Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

$1400 system including monitor

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 26, 2012 10:16:11 PM

Hi All,

I will be building a computer for my mom asap. Probably the most important thing about this build is it will have to be as powerful/fast as can be made but still fit inside a small form case. Something from about the size of an audio/video receiver to as small as a Mac mini. The video editing would'nt be more than editing home movies and buring them onto DVDs. She wants it as small as possible so as to not take up much room and look clean.

Approximate purchase date: ASAP

Budget Range: $1400

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Mostly picture editing, some video editing, light gaming, internet/email. Some HD streaming.

Parts Not Required: I wont need any hard drives as I have 2 Patriot Wildfires 120gb I picked up for $110 each.

http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Memory-Wildfire-Solid-PW1...

Besides that I need all including wireless keyboard, mouse and Windows 7. Monitor needs to be at least 24' (27' preferred) and have a built in webcam. Was thinking maybe ASUS 27' for the monitor?

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VK278Q-27-Inch-LED-Monitor/d...

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any but I prefer Amazon since no tax and free shipping. Also I have access to Microcenter stores so I can get something like a i7 2600k for $280+tax or a i7 2700k for $300+tax and I'd save $50 on any motherboard I buy with the processor.

Country: San Francisco Bay Area, CA USA

Parts Preferences: I prefer Intel chips, open on anything else except HP monitors and their reflective screens.

Overclocking: Maybe but only if the cooler can handle it and still fit in the small case.

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: At least 1080

Additional Comments: Please let me know if I forgot some pertinent info.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 2:47:19 PM

you don't ask for much do you :) 

Small and powerful are almost mutually exclusive as the PSU and Video cards are large. SFF usually means only half height video cards which may not game well at 1080p. Heat will be your enemy too. I just build a small gamer/HTPC with this case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

the actual size (sitting as a desktop, not tower as pictured) is: 17"D x 13 W x 6" and will fit a full size 8-9" Video card.

is that too large?

this was my second choice of a case, but because the only PSU big enough to hold the CPU and GPU that would fit the case was $85, I went with the MJ16 so that I could use a less expensive one. (the included PSU's won't hold a i5/i7 and a good GPU)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
these are 10.80" x 5.50" x 12.70" and will hold a full height 8.5" card

mine was a budget build using some parts I removed during an upgrade of my gaming system. you have a much bigger budget than I worked with, so extra $ for the better and smaller formfactor PSU shouldn't be an issue.

I'll work up a build using the inwin bk623/644 case for you later today.

If you really want SFF the best low profile GPU you will get is the HD 6670
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Review:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6570-rade...

hope this give you some insight on what you are asking for.

Note: building small is takes patience and ingenuity and sometimes powertools to make things fit

m
0
l
April 27, 2012 5:56:22 PM

Heh, funny you said that. Same thing I told her when she asked about this. :) 

As far as cases are concerned, I think I'll have to go with a mini ITX case/mobo. I don't think I'll be using a video card after going over some things with her now. Gaming will have to make do with the integrated graphics on the i7 2600k.

From what I understand, photo and light video editing is more CPU dependent unless she was getting into 3D video editing which is not the case. Correct?

Also, we'll be using an external DVD drive in order to save space on a possible case. This helps A LOT in order to get it smaller. The case you linked to is still on the bigger side of where she wants to be. I was looking at something like this InWin case:

http://www.in-win.com.tw/US/products_pccase_series.php?...

It's even small enough to attach to the back of the monitor in one of the pictures. :)  Not saying I'd do that but it could easily hide behind the monitor and not be to thick as to have the monitor be too forward. My only question regarding this case is the PSU it comes with. At only 180w would this suffice for the build I'm going for?

I'm showing her the InWin you linked and I'll get some feedback from her as well.

I really appreciate your help on this. First time going so small. :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 28, 2012 6:07:02 AM

seroism said:


Also, we'll be using an external DVD drive in order to save space on a possible case. This helps A LOT in order to get it smaller. The case you linked to is still on the bigger side of where she wants to be. I was looking at something like this InWin case:

http://www.in-win.com.tw/US/products_pccase_series.php?...

It's even small enough to attach to the back of the monitor in one of the pictures. :)  Not saying I'd do that but it could easily hide behind the monitor and not be to thick as to have the monitor be too forward. My only question regarding this case is the PSU it comes with. At only 180w would this suffice for the build I'm going for?


that PSU is only 120W not 180 and only supports CPU's up to 65W (laptop i7's), so it won't handle a full i7/2600K

knowing that you want REALLY small, I'll look around to see what I can find. I've only done a few SFF ITX builds and I have cursed every time I did, because there just isn't room to work in them.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
April 28, 2012 12:56:25 PM

Case: (these are the same inside, just the bezel is different) - 13.7" x 3.9" x 10.4" Newegg item # N82E16811108196, N82E16811108396
http://www.amazon.com/IN-WIN-Development-Inc-IW-BP655-I...
http://www.amazon.com/IN-WIN-Development-Inc-IW-BP671-2...
$57 or $62

PSU: (upgraded to handle i7 2700K)
http://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-SS-300TFX-80PLUS-BRONZE-...
$49

GPU: (you really should have a dedicated GPU instead of using the IGP of the i7 for video/picture editting - could only find at newegg) This will give some 'light' gaming capability also.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$90

Motherboard: (could only find at newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$150

CPU:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
$300

Ram:
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Profile-PC3-128...
$54

Monitor:
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VK278Q-27-Inch-LED-Monitor/d...
$300

DVD/BR: (I chose a BR)
http://www.amazon.com/LG-WH12LS38K-Internal-Blu-Ray-Lig...
$84

KB/Mouse:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Combo-Keyboard-...
$46

addtional items: (Cables, quiet fan, Win7/64 OEM)
http://www.amazon.com/APEVIA-P4-TO-P8-Cable/dp/B003F6VQ...
$5
http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Suscol-7-Bladed-Desig...
$9
http://www.amazon.com/2-port-Splitter-Power-Cable-15-pi...
$2
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Buil...
$100
--------
$1252 w/o shipping and any tax

Plus your SSD's (hopefully they came with the 3.5" to 2.5" adapters)
Share
April 29, 2012 6:22:33 AM

Yea it's going to be hard to work in I bet lol. I have big hands so I'm not looking forward to getting them scraped but with Mother's Day coming up, I can't say no. :) 

This looks like a very solid build. I have one question regarding the PSU. I noticed in the details it says it doesn't come with the power cord. When I search PS-C10A-US|PC POWER CORD C10A-US, laptop type power cords come up. Is this right? Also, if I don't overclock, would a z68 or h77 mobo with an i7 2600 be good enough?

Something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Thanks again for the advice. Always good to get advice from those who've been through this kind of build.



m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 29, 2012 1:18:24 PM

the 2600 and a H77 MB would be fine for you application, you shouldn't be over clocking in the case anyway :) 

going the 2600/h77 route will save some money with no real performance hit. Just make sure you go with the dedicated HD6670 GPU, as the IGP on a 2600 is only the HD2000 graphics.

The only thing is you might need a 24 pin power extension cable to reach the 24pin connector on the h77 MB as it is located on the side. it just depends on the length of the cable, you might be ok though.

if you go with either of the cases I suggested above they both come with power cables already that will fit the seasonic PSU.
m
0
l
April 29, 2012 5:09:32 PM

This probably isnt what you are wanting to do but to me it seems the easiest option would be to buy a laptop and use it as a desktop you have your smallform but a lower processing power. I bought a similar laptop for travel and work but I dont do video editing

http://www.amazon.com/N53SV-EH71-15-6-Inch-Versatile-En... $900

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Display: 15.6-inch LED-backlit HD display (1366 x 768)
Processor: 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2670QM processor (2.2 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.1 GHz)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M graphics with 1GB DDR3 VRAM and NVIDIA Optimus Technology
WLAN: 802.11 b/g/n (@ 2.4GHz) , Bluetooth v3.0
LAN: 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
Memory: 6GB DDR3 SDRAM, 2 x SODIMM socket (expandable to 16GB SDRAM)
Storage: 500GB 7200RPM hard drive
Optical Drive: DL DVD±RW/CD-RW
Camera: 2.0 megapixel
Speakers: Built-in speakers with SonicMaster Technology
Microphone: Digital Array Microphone
Card Reader: 5 in 1 card reader SD,MMC,MS,MS-Pro,MS-Duo
Input / Output:1x Headphone-out jack, 1x Microphone-in jack, 1x VGA port, 1x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert, 2x USB 2.0 ports, 1x USB 3.0 port1x HDMI port
Battery: 6 cell
Dimensions: 15.6" x 10.6" x 1.2" ~ 1.6" (W x D x H)
Weight: 6.4Lbs with 6 Cell battery
Color: Silver Aluminum

Buying the laptop you get your windows and your optic drive is self contained instead of going with an external
m
0
l
April 30, 2012 2:17:34 AM

Best answer selected by seroism.
m
0
l
April 30, 2012 2:18:29 AM

jerreddredd said:
the 2600 and a H77 MB would be fine for you application, you shouldn't be over clocking in the case anyway :) 

going the 2600/h77 route will save some money with no real performance hit. Just make sure you go with the dedicated HD6670 GPU, as the IGP on a 2600 is only the HD2000 graphics.

The only thing is you might need a 24 pin power extension cable to reach the 24pin connector on the h77 MB as it is located on the side. it just depends on the length of the cable, you might be ok though.

if you go with either of the cases I suggested above they both come with power cables already that will fit the seasonic PSU.



Great. Thanks so much. You've been a huge help.
m
0
l
April 30, 2012 2:20:53 AM

simonb530 said:
This probably isnt what you are wanting to do but to me it seems the easiest option would be to buy a laptop and use it as a desktop you have your smallform but a lower processing power. I bought a similar laptop for travel and work but I dont do video editing

http://www.amazon.com/N53SV-EH71-15-6-Inch-Versatile-En... $900

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Display: 15.6-inch LED-backlit HD display (1366 x 768)
Processor: 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2670QM processor (2.2 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.1 GHz)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M graphics with 1GB DDR3 VRAM and NVIDIA Optimus Technology
WLAN: 802.11 b/g/n (@ 2.4GHz) , Bluetooth v3.0
LAN: 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
Memory: 6GB DDR3 SDRAM, 2 x SODIMM socket (expandable to 16GB SDRAM)
Storage: 500GB 7200RPM hard drive
Optical Drive: DL DVD±RW/CD-RW
Camera: 2.0 megapixel
Speakers: Built-in speakers with SonicMaster Technology
Microphone: Digital Array Microphone
Card Reader: 5 in 1 card reader SD,MMC,MS,MS-Pro,MS-Duo
Input / Output:1x Headphone-out jack, 1x Microphone-in jack, 1x VGA port, 1x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert, 2x USB 2.0 ports, 1x USB 3.0 port1x HDMI port
Battery: 6 cell
Dimensions: 15.6" x 10.6" x 1.2" ~ 1.6" (W x D x H)
Weight: 6.4Lbs with 6 Cell battery
Color: Silver Aluminum

Buying the laptop you get your windows and your optic drive is self contained instead of going with an external



Yea I know about the small form but the thing is my mom doesn't like laptops. She much rather prefers sitting at a desk since it's more comfortable instead of being hunched in front of a laptop. Plus she wants the larger screen of at least 24" so that's also a huge knock against laptops for her. :) 
m
0
l
April 30, 2012 3:14:07 PM

jerreddredd said:
the 2600 and a H77 MB would be fine for you application, you shouldn't be over clocking in the case anyway :) 

going the 2600/h77 route will save some money with no real performance hit. Just make sure you go with the dedicated HD6670 GPU, as the IGP on a 2600 is only the HD2000 graphics.

The only thing is you might need a 24 pin power extension cable to reach the 24pin connector on the h77 MB as it is located on the side. it just depends on the length of the cable, you might be ok though.

if you go with either of the cases I suggested above they both come with power cables already that will fit the seasonic PSU.



Looks like I'll be picking up a i7 3770 for only $260 from Microcenter. They'll have them on sale today.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

So, excluding the light gaming part, would the HD 4500 graphics be enough for what she wants?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 1, 2012 10:40:22 AM

seroism said:
Looks like I'll be picking up a i7 3770 for only $260 from Microcenter. They'll have them on sale today.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

So, excluding the light gaming part, would the HD 4500 graphics be enough for what she wants?


the ivy CPU will run much cooler @ 77W than the Sandy @ 95W, good choice.

I think you mean Intel® HD Graphics 4000. yes, in theory, but you really want to separate the CPU and GPU when doing video or photo editing (in my book anyways) the IGP shares the system RAM (which is slower than the ram on a discreet GPU). In theory you want to off load the graphics function from the CPU to let the CPU do what it does best.

It will work though, I just think it would work better with a discreet GPU. its your call and your $90 (for the GPU). You could always try it w/o a GPU and add it later if needed.
m
0
l
May 1, 2012 2:22:24 PM

jerreddredd said:
the ivy CPU will run much cooler @ 77W than the Sandy @ 95W, good choice.

I think you mean Intel® HD Graphics 4000. yes, in theory, but you really want to separate the CPU and GPU when doing video or photo editing (in my book anyways) the IGP shares the system RAM (which is slower than the ram on a discreet GPU). In theory you want to off load the graphics function from the CPU to let the CPU do what it does best.

It will work though, I just think it would work better with a discreet GPU. its your call and your $90 (for the GPU). You could always try it w/o a GPU and add it later if needed.



I think that's what I'll try first. See how it goes and if not, I can always add it in later. I went ahead and ordered everything so far except the kb/mouse since we'll be going to Fry's so she can see which one she likes best. :) 

Thanks for all your help.
m
0
l
May 1, 2012 2:22:24 PM

jerreddredd said:
the ivy CPU will run much cooler @ 77W than the Sandy @ 95W, good choice.

I think you mean Intel® HD Graphics 4000. yes, in theory, but you really want to separate the CPU and GPU when doing video or photo editing (in my book anyways) the IGP shares the system RAM (which is slower than the ram on a discreet GPU). In theory you want to off load the graphics function from the CPU to let the CPU do what it does best.

It will work though, I just think it would work better with a discreet GPU. its your call and your $90 (for the GPU). You could always try it w/o a GPU and add it later if needed.



I think that's what I'll try first. See how it goes and if not, I can always add it in later. I went ahead and ordered everything so far except the kb/mouse since we'll be going to Fry's so she can see which one she likes best. :) 

Thanks for all your help.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 1, 2012 4:41:44 PM

seroism said:
I think that's what I'll try first. See how it goes and if not, I can always add it in later. I went ahead and ordered everything so far except the kb/mouse since we'll be going to Fry's so she can see which one she likes best. :) 

Thanks for all your help.


good luck with the build. happy mothers day to your mom from me.
m
0
l
!