I have postes this in the Windows Works NewsGroup, but I am wondering whether
it may be an XP problem.

What does anyone think?

I have many Works spreadsheets (".xlr" extension)
Properties shows
File Type: Microsoft Works Spreadsheet or Chart
Opens With: Microsoft Works© Spreadsheet

Lately, when I try to open any of them, I get 2 Microsoft Works error boxes
with ! in a yellow triangle and an OK button

The first has no other text
The second has the text "Works cannot complete the task. Try restarting
Windows, or reinstalling Works."

If I click the OK on each, the spreadsheet opens and all seems to be OK, but
when I close the spreadsheet, the same error messages occur.

What can I do to get rid of these annoying messages?
--
Trevor L.

Expand AllCollapse All
--
Trevor L.

Have you tried to reinstall Works? It may fix the problem.

"Trevor L." wrote:

> I have postes this in the Windows Works NewsGroup, but I am wondering whether
> it may be an XP problem.
>
> What does anyone think?
>

> I have many Works spreadsheets (".xlr" extension)
> Properties shows
> File Type: Microsoft Works Spreadsheet or Chart
> Opens With: Microsoft Works© Spreadsheet
>
> Lately, when I try to open any of them, I get 2 Microsoft Works error boxes
> with ! in a yellow triangle and an OK button
>
> The first has no other text
> The second has the text "Works cannot complete the task. Try restarting
> Windows, or reinstalling Works."
>
> If I click the OK on each, the spreadsheet opens and all seems to be OK, but
> when I close the spreadsheet, the same error messages occur.
>
> What can I do to get rid of these annoying messages?
> --
> Trevor L.
>

> Expand AllCollapse All
> --
> Trevor L.

Thank you, "*FLarsen*".

Yes, I have reinstalled Works, and the problem continued. Since then I have
uninstalled the "Works Add-On for Microsoft Word" (I think that is what is it
named), but I haven't reinstalled Works since. I may give it another try.

It is certainly annoying. In fact, my wife, who shares the computer, assumed
that documents were not being saved - which is a quite reasonable assumption.

Cheers
"*FLarsen*" wrote:

> Have you tried to reinstall Works? It may fix the problem.
>
> "Trevor L." wrote:
>
> > I have postes this in the Windows Works NewsGroup, but I am wondering whether
> > it may be an XP problem.
> >
> > What does anyone think?
> >

> > I have many Works spreadsheets (".xlr" extension)
> > Properties shows
> > File Type: Microsoft Works Spreadsheet or Chart
> > Opens With: Microsoft Works© Spreadsheet
> >
> > Lately, when I try to open any of them, I get 2 Microsoft Works error boxes
> > with ! in a yellow triangle and an OK button
> >
> > The first has no other text
> > The second has the text "Works cannot complete the task. Try restarting
> > Windows, or reinstalling Works."
> >
> > If I click the OK on each, the spreadsheet opens and all seems to be OK, but
> > when I close the spreadsheet, the same error messages occur.
> >
> > What can I do to get rid of these annoying messages?
> > --
> > Trevor L.
> >

> > Expand AllCollapse All
> > --
> > Trevor L.

I tried re-installing Works.

Before I did , I deleted the entire Works Suite using Control
Panel|Add/Remove Programs, so that it was clean install (or so I hoped). But
I am still getting the same error messages.

I am almost resigned to putting up with it - either that or converting all
my Works spreadsheets to Excel (which I have installed, and which is
probably a better spreadsheet, anyway)