ragingcorey

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
So I already got some basic help on my build but I need help with choosing a good graphics card.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next couple months

BUDGET RANGE: None set, but let's be reasonable no $1000+ set ups.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Maxing out games. Games like BF3, Skyrim, The Witcher 2, GW2 (when it comes out), etc.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: New build so neither, but I'm thinking a Corsair HX750 for the PSU.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: It will be... Intel Core i5-2500k, Asus P8P67 Pro mobo, and Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) the short sticks.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:
newegg

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:
USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: None, I'll take whatever would be the best.

OVERCLOCKING: More than likely

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: If needed.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080, but may get a 1920x1200 in the future.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
Would like the card to have good cooling to overclock. As I said I would like to be able to max out BF3 if it is possible without going to crazy. And I would like the card to be somewhat future proof I don't want to be buying a new one(s) in a year because it isn't good anymore.

Edit:
I'm not sure if it would be best to go with something like 2 GTX560 ti, or 2 6950s. Or if I should just go all out on a single card and get something like the 7970, gtx580, or maybe wait for the nvidia kepler cards and see what they offer.

masterofevil22

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
On that budget I'd go with a 7950. That card can overclock like crrazzy and it'll end up being faster than a stock 7970. Which basically means way faster than a 580 or about even with a 6990 or 590 dual gpu card. That, and if you add one more in the future it will remain power efficient and new architecture means it will play all the latest game for years to come.

Also, I implore you...

GET A SOLID STATE DRIVE!!! Work it into your budget or cut out the hard drive completely and add "storage" later. This is the single biggest improvement to every day computing speed that I've ever seen. Do it

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
AMD RADEON HD 7970 has 3 GB memory and AMD RADEON HD 7990 is going to have 6 GB of memory when it comes out! There isn't going to be a big difference between the cards, because AMD RADEON HD 7990 doesn't have good support for all of the memory, it only supports 3 GB well, so the difference won't be that big! If you want something cheaper you can buy AMD RADEON HD 7950 and overclock it to AMD RADEON HD 7970! You can also wait for the NVIDIA GTX 680 card to come out, but since you want to buy a card these months I am going to tell you what I think! Technologies change really fast so if you want to have a high end card for at least 2 years you will need to buy something very powerful, on the other hand even a single AMD RADEON HD 6850 for $139.99 can max-out Battlefield 3 on 1920x1080 with a decent CPU like yours! If you want to buy a powerful GPU which will be one of the best for a lot of time I recommend buying the AMD RADEON HD 7950 which costs $449.99! Even AMD RADEON HD 6850 can max out BF3 with your CPU, but if you want something very powerful which will last for long in the future I would recommend the HD 7950! If you have time to wait you might as well get the GTX 680, but for now this is the best card price / performance! It might even be better than RADEON HD 7990 if you overclock it! With overclocking the 7950 will have absolutely no problems with Battle Field 3 even on 1920x1200! It will max out the game with a frame rate between 50 and 100 frames per second! This is the best for now and I think that you should buy it!