Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Give me good video cards for $100 or less

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 19, 2012 5:34:53 AM

I am looking for good video cards for $100 or less. I will go a little over 100, lets say $110-$115. I have a Radeon 4670 atm and I think it's dying out... Not to mention there is a lot of dust on it. :( 

Anyways this is my system specs (I'm not a gamer.. Let's say... light gamer)

OS: Win 7 home prem
CPU: AMD Athlon II x3 435 2.9 GHz
RAM: 4 GB ddr2
HDD: forgot the brand but 150 gb sata 3.0
PSU: 430W Corsair

Give me your recommendations on video cards!!

Thanks to ivan1984, jnjnilson6, Gman450, and tlmck.

a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 5:53:09 AM

The max upgrade for your PSU and budget would be a 6850. It will be much faster than what you have now, and if you look around, you will find one for a little over $100 usually with a rebate. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Personally I would stretch the budget and get the Sapphire as they are the best on the AMD side. You can shop around to get a better price. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Just for reference, here is Tom's recent hierarchy chart. Basically to see significant improvement, you want to go up at least three levels beyond your current card. In this case, the 6850 is even above that. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

And keep the dust cleaned out. Your PC has to be maintained just like anything else to run it's best. Cans of compressed air are not that expensive. Just make sure the machine is unplugged for about 10 minutes or so before cleaning.
Score
0
Related resources

Best solution

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 5:55:55 AM

art209 said:
I am looking for good video cards for $100 or less. I will go a little over 100, lets say $110-$115. I have a Radeon 4670 atm and I think it's dying out... Not to mention there is a lot of dust on it. :( 

Anyways this is my system specs (I'm not a gamer.. Let's say... light gamer)

OS: Win 7 home prem
CPU: AMD Athlon II x3 435 2.9 GHz
RAM: 4 GB ddr2
HDD: forgot the brand but 150 gb sata 3.0
PSU: 430W Corsair

Give me your recommendations on video cards!!

Ooh and it must be a pci express 2.0 x 16 card!


At your price the 6770 is the best http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you can save a bit extra and get the 6850 that would be even better
Share
February 19, 2012 6:00:28 AM

tlmck said:
The max upgrade for your PSU and budget would be a 6850. It will be much faster than what you have now, and if you look around, you will find one for a little over $100 usually with a rebate. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Personally I would stretch the budget and get the Sapphire as they are the best on the AMD side. You can shop around to get a better price. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Just for reference, here is Tom's recent hierarchy chart. Basically to see significant improvement, you want to go up at least three levels beyond your current card. In this case, the 6850 is even above that.http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

And keep the dust cleaned out. Your PC has to be maintained just like anything else to run it's best. Cans of compressed air are not that expensive. Just make sure the machine is unplugged for about 10 minutes or so before cleaning.


All of the 6850's are pci express 2.1x16. My motherboard or bios w/e won't be able to uhh detect it. :( 


@others

I'm looking at the 6770's that you guys mention and it seems good, unless there's better ones.

Ok i lied, those contain pci express 2.1x16 too. :( 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 6:03:08 AM

art209 said:
All of the 6850's are pci express 2.1x16. My motherboard or bios w/e won't be able to uhh detect it. :( 


@others

I'm looking at the 6770's that you guys mention and it seems good, unless there's better ones.

PCI-e 2.1 is backward compatible with PCI-e 2.0

There wouldn't be any issues with it.
The HD 6770 is a good choice, but you'll notice better performance with a 6850.

BTW, at what resolution are you gaming at?
Score
0
February 19, 2012 6:03:33 AM

Hi Art,

The obvious suggestions are those in the Best Graphics Cards for the Money articles, here's a link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

From this, and your specs, these would be good options:

AMD HD 6770 $110 before rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

AMD HD 6670 $93 before rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You could go cheaper than that, but you'll really start sacrificing even basic gaming ability. Hopefully this helps!
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 6:06:20 AM

Yes the 2.1 cards will work fine in even a 1.0 spec board. You will not find any 2.1 spec motherboards as it does make any difference. Most card makers simply tout it as a marketing angle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express
Score
0
February 19, 2012 6:06:33 AM

Gman450 said:
PCI-e 2.1 is backward compatible with PCI-e 2.0

There wouldn't be any issues with it.
The HD 6770 is a good choice, but you'll notice better performance with a 6850.

BTW, at what resolution are you gaming at?


I heard that your bios has to be able to detect pci-e 2.1 in order for it to function properly. And I game at 1280 x 960.

tlmck said:
Yes the 2.1 cards will work fine in even a 1.0 spec board. You will not find any 2.1 spec motherboards as it does make any difference. Most card makers simply tout it as a marketing angle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express


Uh okay. :o  I'll take your word on it.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 6:13:31 AM

art209 said:
I heard that your bios has to be able to detect pci-e 2.1 in order for it to function properly. And I game at 1280 x 960.


The BIOS will detect the card.

I run a GTS 450, that needs a PCIe 2.0
My motherboard's PCI-e is 1.1
I don't have any issues at all.

Since you don't game at high resolutions, you can either go for a HD 6770 or a HD 6790. The HD 6850, would be a little overkill at that resolution, unless you plan on buying a full HD monitor.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 6:14:01 AM

art209 said:
I heard that your bios has to be able to detect pci-e 2.1 in order for it to function properly. And I game at 1280 x 960.


Wherever you heard that from, they are wrong.

At your resolution the 6770 or 6850 will be more than enough to game at high levels. The 6850 can play lots of game on high at up to 1920 x 1080.
Score
0
February 19, 2012 6:19:03 AM

Quote:
hunter315 wrote :

Yes, PCI-E is fully backwards and forwards compatible between versions, you can use any PCI-E card in any PCI-E 16x slot, it doesnt matter if the card or slot is 1.x or 2.x.


Quote:
RazberyBandit wote :Wrong. While PCIe 2.1 is fully compatible with older 1.x and 2.0 versions, motherboards do require BIOS updates to support PCIe 2.1 cards. We've run into this problem on these forums many times over the last few months with people who purchased ATI 5000-series cards (all of which are PCIe 2.1) for older systems, many of which were pre-built Brand-Name systems from Acer, Dell, etc., and most of which contained motherboards that had lost support several years ago, prior to PCIe 2.1 being accepted as the next standard.

While his specific motherboard does not fall into that category, such a blank statement is false. The correct answer is: Not always. PCIe 1.0, 1.0a, and 2.0 motherboards may require a BIOS update for PCIe 2.1 card compatibility.


He looks like he knows what he saying. BUT, yea I will be looking at reviews and such for the 6770 and 6850. :D 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 6:22:11 AM

What is your motherboard, BTW?
Score
0
February 19, 2012 6:25:41 AM

My mobo is an MSI 785GTM-E45 (MS-7549). Discontinued i think.. :( 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 6:28:01 AM

I think they confused brand name computers and their customized BIOS's with spec revision issues. They may also be referring to the card running, just not at the 2.1 spec.

I have plugged 2.1 cards into 1.0 spec motherboards that have never been updated.

In either case, if it worries you, you can always update your BIOS before putting in the card if you wish.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 6:31:57 AM

^+1
Just update the BIOS if it doesn't work.
My cousin runs a HD 6850 ( PCIe 2.1) on a DG41RQ( PCIe 1.1) motherboard just as mine. He didn't have to update the BIOS first.
Score
0
February 19, 2012 6:35:59 AM

OKKK. I decided I will get the sapphire 6770 since it'll be more than okay for the games I play, which are MMOS and other stuff. I don't really want to spend extra money atm so yea. Sapphire 6770 HD it is..
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 6:37:01 AM

Good choice.

And best of luck. :) 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 7:02:07 AM

That will work.
Score
0
February 19, 2012 4:35:41 PM

art209 said:
I am looking for good video cards for $100 or less. I will go a little over 100, lets say $110-$115. I have a Radeon 4670 atm and I think it's dying out... Not to mention there is a lot of dust on it. :( 

Anyways this is my system specs (I'm not a gamer.. Let's say... light gamer)

OS: Win 7 home prem
CPU: AMD Athlon II x3 435 2.9 GHz
RAM: 4 GB ddr2
HDD: forgot the brand but 150 gb sata 3.0
PSU: 430W Corsair

Give me your recommendations on video cards!!

Ooh and it must be a pci express 2.0 x 16 card!


1. AMD RADEON HD 6850 - $139.99
2. AMD Radeon HD 6790 - $124.99
3. AMD Radeon HD 4890 - $109.99

All of these video cards can fully max out every single game which is on the market! I recommend the AMD RADEON HD 6850 because it's ultra powerful and will make your computer fly! The AMD RADEON HD 6790 is less powerful, but still can handle the latest games on maximum resolution and settings! AMD RADEON HD 4890 is the best card from the 4XXX generation! It's pretty old, but this doesn't matter because it can also handle every game out there without no problem on maximum settings and resolution! All of these three cards can handle every single game that has ever been out for sale on the market on maximum settings and resolutions even bigger then 1920x1080! It's your choice, but if you want to have something which will last for some time in the future as a high end video adapter I recommend the AMD RADEON HD 6850 which is the best video card from my list and one of the best video cards at all!
Score
0
February 19, 2012 9:20:43 PM

1 last question. Are u guys SURE that my cpu, amd athlon II x3 435 won't bottleneck the 6770 HD I will be purchasing??
Score
0
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 9:28:23 PM

art209 said:
1 last question. Are u guys SURE that my cpu, amd athlon II x3 435 won't bottleneck the 6770 HD I will be purchasing??


You'll be fine.
Score
0
February 19, 2012 9:31:34 PM

Quote:
You'll be fine.


K thanks :D 
Score
0
February 19, 2012 9:32:08 PM

Best answer selected by art209.
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 11:13:53 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!