bloodmage7

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Hi,

I want to know whether one can use Ivy Bridge on H61 MOBO. I am planning to go for core i5 3450, if it runs on H61. I think it does support H61, but then I will need to update the BIOS. What is the procedure to update BIOS?
In gaming, does 3450 have an edge over 2120?

Edit for typos. :)

Solution

You would be better off upping the video card. Leave the CPU alone, its the least of your concerns with a 6770. A better CPU cannot make that weak video card perform better. I would suggest looking for something like a 7850, or better. Then and only then would I worry about the CPU.

bloodmage7

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012

But, ASUStek says you can use it by updating the BIOS. Does it run smooth? Procedure to update?

May very well require a sandy bridge chip in order to get the system to POST so you can actually do a bios update to make the Ivy Bridge CPU work. Bottom line, save a few extra bucks and get a proper motherboard good lord lol.

Certain games, it absolutely does. More info is needed though to tell you whether its a justifiable upgrade. Are you saying you already have an i3-2120 with an h61 mobo? What video card are you running? What games are you playing? What resolution?

If you already own that motherboard and a Sandy Bridge CPU, then all you have to do is flash the BIOS. Not really difficult.

If you do not have that motherboard, then you need to buy it, along with both a Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPU. Once flashed you can then install the Ivy Bridge CPU.

Or just buy an Ivy Bridge CPU and a B75 or H77 chipset motherboard.

bloodmage7

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012

Saving some bucks seems a good option. :)
Thanks.

bloodmage7

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012

In games like crysis, skyrim, diablo, NFS, BF3, COD MW3 at 1080p? GPU is 6770.

You would be better off upping the video card. Leave the CPU alone, its the least of your concerns with a 6770. A better CPU cannot make that weak video card perform better. I would suggest looking for something like a 7850, or better. Then and only then would I worry about the CPU.

Solution
Thanks guys you make it easy for me. If you upgrade the Bios you can use a 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processor on a H61 chipset series board. However you must have the supported Bios on the board before you can use the processor. For example on the Intel Desktop board DH61DL you must have minimum Bios version of 0042 before you can use the 3rd generation Intel Core processors on it.

bilisnegra

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
If you don't previously own a H61 build, as previously noted... at least as long as we speak of "regular" prices. My situation is somewhat different. I've got a remarkably cheap H61 board from ebay (P8H61-M PRO), as well as a 3450 Ivy Bridge i5, but forgot about that little detail of needing a Sandy Bridge processor in order for the system to POST and the BIOS update to be possible. You might think, there's nothing I can do but trying to sell the board ASAP and forgeting about it. YET, there might be another option: REMEMBER THERE ARE SANDY BRIDGE CELERONS if you're in my situation. Don't know about prices worldwide, but the most entry level Sandy can be this cheap: http://www.pccomponentes.com/intel_celeron_g460_1_8ghz_box_socket_1155.html

Needless to say, I would sell the celeron right after that, almost unused, I don't think it's hard to sell it for more than half the retail price, dirt cheap as it is.

Might sound as a bit too much hassle, but the choice being having to sell either the mobo or the processor, the "dummy celeron" option could be worth considering, don't you think?