Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New build under $2000

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 27, 2012 12:59:20 AM

Approximate Purchase Date:( e.g.: this week (the closer the better))

Budget Range: right around $2000, can go a little over

System Usage from Most to Least Important: strict gaming

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country: United States

Parts Preferences: Intel Cpu, intel motherboard, two gtx 680s sli

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution:1920x1080

More about : build 2000

April 27, 2012 1:14:22 AM

First off welcome to Tom's Hardware. I have a question before I start helping you decide on parts. How much do you care about looks?
m
0
l
April 27, 2012 1:18:54 AM

jrwizbang said:
First off welcome to Tom's Hardware. I have a question before I start helping you decide on parts. How much do you care about looks?

I learned from my alienware laptop that looks are always but may not be worth the money... I wouldn't mind a nice looking tower though just as long as im not spending $100 extra on just looks....
m
0
l
Related resources
April 27, 2012 1:27:03 AM

Alright I just wanted to know so that when selecting parts there's a bit more structure and it will be easier.

I actually have another question that I forgot to ask though. What don't you need? ie: monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.
m
0
l
April 27, 2012 1:29:18 AM

jrwizbang said:
Alright I just wanted to know so that when selecting parts there's a bit more structure and it will be easier.

I actually have another question that I forgot to ask though. What don't you need? ie: monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.

I need everything besides a keyboard and a mouse
m
0
l
April 27, 2012 12:14:02 PM

Ill mostly likely be getting the ivy bridge 3770k for my processing unit, but I dont know what to get with that for a strict gaming build
m
0
l
April 27, 2012 11:35:02 PM

Im also most likely be getting dual 680's so... if it is still possible to keep this under 2 grand I would be surprised but im willing to go a little over... any help would be greatly appreciated
m
0
l
April 28, 2012 12:24:18 AM

sorry I just edited the post, forgot to use the template.
m
0
l

Best solution

April 28, 2012 12:51:07 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carbide-Series-Gaming-CC-... $116.16 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Corsair Carbide Series 500R Mid Tower Gaming Case CC-9011012-WW

http://www.amazon.com/XFX-ATX-850-Power-Supply/dp/B0050... $122.75 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
XFX PRO850W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80 Plus Silver Certified 850 Watt Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $134.99
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z77%20Extre... <----- A better look at that Asrock board

http://www.guru3d.com/news/intel-ivy-bridge-gets-prelau... $212
Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3570K 3.4Ghz

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-2... $34.95 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $44.99 FREE SHIPPING
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAB

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-AD-7280S-0B-Internal-Drive-B... $17.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive (Black)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $249.99 FREE SHIPPING
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe MKNSSDCR240GB-DX 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $499.99
EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Buil... $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack

Total: $1,533.80 *not including shipping, rebates, and monitor


http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-S23A700D-Class-Backlit-Mo... $299.99
SAMSUNG S23A700D Black 23" 2ms HDMI Widescreen 120Hz 3D Capable LED-Backlit LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 1000:1

http://www.amazon.com/ML228H-22-Inch-Ultra-Slim-Widescr... $149.00 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Asus ML228H 21.5" 1920X1080 2ms Full HD LED BackLight LED Monitor Slim Design 250 cd/m2 10,000,000 :1 (ASCR)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $539.99
MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Share
April 28, 2012 1:03:22 AM

Why_Me said:
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carbide-Series-Gaming-CC-... $116.16 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Corsair Carbide Series 500R Mid Tower Gaming Case CC-9011012-WW

http://www.amazon.com/XFX-ATX-850-Power-Supply/dp/B0050... $122.75 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
XFX PRO850W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80 Plus Silver Certified 850 Watt Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $134.99
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z77%20Extre... <----- A better look at that Asrock board

http://www.guru3d.com/news/intel-ivy-bridge-gets-prelau... $212
Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3570K 3.4Ghz

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-2... $34.95 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $44.99 FREE SHIPPING
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAB

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-AD-7280S-0B-Internal-Drive-B... $17.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive (Black)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $249.99 FREE SHIPPING
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe MKNSSDCR240GB-DX 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $499.99
EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Buil... $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack

Total: $1,533.80 *not including shipping, rebates, and monitor


http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-S23A700D-Class-Backlit-Mo... $299.99
SAMSUNG S23A700D Black 23" 2ms HDMI Widescreen 120Hz 3D Capable LED-Backlit LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 1000:1

http://www.amazon.com/ML228H-22-Inch-Ultra-Slim-Widescr... $149.00 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Asus ML228H 21.5" 1920X1080 2ms Full HD LED BackLight LED Monitor Slim Design 250 cd/m2 10,000,000 :1 (ASCR)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $539.99
MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

thanks, I guess, the bottom 680 is just an alternative to the evga? Also, would it be better to go with a liquid cooled system?
m
0
l
April 28, 2012 1:21:21 AM

Houseboratheon said:
thanks, I guess, the bottom 680 is just an alternative to the evga? Also, would it be better to go with a liquid cooled system?

That MSI card is an alternative. It over clocks higher than the EVGA but you can't go wrong with either card imo.

As far as water cooling goes...only if you plan on doing some hard core over clocking. If that's the case then look at the Asrock Z77 extreme6.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <----- that board
m
0
l
April 28, 2012 1:26:19 AM

One other thing to consider. Pick up one gtx 680 and when you feel the need in another year or two pick up another one.

You can drop that 240GB SSD I put in that build and go with a 480GB SSD if you think you will need the extra hard drive space. I mean it's a gaming build and no need for a storage drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $499.99
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR480GB-DX 2.5" 480GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
m
0
l
April 28, 2012 1:34:18 AM

Why_Me said:
One other thing to consider. Pick up one gtx 680 and when you feel the need in another year or two pick up another one.

You can drop that 240GB SSD I put in that build and go with a 480GB SSD if you think you will need the extra hard drive space. I mean it's a gaming build and no need for a storage drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $499.99
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR480GB-DX 2.5" 480GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

thanks, I really don't plan on doing any over cloaking anytime soon I was just seeing if I need a liquid cooling unit for 2 GTX 680's. Also, the reason im getting two is because Im waiting already for them to restock so I don't have to deal with any of that later.
m
0
l
April 28, 2012 1:34:31 AM

Best answer selected by HouseBoratheon.
m
0
l
!