Status
Not open for further replies.

logdog86

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Hi, I realized I don't know much about video cards. I do know I want a good gaming card and 3-monitor display.

Here are my specs:

Asus P5Q Pro ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2 2PCI-E16 2PCI SATA2
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 LGA775 3.0GHZ 133FSB 6MB
4GB DDR2
750 Watt Psu
GeForce 9500 GT

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: As soon as I know what to buy

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming - Total War, Civ IV, TF2

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 LGA775 3.0GHZ 133FSB 6MB, Corsair TX750W

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Preferably from Canada. NXIC, tiger direct, new egg.ca, ebay, craigslist

PARTS PREFERENCES: Whatever works man

OVERCLOCKING: I'd like to be able to have overclocking capabilities. Future proof ect.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: It's all about bang for buck. Whatever works

MONITOR RESOLUTION:currently 1680 × 1050. I think this is my max. I am running a syncmaster 2253lw. I just ordered a Acer V243H Ajbd 24IN Widescreen LCD 1920X1080 2MS 80000:1. I also have a 46" Samsung LN52A650 LCD TV. I would like to connect all three of these monitors together to my video card.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: The best bang for my buck, preferably something that is tried and true. Also, I would really like to impress my friends with my bad ass display.

Budget - I would pay up to $600. It all really depends on what is the best card for my needs. If I only need to spend $250 then I will go with that. I'd like to know my options.

Thank you,

Solution
High end C2Qs are a bit too expensive these days.

And yeah, you're CPU is a limiting factor. The highest you can go with that, would be a HD 6850 or a GTX 460, and too, with slight bottleneck.
You'll need to either overclock your current CPU, or change the motherboard and buy a new CPU. That'll cost more, but it will be more, future proof...

Since you're willing to spend $600, I'd suggest you get a better CPU and motherboard. But, if that is the case, ten you'll need to change your RAM too.

Bottom line:
Cheaper way - overclock your CPU, buy a Radeon HD 6870 or HD 6850
or
Future proof - Buy better motherboard, CPU and RAM.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-overclock-performance-gaming,3097.html

For almost $600, you...
well your cpu is going to limit you if you pay more than $200 so forget about spending that $600.

I'd suggest the 6850 or 6870, it supports 3 displays and offers the best performance for your money right now.

I'd suggest OCing that c2d as much as you can as well.

High end C2Qs are a bit too expensive these days.

And yeah, you're CPU is a limiting factor. The highest you can go with that, would be a HD 6850 or a GTX 460, and too, with slight bottleneck.
You'll need to either overclock your current CPU, or change the motherboard and buy a new CPU. That'll cost more, but it will be more, future proof...

Since you're willing to spend $600, I'd suggest you get a better CPU and motherboard. But, if that is the case, ten you'll need to change your RAM too.

Bottom line:
Cheaper way - overclock your CPU, buy a Radeon HD 6870 or HD 6850
or
Future proof - Buy better motherboard, CPU and RAM.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-overclock-performance-gaming,3097.html

For almost $600, you can buy yourself a good rig too.

Solution

logdog86

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
I want to build a new machine anyway. So I want to keep this system as a LAN machine for friends. So what I think I will do is overclock the processor and purchase the recommended video card.

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Check the Asus website to see what your motherboard supports and start looking. Newegg.ca only shows one c2q available, the Q9505 at C$250. Not exactly cheap. I'd look for one elsewhere that's a bit less pricey. StarMicro is a good place to get older CPUs that have fallen off of the mainstream shopping sites. They have the QX6700 for US$170 but it looks like they don't ship outside the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.