WinXP screensaver won't go away

November 24, 2004 1:13:01 PM

No matter what I set my screensaver to, it always goes back to the floating
WINXP LOGO. I've tried uninstalling , changing the winlogo to a different
..bmp and all kind of things. I've installed third party screensavers but
after reboot it always defaults back to the floating XP logo as a
screensaver. I've turned off power options....etc.
HELP

More about : winxp screensaver

November 25, 2004 1:25:18 AM

look in the registry under
HKEY_USERS\++++++\Control Panel\Desktop
the ++++++ means all profiles, under
SCRNSAVE.EXE="what you would like to see"

I would especially look where ++++++ is DEFAULT.

"Primetime" <Primetime@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> No matter what I set my screensaver to, it always goes back to the
> floating
> WINXP LOGO. I've tried uninstalling , changing the winlogo to a different
> .bmp and all kind of things. I've installed third party screensavers but
> after reboot it always defaults back to the floating XP logo as a
> screensaver. I've turned off power options....etc.
> HELP

November 25, 2004 1:25:19 AM

It shows the scr which I've chosen but won't run.
I followed the advice of another post and turned the screensaveractive=0 and
at least now the WinXP doesn't come on but neither does anything else.
All instances shows the correctly chosen scr but no go.....
Thanks but ........

"<©¿©>" wrote:

> look in the registry under
> HKEY_USERS\++++++\Control Panel\Desktop
> the ++++++ means all profiles, under
> SCRNSAVE.EXE="what you would like to see"
>
> I would especially look where ++++++ is DEFAULT.
>
> "Primetime" <Primetime@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > No matter what I set my screensaver to, it always goes back to the
> > floating
> > WINXP LOGO. I've tried uninstalling , changing the winlogo to a different
> > .bmp and all kind of things. I've installed third party screensavers but
> > after reboot it always defaults back to the floating XP logo as a
> > screensaver. I've turned off power options....etc.
> > HELP

Related resources
November 25, 2004 1:25:20 AM

Actually, now that I've rebooted the SCR works as normal.
I guess the registry fix worked but only after reboot.????
thought the registry changes took effect immediately but not this time.
Thanks for the suggestions.

"Primetime" wrote:

> It shows the scr which I've chosen but won't run.
> I followed the advice of another post and turned the screensaveractive=0 and
> at least now the WinXP doesn't come on but neither does anything else.
> All instances shows the correctly chosen scr but no go.....
> Thanks but ........
>
> "<©¿©>" wrote:
>
> > look in the registry under
> > HKEY_USERS\++++++\Control Panel\Desktop
> > the ++++++ means all profiles, under
> > SCRNSAVE.EXE="what you would like to see"
> >
> > I would especially look where ++++++ is DEFAULT.
> >
> > "Primetime" <Primetime@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > No matter what I set my screensaver to, it always goes back to the
> > > floating
> > > WINXP LOGO. I've tried uninstalling , changing the winlogo to a different
> > > .bmp and all kind of things. I've installed third party screensavers but
> > > after reboot it always defaults back to the floating XP logo as a
> > > screensaver. I've turned off power options....etc.
> > > HELP

November 27, 2004 3:58:08 PM

Kool...

FYIO...a lot of the registry tweaks only work after a reboot or a log off
and log on...depending on what you have changed...sometimes they work right
away.

I make it a standard practice to reboot after I've been playing in the
registry.

!