Folders inside of "My Documents" “My Pictures” will not open

Status
Not open for further replies.

barryaclarke

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I think I might have picked up a virus. Anyway, after avoiding a crash , when going into my documents and then opening my pictures, there are no folders. But, when check "my pictures" properties, it list that I have 5,032 files using 6.32 gb. I tried to restore to different dates without any luck. I have also look at making sure it is not hidden. Any suggestions? H E L P

guavasauce

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
yes, first try starting in safe mode and look for your pictures. also, attempt to run your av in safe mode. next, you can try a windows search for photos, might help.

you said you avoided a crash, what happend there?

further, ive had luck with slaving drives off my main pc to pull info off them, if all else fails.

barryaclarke

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

Question regarding "CMD" When I type CMD in search, I get a box that pops up CMD. When I click on it it get "c:\users\Barry>with a blinking _ I am not able to type in the command to reset attributes. What do I do now? Thanks for your help.......Barry

barryaclarke

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Figured it out. I was not adding a space after -h, s, & d. Soooo, if anyone else needs this code it is: attrib (space) -h (space) slant s (space) slant d and the enter. Computer took off like a bat out of h--l and about 100 icons popped up on the desk to with missing folders.......thanks for the help

barryaclarke

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I found the infection with Malwarebytes. Both Ad-Aware and Spybot missed it. One other thing too. With this entry in CMD, a lot of the hidden folders then appeared on the desk top. You are unable to move those folders. So, I recreated a new folder and then the files could be moved to that new folder. Then you send the old folder to the recycle bin......thanks again as this one really had me going in circles......Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.