Your question

How many cores?

Last response: in CPUs
August 9, 2012 3:34:41 PM

How many cores does the i5 and i7 have?

More about : cores

a b à CPUs
August 9, 2012 3:38:44 PM

ivy bridge and sandy bridge i5's and i7 both have 4 cores.....the i7's have hyperthreading so it has 4 logical and 4 physical

sandy bridge e i5's have 4 cores no hyperthreading as well but the i7's can have up to 6 cores with hyperthreading so 6 physical and 6 logical
a c 188 à CPUs
August 9, 2012 3:43:37 PM

If you are talking about mobile cpus you might also see some Intel® Core™ i7 that are dual cores. If you look on the model # if you see a "Q" for the mobile processor it is a quad core.

To look up any of our processors you can check out http://ark.intel.com/ .
Related resources
a c 140 à CPUs
August 9, 2012 3:57:38 PM

drums101 said:
ivy bridge and sandy bridge i5's and i7 both have 4 cores.....the i7's have hyperthreading so it has 4 logical and 4 physical

sandy bridge e i5's have 4 cores no hyperthreading as well but the i7's can have up to 6 cores with hyperthreading so 6 physical and 6 logical

I think he might be talking about the mobile versions. The I5 is a dual core. The I7 can have either 2 or 4 cores depending on the model. If it has a QM next to the name it's a quad core I7 if not it's a dual core I7.
August 9, 2012 4:22:55 PM

i'm talking about destops and which is better AMD Radeon™ HD 7570 1GB GDDR5 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 G5 graphics
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2012 7:25:16 PM

^^ lol ha I guessed right and is the 7570 even a card? I cannot find it anywhere but if you are looking a good low power cheaper card the 7750 is the way to go...alot of reviews are disappointed in the gt 640
a c 82 à CPUs
August 9, 2012 9:25:09 PM

The 7570 is a rebadged 6570. The GT 640 is better than the 7570, but it is overpriced. For the same amount of money you can get the 7750 which is a good deal faster than the 640.
August 9, 2012 10:10:28 PM

if i decide to get my computer upgraded the guy told me i can get a new motherboard with a maximum ram of 32gb amd phenom fx6200 i was thinking of buying this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+XPS+Desktop+-+8GB+Me... but then he told me how he can upgrade my computer better than that and it would be a little cheaper
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2012 10:26:59 PM

la321 said:
if i decide to get my computer upgraded the guy told me i can get a new motherboard with a maximum ram of 32gb amd phenom fx6200 i was thinking of buying this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+XPS+Desktop+-+8GB+Me... but then he told me how he can upgrade my computer better than that and it would be a little cheaper

What is your current setup?

How much does he want for those upgrades?, Also 32GB of RAM is pointless unless you're going to be putting that much space to work, if this is simply going to be a gaming machine i wouldn't let that be much of a high point in an offer. Also motherboards have little affect of actual performance, hence would a motherboard upgrade really be a benfit for you?, do you know what board he wants to swap it to?

a c 446 à CPUs
August 9, 2012 10:27:28 PM

I would advise against going with the FX 6200. Just stick with a Core i5; you don't need to waste money on a Core i7. Also 8GB of RAM will be more than enough unless you are doing something intensive that need more than 8GB of RAM; games do not qualify.

The only thing I would upgrade is the GT 640. If you can get the Radeon HD 7750 for at most $50 more, then I would say it will be a fair deal since they need to do a slight customization.
August 9, 2012 10:42:46 PM

i have a ATI Raedon HD 4300/4500 i can just get that moved over to my new desktop i'm going to be using the computer to just do research checking email and do live streaming which takes up a lot of resources that's why i was thinking of a xps which looks similar to a workstation computer i will have a lot of applications open as well while streaming
a c 446 à CPUs
August 9, 2012 11:01:15 PM

For what you intend on doing, the cheaper Dell PC will be fine.
August 10, 2012 12:41:03 AM

i will be checking email, doing research, watching videos, sometimes might play games and i will be broadcasting which is live streaming and i have some applications that take up a lot of resources so i was recommended to get a workstation but i saw the xps is similar to a workstation i will be having a lot of applications running sometimes
August 10, 2012 11:08:25 PM

When i get the new computer how do i transfer my files from my old desktop to my new one?
August 10, 2012 11:29:29 PM

also why should i avoid the fx6200? it has 6 cores and can handle everything i run becuase i broadcast and be having a lot of applications open at the same time and i read the processor was just released this year
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2012 12:34:44 AM

la321 said:
When i get the new computer how do i transfer my files from my old desktop to my new one?

Depends, you can use a flash drive, removable HDD or CD and throw important photos, videos or whatever on them and then just pop it into the new system and copy them over. When it comes to games, just reinstall.

la321 said:
also why should i avoid the fx6200? it has 6 cores and can handle everything i run becuase i broadcast and be having a lot of applications open at the same time and i read the processor was just released this year

The FX series of chips lack in overall performance, even the older Phenom II series can hang with and in some instances beat out the FX chips. Granted with the Phenom II X6 chips pretty much phased out at this point, it might be your 6 core only option on the AMD side of things. If you want 6 cores and can only go with AMD, then FX 6200 might be your best bet for now till piledriver.

Though Intel is killing AMD on the multitasking side of things, even with less cores, you're getting more powerful cores. I would currently always recommend going Intel for tasks that need a lot of CPU resources, but if that's not in the books then i say, yes, settle with an AMD chip with as many cores as you can get your hands on.
August 11, 2012 12:49:12 AM

I have CD-R disks would those work?
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2012 1:55:18 AM

la321 said:
I have CD-R disks would those work?

Yes CD-R's should work fine.
August 12, 2012 3:12:24 AM

Do you think a motherboard is possible for my desktop to upgrade to a intel i5 quad core?
August 13, 2012 5:39:22 PM

What's a good amd phenom processor?
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2012 8:48:00 PM

la321 said:
What's a good amd phenom processor?

If you can find a Phenom II X6 1090T for a decent price, i'd go with that. Though something like a X4 965 or 955 would suffice as well if you can grab one on the cheap.

Intels lower end chips like the Core i3's are very nice chips as well, just a bit more expensive.
August 13, 2012 10:34:33 PM

Isn't the amd fx6200 a good processor? from what i read on amd the fx are higher than phenom and some fx processors are good as well that's why my repair picked amd because they are cheaper and said they are great processors as well
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2012 10:40:24 PM

la321 said:
Isn't the amd fx6200 a good processor? from what i read on amd the fx are higher than phenom and some fx processors are good as well that's why my repair picked amd because they are cheaper and said they are great processors as well

In most benchmarks they fall under or about on par with the older Phenom II chips while also producing more heat, the only time they have an advantage is generally in multi-threaded instances.
a c 96 à CPUs
August 14, 2012 8:00:00 PM

My two cents:

1. There are quite a few different versions of Intel i5 and i7 CPUs. Desktop i5s have two or four cores depending on the generation. Desktop i7s generally have four cores but a few have six cores.

2. The FX series CPUs are newer than the Phenoms IIs. Which one performs better largely depends on what you are doing and what OS you are running. In general on Windows playing games the FX 8100 series performs about like the older Phenom II X6, the FX 6100 series perform like Phenom II X4s, and the FX 4100s are somewhat faster than the Phenom II X3s, mostly because the X3s weren't clocked all that high. In general things that are heavily multithreaded like file compression and video encoding are where the FXes really shine.

3. There are no FX 6200s yet, they have not been released yet. Guesstimates are that they will be about 10% faster clock for clock, core for core over the FX 6100s but we don't know for sure yet.

4. The biggest advantage of the FXes for a Windows user in my opinion is that they have better clock speed management. They idle much cooler than Phenom IIs because the FXes can simply shut off unused parts; the Phenom IIs couldn't do that. The FXes seem to wake up more quickly from sleep than the Phenom IIs were able to ramp up from slow idle speed so they seem a bit snappier. The FXes also have a Turbo setup that works very well so you can get good performance in poorly-threaded applications from a 65-95 watt CPU rather than "all cores must run essentially at the same speed" Phenom IIs. This is less of an issue with 125 watt CPUs as there isn't much difference between top single-core speed and top all-cores speed.

5. If you are a programmer or have any desire to run non-Windows OSes, the FXes run much better relative to the Phenom IIs and Intel CPUs than on Windows with typical Windows programs. The FX is quite a bit different from previous chips and any code new enough to be compiled with a compiler new enough to recognize the FX will make a BIG difference over older code with generic optimizations. An FX-8150 is often noticeably faster than a Phenom II X6 1100T in those situations.

a c 96 à CPUs
August 14, 2012 10:03:51 PM

la321 said:
this is the amd fx 6200 here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My mistake, I forgot that there was an FX-6200 Orochi-based Zambezi. I mainly follow enterprise parts and forgot that not all of the first-generation Bulldozer Orochi/Zambezi FXes are FX-*100 models. I was referring to the Piledriver-based parts having not shipped yet for desktop. Dang work getting in the way of my fun... :fou: 
!