Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Would this be a decent gaming computer?

Last response: in Systems
April 26, 2012 11:10:11 PM

I have never played on a desktop before so I really have no clue. Would this run battlefield 3 on medium?

GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-S2 AM3+ NVIDIA GeForce 7025/nForce 630a chipset Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

ePOWER EP-500NE-XV 500W ATX12V v2.2 / ESP12V v2.91 Power Supply

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX955WFK4DGM - OEM

CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A1600C9

More about : decent gaming computer

a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 12:12:07 AM

What's your budget? Use the stickied thread at the top of this forum (New Systems, or Homebuilt) to let us help you.

I really wouldn't go with AMD. I'd really, really, really go with Intel.
April 27, 2012 12:38:06 AM

ddan49 said:
What's your budget? Use the stickied thread at the top of this forum (New Systems, or Homebuilt) to let us help you.

I really wouldn't go with AMD. I'd really, really, really go with Intel.

If possible I would like to keep it close to $500 which is what I'm at right now. Are there any better components around the same price that I should get instead?
Related resources
April 27, 2012 12:44:05 AM

AMD is just fine i can play bf3 rly rly good.

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 1:27:13 AM

AMD is definitely NOT something I would suggest. Look at some (any) gaming benchmarks if you don't believe me. But seriously--trust me on this. Do you need an OS, keyboard, monitor, mouse, or speakers/headset included? I'm going to assume no. In that case, here is a build that will play BF3 on medium and be a great computer at the same time:

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($115.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Intel DH67CLB3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.93 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 6850 1GB Video Card ($137.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 400W ATX12V Power Supply ($42.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($25.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $583.40
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2012-04-26 21:24 EDT-0400)

Unfortunately, as you can tell, I ended up at $583... and I couldn't get it any lower without sacrificing something major. I would try as hard as possible to not go any lower. I guess you could get 4GB of RAM, and skip the DVD drive (make sure you can still install Windows) to save about $35, but switch anything else and you sacrifice major performance. After this mark, any more money you spend increases the performance of the build exponentially until about $850... benefits after that start to level off. Price/performance, I'd have to say this is pretty good.

April 27, 2012 1:34:28 AM

ddan49 said:
AMD is definitely NOT something I would suggest. Look at some (any) gaming benchmarks if you don't believe me. But seriously--trust me on this. Do you need an OS, keyboard, monitor, mouse, or speakers/headset included? I'm going to assume no. In that case, here is a build that will play BF3 on medium and be a great computer at the same time:

Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.93 @ Amazon)

Unfortunately, as you can tell, I ended up at $583... and I couldn't get it any lower without sacrificing something major. I would try as hard as possible to not go any lower. I guess you could get 4GB of RAM, and skip the DVD drive (make sure you can still install Windows) to save about $35, but switch anything else and you sacrifice major performance. After this mark, any more money you spend increases the performance of the build exponentially until about $850... benefits after that start to level off. Price/performance, I'd have to say this is pretty good.

Wow, that's a lot of info, thanks. I could probably try to get a bundle deal on newegg as well. I see you recommended a dual-core, would it improve performance at all if I invested more money and got a quad-core?
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 1:43:43 AM

It would, but it would involve... investing more money haha.

Gaming performance would improve more by investing more in a 6870 or even higher.

Don't go with AMD just because of the quad-cores, though... quad-cores are only starting to be utilized in most games. If it's CPU vs GPU, upgrade the GPU.
April 27, 2012 1:52:41 AM

ddan49 said:
It would, but it would involve... investing more money haha.

Gaming performance would improve more by investing more in a 6870 or even higher.

Don't go with AMD just because of the quad-cores, though... quad-cores are only starting to be utilized in most games. If it's CPU vs GPU, upgrade the GPU.

OK, I'll probably just stick with what you gave me, but one last question. I'm just going off the ratings here, but it seems like a lot of people either love or hate the motherboard you recommended, are there any other ones that you can recommend which are more reliable?
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 2:00:32 AM

For more money, the ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3. But it's like $105. Mobos under that price are generally pretty hard to find.
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 2:09:29 AM

timnswede said:
Wow, that's a lot of info, thanks. I could probably try to get a bundle deal on newegg as well. I see you recommended a dual-core, would it improve performance at all if I invested more money and got a quad-core?

Its a lot of info, unfortunately its not accurate. I would spend the slight extra and get a Phenom II 965, not the 955 however. Fact is, in gaming the i3 performs about the same as the 965. Been thru this already in too many threads, so forgive me if I just direct you here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/343723-31-budget-syst...
April 27, 2012 2:16:12 AM

ddan49 said:

Seriously, KNOCK IT OFF with the fanboy rhetoric, the Phenom II is still a very viable choice for a budget gaming system. Quit acting like its comparing a Yugo to a Ferrari. More like a Toyota to a Honda with the Phenom II vs the i3.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 2:22:44 AM

Who said I was acting like a fanboy? I simply said that I personally wouldn't suggest AMD. Interestingly enough, you didn't seem to suggest/show any benchmarks. Let's have a look at tomshardware's recommended gaming CPUs:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

Oh, hey, would you look at that... Intel seems to win every single category above $100. There's the trusty old i3-2120, winning the $130 aware (you can get it for $116 at SuperBiiz).

Let's look at some other things, now:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/318023-28-phenom-2120

Oh, look, Intel i3-2120 beats the Phenom on gaming:
http://www.digitalversus.com/cpu/face-off/7289-11139-sc...

Need I go on? I can, if you want me to.
April 27, 2012 2:24:01 AM

ddan49 said:
Who said I was acting like a fanboy? I simply said that I personally wouldn't suggest AMD. Interestingly enough, you didn't seem to suggest/show any benchmarks. Let's have a look at tomshardware's recommended gaming CPUs:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

Oh, hey, would you look at that... Intel seems to win every single category above $100. There's the trusty old i3-2120, winning the $130 aware (you can get it for $116 at SuperBiiz).

Let's look at some other things, now:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/318023-28-phenom-2120

Oh, look, Intel i3-2120 beats the Phenom on gaming:
http://www.digitalversus.com/cpu/face-off/7289-11139-sc...

Need I go on? I can, if you want me to.

Actually I did, if you bothered to read the thread I linked to. Again, unless you own both products, sit down sir. You don't take the time to read what I've already gone over, you don't really think I'm going to waste my time reading your blithering do you?
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 2:28:23 AM

I'm not going to argue with you any more until you stop being the fanboy you seem to be (you're running AMD, and are arguing for it in the face of benchmarks). Replying to your "benchmarks":
Did you LOOK at the link? Here is exactly what the benchmark showed:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

Will you please notice how the i3-2100 (which is less highly powered than the i3-2120) STILL beats the 955 by a wide margin.

Also, I do not have to own a CPU in order to know about it. I'm not saying that any information you give me about outer space is invalid simply because you haven't been there, am I? Indeed, sir, I think it is YOU who should sit down :lol: 
April 27, 2012 2:30:47 AM

And if you think 1 FPS is a real difference, you're an idiot. But I don't think you're an idiot, just opinionated. I can relate.

You also should read the "fine print" before you start posting links:

Quote:
Moving onto Battlefield 3, we get a single-player test that puts a much stronger emphasis on graphics performance, though a capable CPU is much more necessary for a smooth multi-player experience.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 2:31:43 AM

Just in case you still don't believe me:

Notice that here, quad core CPUs do better. It's because StarCraft is more CPU dependent than GPU dependent (like first person shooters)
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 2:32:14 AM

nekulturny said:
And if you think 1 FPS is a real difference, you're an idiot.

You also should read the "fine print" before you start posting links:

Quote:
Moving onto Battlefield 3, we get a single-player test that puts a much stronger emphasis on graphics performance, though a capable CPU is much more necessary for a smooth multi-player experience.

Oh my god. Did you even read it? It said it was CLEARLY bottlenecked by the GPU.
April 27, 2012 2:33:32 AM

Been through all those benchmarks in the other thread I linked to, which you clearly didn't read. Seriously, I've read that article 20 times. Theres no need to post graphics of every single chart, especially considering I addressed that once again.. in this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/343723-31-budget-syst...

April 27, 2012 2:34:34 AM

ddan49 said:

Any chance you've got a link to that ~$850 build in another thread?
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 2:36:12 AM

Again, if you actually looked at the benchmarks of the article you linked that I put graphics of above, then you'd see that the Phenom actually loses. I don't think I'm looking at the graphs you mean for me to look at, though. I'm getting a page that shows the setup.

Also, I put the graphics for the benefit of the OP ;) 
April 27, 2012 2:36:49 AM

ddan49 said:
Oh my god. Did you even read it? It said it was CLEARLY bottlenecked by the GPU.

Look, I'm not going to have this debate again, its seriously old, boring and tiresome and I have better things to do with my time. Back to the subject of not critiquing things you don't own and havent tested yourself, I defer to Jimmy Buffet "Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it, don't ever forget that you just might end up being wrong". My final answer is to invite the OP to read the thread I linked to which already covers enough information to make an informed decision between the two CPUs.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 2:39:08 AM

AntaresX said:
Any chance you've got a link to that ~$850 build in another thread?

Huh? I'll link it here (by the way, it doesn't include an HDD. Also, I'm only going to link to the list instead of showing the entire build since it's off-topic): http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7nAm
April 27, 2012 2:41:19 AM

Not to mention the fact that I provided screenshots showing that very article you're referring to with the sub 200 dollar CPUs that Tomshardware published is flawed for AT LEAST one game.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 2:42:17 AM

nekulturny said:
Look, I'm not going to have this debate again, its seriously old, boring and tiresome and I have better things to do with my time. Back to the subject of not critiquing things you don't own and havent tested yourself, I defer to Jimmy Buffet "Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it, don't ever forget that you just might end up being wrong". My final answer is to invite the OP to read the thread I linked to which already covers enough information to make an informed decision between the two CPUs.

Why would my opinion change if I actually owned it? Don't the benchmarks speak for themselves? So far, you haven't produced one iota of actual evidence that the Phenom is better. The article you've linked to in fact has graphs that clearly show the i3-2100 (not 2120, they had a different chip there. The i3-2120 is better) producing better benchmarks. Your main argument has been that it's "good enough for me"... however, that doesn't have any relevance at all, because we are talking about it compared to other CPUs. You can't try to tell me that your CPU is better than the one they benchmarked, or that it can get better benchmarks.

Also, that quote... well... I guess you don't have any authority on anything you haven't seen. Basically, I disagree with that quote, even though it's completely off-topic. Have you tested Intel chips, by the way?
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 2:43:07 AM

nekulturny said:
Not to mention the fact that I provided screenshots showing that very article you're referring to with the sub 200 dollar CPUs that Tomshardware published is flawed for AT LEAST one game.

What? Show me ONE benchmark (gaming) that shows the Phenom performing better. As long as it's reputable, I'm okay with it.
April 27, 2012 2:45:16 AM

nekulturny said:

Even if the Phenom II was competitive with the I3, which I am not going to deny or affirm, the AM3+ platform is a dead upgrade path since Piledriver will be on a different platform. In addition, with the I3, he can simply upgrade to ivy bridge in the future when he has the money and then beat any of the current AM3/AM3+ CPUs by a fairly large to large margin when gaming and save money while he's at it because he would not need to buy a new motherboard.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 2:48:15 AM

FYI, Youngmind, the LGA 1155 won't work for Haswell, either. Also, I wouldn't upgrade from SB to IB... either go IB, or stay SB.
April 27, 2012 2:48:58 AM

Youngmind said:
Even if the Phenom II was competitive with the I3, which I am not going to deny or affirm, the AM3+ platform is a dead upgrade path since Piledriver will be on a different platform. In addition, with the I3, he can simply upgrade to ivy bridge in the future when he has the money and then beat any of the current AM3/AM3+ CPUs by a fairly large to large margin when gaming and save money while he's at it because he would not need to buy a new motherboard.

Sure, fair enough. But LGA1155 is equally dead. Ivy Bridge (which so far is not proving to be much of an improvement over Sandy Bridge) is set to be the final generation on the LGA1155 socket.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 2:50:07 AM

We agree on something! :) 
April 27, 2012 2:51:18 AM

ddan49 said:
What? Show me ONE benchmark (gaming) that shows the Phenom performing better. As long as it's reputable, I'm okay with it.

I showed my benchmarks showing that my system benches Metro 2033 higher than what Tom's reported, both minimum and maximum FPS. I got no reason to lie about it, the screenshots I linked to have the FRAPS frame rate overlay in tact. Are you accusing me of forging them? I may be an opinionated jerk at times, but I'm not quite that dastardly. :pfff: 
April 27, 2012 2:55:41 AM

.Not picking sides here, but I'll go with the Intel based off the graphs. Your argument produced a lot of useful information for me. :) 
April 27, 2012 2:56:02 AM

I'd also add that Tom's Hardware slaps "recommended buy" stickers on products, had a guy bring a PC to be built into my school's repair clinic that the students (including me run), it was a Gigabyte Z68 motherboard, on the front of the box it has "Tom's Hardware recommended buy". I'd say under that logic, Tom's (not saying that they are mind you) has more motive to forge results than I do.
April 27, 2012 2:57:07 AM

timnswede said:
.Not picking sides here, but I'll go with the Intel based off the graphs. Your argument produced a lot of useful information for me. :) 

Good luck with your build, just in case you misunderstood me, its not my desire to talk you into buying something, but rather provide you with objective information to help you make a choice. Its not my money thats being spent, and you're the one who has to be happy with your investment. :hello: 

If you need any more help, just shoot me a PM or reply to the thread.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 3:00:11 AM

nekulturny said:
I showed my benchmarks showing that my system benches Metro 2033 higher than what Tom's reported, both minimum and maximum FPS. I got no reason to lie about it, the screenshots I linked to have the FRAPS frame rate overlay in tact. Are you accusing me of forging them? I may be an opinionated jerk at times, but I'm not quite that dastardly. :pfff: 

I'm just wondering if you had a different GPU... that would definitely make a difference.

Also, accusing tom's of forging is a pretty serious accusation. Anyway..

Good luck on your build! I'm sure both nekulturny and I can help you once you've chosen your parts... even if you had decided on AMD, I would have had no problem helping you with your build, and I'm sure nekulturny can say the same. Feel free to pm me if you need any more help, or post here! Good luck! :hello: 

(P.S. Remember... Windows 64 bit. So many newbies make that mistake...)
April 27, 2012 3:05:59 AM

ddan49 said:
I'm just wondering if you had a different GPU... that would definitely make a difference.

Good luck on your build! I'm sure both nekulturny and I can help you once you've chosen your parts... even if you had decided on AMD, I would have had no problem helping you with your build, and I'm sure nekulturny can say the same. Feel free to pm me if you need any more help, or post here! Good luck! :hello: 

I know its a serious accusation to make. However, Intel indeed does have something of a reputation of bribery and otherwise unethical, and unlawful business practices. Whether AMD or Intel is the best choice, there are court settlements and federal fines to back that up. So, serious accusation or not, its something to bear in mind.

As far as my results, I put my CPU-Z validator in that forum thread. If you look at that thread, you can see where a guy challenged me on my results, which prompted me to respond with the screenshots. My guess is what happened with the Tom's reports, is they didn't exclude the outliers. For the purpose of benchmarks, I would consider a dip in the frame rate during loading of another level, cutscene, whatever to be an outlier, and should be excluded, since when you're benchmarking, its what the framerates during actual gameplay that matter (at least in my opinion). Although like I said in that thread, I can't account for the fact that the game may or may not have had its coding cleaned up for a release on Steam.
April 27, 2012 3:06:47 AM

ddan49 said:

Wait are you saying windows 64 bit is a mistake? I am complete noob when it comes to computers, I'll admit that.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 3:08:35 AM

NO! Windows 64 bit is what you need to get! It accommodates the 8GB of RAM.
April 27, 2012 3:21:43 AM

Best answer selected by timnswede.
April 27, 2012 4:07:59 AM

LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
Item #: N82E16827106289
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

$16.99

RAIDMAX Reiter ATX-305WB Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811156255
-$10.00 Instant
$15.00 Mail-in Rebate

$49.99
$39.99

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD2500AAKX 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822136771
-$5.00 Instant

$74.99
$69.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT
Item #: N82E16820231253
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy

$24.99

EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Item #: N82E16814130625
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
Thermaltake Smart SP-530P 530W ATX 12V 2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Item #: N82E16817153151
-$15.00 Instant
-$14.00 Combo
$20.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$10.00 Mail-in Rebate Card

$204.98
$175.98

Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32100
Item #: N82E16819115078
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813157279
-$10.00 Instant
-$15.00 Combo

$239.98
$214.98
Subtotal: $542.92

Note COMBOs were needed to get to 500 after MIR.
I'd rather save till you can spend 650-700 tho.

!