Works Error Messages

I have postes this in the Windows Works NewsGroup, but I am wondering whether
it may be an XP problem.

What does anyone think?

I have many Works spreadsheets (".xlr" extension)
Properties shows
File Type: Microsoft Works Spreadsheet or Chart
Opens With: Microsoft Works© Spreadsheet

Lately, when I try to open any of them, I get 2 Microsoft Works error boxes
with ! in a yellow triangle and an OK button

The first has no other text
The second has the text "Works cannot complete the task. Try restarting
Windows, or reinstalling Works."

If I click the OK on each, the spreadsheet opens and all seems to be OK, but
when I close the spreadsheet, the same error messages occur.

What can I do to get rid of these annoying messages?
--
Trevor L.

Expand AllCollapse All
--
Trevor L.
3 answers Last reply

    Have you tried to reinstall Works? It may fix the problem.

    "Trevor L." wrote:

    > I have postes this in the Windows Works NewsGroup, but I am wondering whether
    > it may be an XP problem.
    >
    > What does anyone think?
    >

    > I have many Works spreadsheets (".xlr" extension)
    > Properties shows
    > File Type: Microsoft Works Spreadsheet or Chart
    > Opens With: Microsoft Works© Spreadsheet
    >
    > Lately, when I try to open any of them, I get 2 Microsoft Works error boxes
    > with ! in a yellow triangle and an OK button
    >
    > The first has no other text
    > The second has the text "Works cannot complete the task. Try restarting
    > Windows, or reinstalling Works."
    >
    > If I click the OK on each, the spreadsheet opens and all seems to be OK, but
    > when I close the spreadsheet, the same error messages occur.
    >
    > What can I do to get rid of these annoying messages?
    > --
    > Trevor L.
    >

    > Expand AllCollapse All
    > --
    > Trevor L.

    Thank you, "*FLarsen*".

    Yes, I have reinstalled Works, and the problem continued. Since then I have
    uninstalled the "Works Add-On for Microsoft Word" (I think that is what is it
    named), but I haven't reinstalled Works since. I may give it another try.

    It is certainly annoying. In fact, my wife, who shares the computer, assumed
    that documents were not being saved - which is a quite reasonable assumption.

    Cheers
    "*FLarsen*" wrote:

    > Have you tried to reinstall Works? It may fix the problem.
    >
    > "Trevor L." wrote:
    >
    > > I have postes this in the Windows Works NewsGroup, but I am wondering whether
    > > it may be an XP problem.
    > >
    > > What does anyone think?
    > >

    > > I have many Works spreadsheets (".xlr" extension)
    > > Properties shows
    > > File Type: Microsoft Works Spreadsheet or Chart
    > > Opens With: Microsoft Works© Spreadsheet
    > >
    > > Lately, when I try to open any of them, I get 2 Microsoft Works error boxes
    > > with ! in a yellow triangle and an OK button
    > >
    > > The first has no other text
    > > The second has the text "Works cannot complete the task. Try restarting
    > > Windows, or reinstalling Works."
    > >
    > > If I click the OK on each, the spreadsheet opens and all seems to be OK, but
    > > when I close the spreadsheet, the same error messages occur.
    > >
    > > What can I do to get rid of these annoying messages?
    > > --
    > > Trevor L.
    > >

    > > Expand AllCollapse All
    > > --
    > > Trevor L.

    I tried re-installing Works.

    Before I did , I deleted the entire Works Suite using Control
    Panel|Add/Remove Programs, so that it was clean install (or so I hoped). But
    I am still getting the same error messages.

    I am almost resigned to putting up with it - either that or converting all
    my Works spreadsheets to Excel (which I have installed, and which is
    probably a better spreadsheet, anyway)

Configuration Microsoft Customization Spreadsheet Windows XP