Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to install Graphics Card

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 26, 2012 11:47:32 PM

Ok, I built a new system, installed windows and just picked up my graphics card today. My question is do i have to go back into bios to set up the PCIE 's for my card? Does this mean I have to clear all bios and start over or can I some how do this through the windows control panel?

Motherboard - Asrock Z68 X7 Gen3
Card - EVGA Nvidia geforce 680.

More about : install graphics card

a b B Homebuilt system
April 26, 2012 11:50:41 PM

All you have to do is get the correct drivers for the card. But, first, use DriverSweeper to get rid of any pre-existing drivers that are installed.
m
0
l
April 26, 2012 11:57:02 PM

I tried to install the card but when I turned on the computer the screen stayed black? So I took the card out and turned on the computer and everything came on. Where are the drivers located?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2012 12:02:10 AM

I mean this in the least insulting way possible but I find it absolutely hilarious that you've managed to get your hands on the fastest single GPU card (which is sold out almost everywhere) yet you don't know how to install it.
m
0
l
April 27, 2012 12:10:15 AM

Ha, me too. This was my first build everything went pretty smooth for the most part. Thought all I had to do was disconnect the kb,ms,monitor install the card, reconnect everything and turn the CPU back on. The problem was the screen nevercame back on so I consulted the manual and it said something about the drivers in the troubleshooting section. The thing is I never had another card in this computer so how do I uninstall something that wasn't there.

As for getting the card I have been on a had somone hold onto one for me at microcenter, they get 2 every couple of weeks, Ha one was a ZOTAC the other (mine) EVGA.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 12:12:30 AM

Did you connect the monitor to the card or the mother board?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2012 12:13:55 AM

Most motherboards will automatically change to PCIe graphics when a discrete GPU is installed, but it doesn't hurt checking the BIOS for an option like that. Also make sure your cables are properly hooked up to the new GPU. You need the monitor cable (obviously), but there are also 2 PCIe power cables that need to be plugged in which you may have forgotten.
m
0
l
April 27, 2012 12:14:40 AM

I connected back to the mother board
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2012 12:15:46 AM

bucki11 said:
Ha, me too. This was my first build everything went pretty smooth for the most part. Thought all I had to do was disconnect the kb,ms,monitor install the card, reconnect everything and turn the CPU back on. The problem was the screen nevercame back on so I consulted the manual and it said something about the drivers in the troubleshooting section. The thing is I never had another card in this computer so how do I uninstall something that wasn't there.

As for getting the card I have been on a had somone hold onto one for me at microcenter, they get 2 every couple of weeks, Ha one was a ZOTAC the other (mine) EVGA.


Install the graphics card into the slot and disable integrated video in your bios or from the device manager in Windows. http://www.wikihow.com/Disable-Onboard/Integrated-Video...
m
0
l
April 27, 2012 12:16:01 AM

No I plugged the power caples in but I didn't connect the DVi to the GPU
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2012 12:17:34 AM

bucki11 said:
No I plugged the power caples in but I didn't connect the DVi to the GPU

That's your problem then. It was working but you didn't have the output plugged in to the monitor.
m
0
l
April 27, 2012 12:22:24 AM

aicom said:
That's your problem then. It was working but you didn't have the output plugged in to the monitor.



Ok, but I have two DVi slots on card which one do I use
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2012 12:23:37 AM

Either should be fine.
m
0
l
April 27, 2012 12:30:09 AM

Ok, one more question. My monitor has bothe VGA and DVi. Do I also connect the VGA to the other DVI slot using the adapter?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2012 12:31:40 AM

You only need one connected and DVI is better than VGA.
m
0
l
April 27, 2012 12:46:20 AM

Ok, thanks for the help aicom and others, It is installing know.

m
0
l
April 27, 2012 4:45:03 AM

Get a HD monitor man! You have a 680!
m
0
l
April 27, 2012 12:27:53 PM

I have an HD monitor, LCD/LED backlit but it didn't come with an HDMI cord. I'll pick up one when I get the chance
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 2:37:17 PM

Honestly, there's virtually no difference between HDMI and DVI. Not noticeable anyways.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2012 2:47:18 PM

jrwizbang said:
Honestly, there's virtually no difference between HDMI and DVI. Not noticeable anyways.


It's actually the same digital signal.

I'm laughing at plugging it back into the motherboard :lol:  You're not the first person I've seen do that. the integrated graphics in the CPU automatically disables itself if it doesn't detect a monitor and detects a discrete graphics card. Good lesson learned, I hope. enjoy your GTX680 :cry: 
m
0
l
!