Sign in with
Your question

New PSU, power LED lights up but comp won't turn on

Last response: in Components
August 9, 2012 4:34:51 PM

Hey everyone, I just received a new corsair 700W PSU. After plugging in the cords to their respective outlets and powering on the supply and computer, the only thing that shows power is the LED behind the power button on the front of the case. The power supply LED and fans do not come on and neither do motherboard/case fans. I plugged a USB mouse into a USB slot on the case and the mouse received no power. At this point I have no idea what's wrong. The power supply has a bunch of extra SATA and PCI cords, does it matter which ones I plug in? That's about all I can think of at this point. Thanks in advance for your help guys.
August 9, 2012 4:37:24 PM

Is your Motherboard cable plugged in? Your Cpu cable plugged in? the motherboard is the 24 pin and the cpu is the 8 pin. Is your video card plugged in? Try the computer in different outlets and make sure the switch on the psu is on.
m
l
a c 134 ) Power supply
August 9, 2012 4:45:51 PM

8 pin EPS cable plugged in ?
CPU fan plugged into MoBo header ?
m
l
Related resources
August 9, 2012 4:46:17 PM

I am assuming you're replacing a PSU that fried. If so, it most likely took out your MOBO too. I have had two cases where that has happened.
m
l
August 9, 2012 5:01:47 PM

I hope you're wrong price, but that could very well be it. To the other two, yes, the 4+4 EPS pin is plugged in (it's actually a 4 pin female on the MOBO) along with the 24 pin mobo pin. The video card is plugged in as well, and the outlet is working fine. Any more ideas? Thanks for the input
m
l
August 9, 2012 5:04:22 PM

IMPORTANT: I've just tested my old 250W PSU on my machine and the machine actually responds like it should, fans and everything, it just can't handle my video card. Does this eliminate the possibility of a bad MOBO? What does this say about my new PSU?
m
l
August 9, 2012 5:58:35 PM

The power supply might be a dud. I will contact the place where you bought the item and ask for an extange becuase there is problems with the power supply you have just bought. You could also buy a power supply tester to see where lies the problem
m
l
August 9, 2012 7:59:24 PM

I got it from newegg, are they pretty cool about refunds if I end up needing one? I didn't exactly look into the agreement when I bought this. How could the power supply just be a dud anyway? Any other thoughts as to what my problem might be? Thanks for the reply.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 9, 2012 8:22:59 PM

drummerdawg said:
How could the power supply just be a dud anyway?

This is one of those things that simply happens.

The PSU somehow passed quality check and something between then and you installing it caused it to have some sort of failure. Could be something like a weak solder joint failing during shipping, pressure/thermal cycling during air freight causing something to crack, a non-glued adjustment potentiometer moving due to vibrations causing outputs to go too far off-spec or any of dozens of other plausible things.
m
l
!