• Cyberpower
  • Gaming
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 26, 2012 11:56:37 PM

Hi,

I have never bought from CyberPowerPC before but the customizations seem nice.
After some research here was what I came up with. Is this a good build/spec for a gaming PC for ~$1.3K?

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1E4F24

- Intel i5-2550K
- 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
- AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB

NOTE:
* I do not plan to OC.
* Own a m4 128GB SSD that will serve as OS drive for this system.
* Prefer a case that can hot-swap and with front USB 3.

Thank you for any advice! :) 

( Edit: new link. did not need any softwares. )

More about : gaming cyberpower build

April 26, 2012 11:59:44 PM

Can you make it yourself? You can make a much better system and get all the parts you want.
April 27, 2012 12:03:18 AM

I think I can. Have not built one in forever though. Really depends on how much can be saved by doing so.
Otherwise I would plan to buy within a week.
Related resources
April 27, 2012 12:05:33 AM

Well, for 1300, you could get a 7970, one of the fastest graphics cards on the market. As well as buying parts that you think look good like a case and CPU cooler.
April 27, 2012 12:36:38 AM

Hmmm, so quickly putting it together I am showing these stats.

(WITH 7970 - ~$1.1K) http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7ndo
(WITH 7870 - ~$0.9K) http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7ndU

So roughly ~$300-$400 difference in pricing. It might be something to think about...

Pricing aside though, is there anything with the system build I should be wary of?
April 27, 2012 12:42:37 AM

I would get a different case, like a HAF 922 or 932, or Antec 900/1200. For the power supply, raidmax is horrible. I would get at least a Corsair TX650.
April 27, 2012 3:26:05 PM

I click the link and the PSU is the "standard" powersupply. DEFINATELY steer clear of that. i like Corsair best myself. but Coolermaster and thermaltake are acceptable if price is an issue.

i would also do max case fans for $9.... and think about upgrading the RAM to hyperx or vengeance.
April 27, 2012 3:46:06 PM

There are a few challenging part in building your own computer, but nothing you should be scared of.

- The basic challenge is to find the optimal components for your purpose.

- CPU cooler assembly: Intel-provided cooler seems OK, but if you are concerned of heat and fan noise, you want to get aftermakrket cooler. Tricky part is to apply thermal paste on CPU surface and attach heatsink correctly.

- Cables: There are many cables to connect. Some tiny-head connectors like power, HDD indicator, USB, or audio can be tricky in terms of right polarity and pin compatibility

- BIOS setup after completing the build and powering it up for the first time.

All of the challenges will be more clear when you have the parts in your hands, but I think if you ever tinkered with electrical wire, even minor jobs, you can do it within couple of hours.
!