Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Home-built computer: Working fine one moment, then dead the next

Last response: in Systems
April 27, 2012 1:04:58 AM

I built a computer, and it was working really well until yesterday, when I was able to log in, but when I clicked on the Google Chrome, a split second later, it shut off. When I tried to turn it on, the case L.E.D.s just flashed and the fans spun once. Then the computer was silent. I tried again, but there was no feedback from the system the second time. There is no beep code or boot screen.
I am wondering if it is one of these things:
-The CPU is dead... Worst Case Scenario
-The PSU is dead
-The motherboard shorted
Also, if you have any ideas of any other things that it could be, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
CPU: AMD FX8150
GPU: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Hard Drive: Corsair Caviar Blue 500GB
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 RX 650w
Case: Apevia xDreamer 3
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3

Best solution

April 27, 2012 1:11:08 AM

jandojo said:
I built a computer, and it was working really well until yesterday, when I was able to log in, but when I clicked on the Google Chrome, a split second later, it shut off. When I tried to turn it on, the case L.E.D.s just flashed and the fans spun once. Then the computer was silent. I tried again, but there was no feedback from the system the second time. There is no beep code or boot screen.
I am wondering if it is one of these things:
-The CPU is dead... Worst Case Scenario
-The PSU is dead
-The motherboard shorted
Also, if you have any ideas of any other things that it could be, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
CPU: AMD FX8150
GPU: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Hard Drive: Corsair Caviar Blue 500GB
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 RX 650w
Case: Apevia xDreamer 3
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3

Probably power supply. How old is it?
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 1:11:56 AM

I would suspect the power supply. Thermaltake isnt known for reliability
m
l
Related resources
April 27, 2012 1:12:50 AM

I just built it and have had it for about a month and a half.
m
l
April 27, 2012 1:16:59 AM

I really hope it is the power supply, because that would be by far the easiest thing to replace both in terms of money and time. As of right now, I will probably have to wait till tomorrow to get my hands on a new power supply. I'll let you guys know then if it is the power supply.
At least I didn't smell anything burning, which is always a plus I think.
m
l
April 27, 2012 1:44:01 AM

Start with the power supply. Next step is Mobo. You probably should do a visual inspection of the motherboard, too. Check for swollen or burst or leaking capacitors. See if there are any burn marks.
m
l
April 28, 2012 10:53:31 PM

egilbe said:
Probably power supply. How old is it?

Thanks! It's fixed now, it was the power supply. The guy at Milwaukee PC was going to take it in and run the diagnostics for 40 dollars. It was either I tried a better power supply, and possibly be out 15 dollars if that wasn't it. I took the gamble of fixing it by myself, and our suspicions were correct. It was indeed a classic Thermaltake. Thanks again! I am really happy that my system is up and running again.
m
l
April 28, 2012 10:53:54 PM

Best answer selected by jandojo.
m
l
!