Closed Solved

Choosing a Video Card

Hi, I realized I don't know much about video cards. I do know I want a good gaming card and 3-monitor display.

Here are my specs:

Asus P5Q Pro ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2 2PCI-E16 2PCI SATA2
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 LGA775 3.0GHZ 133FSB 6MB
4GB DDR2
750 Watt Psu
GeForce 9500 GT

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: As soon as I know what to buy

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming - Total War, Civ IV, TF2

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 LGA775 3.0GHZ 133FSB 6MB, Corsair TX750W

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Preferably from Canada. NXIC, tiger direct, new egg.ca, ebay, craigslist

PARTS PREFERENCES: Whatever works man

OVERCLOCKING: I'd like to be able to have overclocking capabilities. Future proof ect.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: It's all about bang for buck. Whatever works

MONITOR RESOLUTION:currently 1680 × 1050. I think this is my max. I am running a syncmaster 2253lw. I just ordered a Acer V243H Ajbd 24IN Widescreen LCD 1920X1080 2MS 80000:1. I also have a 46" Samsung LN52A650 LCD TV. I would like to connect all three of these monitors together to my video card.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: The best bang for my buck, preferably something that is tried and true. Also, I would really like to impress my friends with my bad ass display.

Budget - I would pay up to $600. It all really depends on what is the best card for my needs. If I only need to spend $250 then I will go with that. I'd like to know my options.

Thank you,
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about choosing video card
  1. well your cpu is going to limit you if you pay more than $200 so forget about spending that $600.

I'd suggest the 6850 or 6870, it supports 3 displays and offers the best performance for your money right now.

I'd suggest OCing that c2d as much as you can as well.
  2. Thank you for the very helpful information esrever
  3. esrever said:
    I'd suggest OCing that c2d as much as you can as well.

Much better to replace it with a Core 2 Quad.
  4. What is the best version of 6850 or 6870?
    If I were to order off http://ncix.com/search/?categoryid=0&q=6870
  5. Yes, I now realize that my CPU needs to upgraded, any recommendations on a specific CPU?
  6. Best answer
    High end C2Qs are a bit too expensive these days.

And yeah, you're CPU is a limiting factor. The highest you can go with that, would be a HD 6850 or a GTX 460, and too, with slight bottleneck.
    You'll need to either overclock your current CPU, or change the motherboard and buy a new CPU. That'll cost more, but it will be more, future proof...

Since you're willing to spend $600, I'd suggest you get a better CPU and motherboard. But, if that is the case, ten you'll need to change your RAM too.

Bottom line:
    Cheaper way - overclock your CPU, buy a Radeon HD 6870 or HD 6850
    or
    Future proof - Buy better motherboard, CPU and RAM.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-overclock-performance-gaming,3097.html

For almost $600, you can buy yourself a good rig too.
  7. I want to build a new machine anyway. So I want to keep this system as a LAN machine for friends. So what I think I will do is overclock the processor and purchase the recommended video card.
  8. Check the Asus website to see what your motherboard supports and start looking. Newegg.ca only shows one c2q available, the Q9505 at C$250. Not exactly cheap. I'd look for one elsewhere that's a bit less pricey. StarMicro is a good place to get older CPUs that have fallen off of the mainstream shopping sites. They have the QX6700 for US$170 but it looks like they don't ship outside the USA.
  9. @OP
    Good choice. :)
  10. Thanks guys :)
  11. Best answer selected by LogDog86.
  12. Thank you. :)
  13. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics