Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU Upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
August 9, 2012 1:23:28 PM

Hey everyone!

I'm thinking about building a new rig. Currently I have an Intel i7-860. I bought this cpu about 2 years ago and feel like it's about time for an upgrade. But, after speaking with a friend of mine, he thinks the 860 is just fine and I shouldn't think about upgrading it unless I want to spend some major bucks on one of the higher end processors. I'm looking at a budget of about $1000 for the whole rig. So my question is, is the i7-860 I currently have the best I can get for my money or can I expect to get better performance from something else in the low to mid level range of processors?

Thanks!
Akaleus :hello: 

More about : cpu upgrade

August 9, 2012 1:54:13 PM

I'd say that's a very noticeable performance jump. Almost double in some cases. Thanks for that link! Another question, what's a comparable AMD processor to this 3770k? Should I stick with Intel at the moment?
m
l
Related resources
August 9, 2012 2:01:15 PM

Well the real question to ask is what will the new CPU be used for?

Are you primarily gaming? If so I would stick with what you have because most games are GPU bound with a few exceptions such as BF3, Starcraft2, and Skyrim just to name a few. But even in these games the performance gain of a better CPU is not enough to justify rebuilding your rig, to me at least.

Now if the CPU is going to be used for video editing/authoring, number crunching, folding, or anything else along those lines, then yes, it is a definate performance gain that is worth it.

Also, you could overclock your current CPU if you haven't already. Give it a bump up for some new life until you run it into the ground. Then upgrade :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2012 2:14:26 PM

Whats your OC?

U can overclock up to 3.8 GHz or so...
m
l
August 9, 2012 2:15:30 PM

Haha thanks jerubedo. I primarily use my computer for gaming and graphic design. So I do quite a bit of number crunching. My wife is wanting me to get a new computer so she can play Skyrim on my old one!

Nikorr: thanks again for the comparison.
m
l
August 9, 2012 2:16:44 PM

I'm not overclocking at all at the moment.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2012 2:18:00 PM

That overclock will give u the edge for free, its like free upgrade.
m
l
August 9, 2012 2:19:46 PM

I'm just using the stock fan. Should I change that?
m
l
August 9, 2012 2:21:39 PM

Hah cool. Thanks a lot for sharing! I might think about doing that for a few months then upgrading.
m
l

Best solution

August 9, 2012 2:24:30 PM

Even on a stock fan you can give it a mild overclock. If you want to go to the 3.8ish range I would get a new cooler.

But you already stated that you do graphic design. With that in mind I would definately give you the go ahead on an upgrade. I would do a nice Sandybridge or Sandybridge-E (Ivy Bridge is nice, but nothing great over Sandy Bridge, plus they are running hotter than they should be). Sandybridge also overclocks like nothing you have seen before compared to the 8xx or 9xx series. You can easily get to 4.0 Ghz on stock voltages and with the stock cooler. 4.5+ on an aftermarket cooler.
August 9, 2012 2:25:03 PM

Also Sandybridge does more work clock for clock, so it is far more powerful
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2012 2:25:49 PM

Akaleus said:
Hah cool. Thanks a lot for sharing! I might think about doing that for a few months then upgrading.

These CPU's OC well.
m
l
August 9, 2012 2:29:23 PM

Well I'm not actually planning on upgrading until Christmas. Just trying to get an idea of what to be looking at. I won't be able to afford the latest and greatest. But I really like the price / performance of the 3770k. Thanks for your help!
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2012 2:34:30 PM

Akaleus said:
Well I'm not actually planning on upgrading until Christmas. Just trying to get an idea of what to be looking at. I won't be able to afford the latest and greatest. But I really like the price / performance of the 3770k. Thanks for your help!

Well, overclock for now and get Haswell later : )

Haswell is set to be some ~20% faster than IB CPU's. That's what I would do.
m
l
August 16, 2012 1:32:13 PM

Best answer selected by Akaleus.
m
l
!