How to install Graphics Card

bucki11

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2012
Ok, I built a new system, installed windows and just picked up my graphics card today. My question is do i have to go back into bios to set up the PCIE 's for my card? Does this mean I have to clear all bios and start over or can I some how do this through the windows control panel?

Motherboard - Asrock Z68 X7 Gen3
Card - EVGA Nvidia geforce 680.

bucki11

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2012
I tried to install the card but when I turned on the computer the screen stayed black? So I took the card out and turned on the computer and everything came on. Where are the drivers located?

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I mean this in the least insulting way possible but I find it absolutely hilarious that you've managed to get your hands on the fastest single GPU card (which is sold out almost everywhere) yet you don't know how to install it.

bucki11

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2012
Ha, me too. This was my first build everything went pretty smooth for the most part. Thought all I had to do was disconnect the kb,ms,monitor install the card, reconnect everything and turn the CPU back on. The problem was the screen nevercame back on so I consulted the manual and it said something about the drivers in the troubleshooting section. The thing is I never had another card in this computer so how do I uninstall something that wasn't there.

As for getting the card I have been on a had somone hold onto one for me at microcenter, they get 2 every couple of weeks, Ha one was a ZOTAC the other (mine) EVGA.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Most motherboards will automatically change to PCIe graphics when a discrete GPU is installed, but it doesn't hurt checking the BIOS for an option like that. Also make sure your cables are properly hooked up to the new GPU. You need the monitor cable (obviously), but there are also 2 PCIe power cables that need to be plugged in which you may have forgotten.

kelthic

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012

Install the graphics card into the slot and disable integrated video in your bios or from the device manager in Windows. http://www.wikihow.com/Disable-Onboard/Integrated-Video-On-Your-Computer

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

It's actually the same digital signal.

I'm laughing at plugging it back into the motherboard :lol: You're not the first person I've seen do that. the integrated graphics in the CPU automatically disables itself if it doesn't detect a monitor and detects a discrete graphics card. Good lesson learned, I hope. enjoy your GTX680 :cry: