Sign in with
Your question

Problems removing CPU cooler from CPU

Last response: in CPUs
August 9, 2012 2:47:59 PM

Hello

I have an AMD 1055t with default cooler attached to a ASUS Crosshair Formula IV. Iv noticed that the fan is getting very dusty, but now that i want to remove it, its completely unwilling to come off.

I have removed the two "things" that attaches it to the socket, but hell, still glued. I cant see any other way to get it off, no screws or anything

August 9, 2012 2:50:12 PM

You are going to have to pull a little bit. The thermal paste is what is keeping it stuck on. Don't pull terribly hard, but you will need a little bit of force.
August 9, 2012 2:53:04 PM

Would i need to re-apply thermal paste when i put it back on, cause i dont have any more :( 
Related resources
August 9, 2012 2:55:32 PM

It is usually a good idea to replace the thermal paste, yes. But if you can't, you should still be okay. Just make sure you don't wipe any of it off.
August 9, 2012 3:57:14 PM

Maybe secure it again and run it for a few minutes to warm the paste up a little. Sometimes you get a tiny bit of sideways wiggle room, be patient should come off without too much force.
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2012 4:07:30 PM

You can goto your local Radio Shack store and get some Artic Silver 5 Thermal paste to replace your existing paste.
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2012 4:44:01 PM

Like womble said, secure it. Heat it up. Run an antivirus scan. Turn it off. Unhook it, twist. Don't pull straight up. The processor will come out of the socket.

If you don't have to do this, don't do it. There is always a chance of bending CPU pins.
a c 101 à CPUs
August 9, 2012 4:54:19 PM

When removing "stuck" heatsinks, adding a little bit of torque usually makes it easier to pull it off.

Pulling straight creates a vacuum under the heatsink that draws the thickened/settled paste back in, which requires a fair amount of force. Twisting breaks the surface tension to let air in which makes it much easier to separate surfaces.
!