FlatBlackXD

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
My computer, while doing minimal work as well as under close to full load on one of my GPUs(my GPUs are at 60-70 at max, so they aren't over heating and neither is my CPU), will completely shut down and restart. From what I have read and the things I have seen, it seems to be a power supply issue. This happened once yesterday but than ran flawlessly. Turned it on today and it happened multiple times within 30 minutes. In the BIOS all three, 3V, 5V, and the 12V+ all were running at weird numbers, and the numbers were in red. I don't know the specifics of what voltages are ok, and how far they can flux before it is considered bad, but the 12V+ was running at almost 14V.

I took my tower to a local computer repair shop to have them test my PSU as well as look at my comp to see if I missed anything, and the owner suggested that I replace my power supply, with a 1000W PSU, after describing and him seeing the issues in the voltages.

This is what HWMonitor is currently reading on the voltages, currently only have a few programs open and Firefox.

+3.3V Value: 3.28V with max and min also at 3.28V.
+5V Value: 4.87 with same max and min.
+12V running at 11.82 with min of 11.77 and max of 11.82.

Any suggestions? I am currently running just once HD 6870 to keep the load down and at least have my computer be able to stay online so I can type this out. Should I go ahead and replace my PSU, with a 1000W PSU, as it does not seem able to support my full build? Could it just be an issue with this individual PSU and RMA'ing back to Corsair will fix the issue?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Solution
Yeah, that definitely sounds like a weak/dying PSU, but what do you have now (Corsair, I know, but which one)?

A good 500-550W unit should power that system easily. It just sounds like a PSU that's dying, not necessarily a PSU with too little wattage. Corsair's are great units, but they're not beyond reproach.

FlatBlackXD

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
Oh I guess my signature isn't showing.

My full build is this:

PSU: Corsair TX 850W Enthusiast Series
CPU: Core i7 950 @ stock speeds.
GPU: 2x XFX HD 6870s DDs
Memory: G.Skill DDR3 1600
Case: Antec 900 with all 4 fans hooked up as well as an additional 120mm side fan.
Storage: Samsung 830 128GB, OCZ Vertex 2 60GB, and an old WD 320GB.
CD/DVDROM: Some old one.
Monitors: Samsung 27'' LED, Samsung 24'', and Samsung 23.5''

Lol, it shows in replies but not in the OP, hmm.

*EDIT*

Also, don't you think 500-550W is too little for two HD 6870s and a Core i7 build?

Ah, the signature is showing now, and that makes a lot more sense now.

I missed the "GPU's" part in the original reply, but still, a 700-750W unit would power that with no problem at all. 1kW is for 3-way SLI/CF, and WAY overkill for you. Hell, 850W is overkill for you.

I'll stick to what I said originally though. It just sounds like the PSU is dying. If you can RMA it, that's what I would recommend.

FlatBlackXD

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
That's what I was told the last time I had a computer problem and I brought up the PSU possibly not having enough power to power my system.

If my PSU is dying, I think it is but I am speaking hypothetically, how risky is it to run just one video card until I can order a new one? I understand that if it is dying, the last thing I want is my PSU completely dying out and destroying my system, but if I don't have any issues for the time being, is it ok to use this one?

Last question(sorry for asking so many), do you have any personal suggestions? I am currently looking at Newegg and I always hear that that Antec, Cooler Master, and Corsair are the best bets when it comes to PSUs, but I'm wondering which one to go with exactly.

Thanks again.

It should be ok with just one card, but I'm just guessing with voltages that low, it'll still be unstable.

As far as what PSU I would recommend, this is a great one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703027
PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W High Performance 80PLUS Silver SLI CrossFire ready Power Supply $99.99 ($79.99 after MIR)

Or this, of course. CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply $109.99 and %10 off with a promo code until 8/15 (also $89.99 after MIR)

Edit: URL tag not working for the first one, for some reason, but the link works now.

Solution

FlatBlackXD

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
Quick little update. Unplugged one of my HD 6870s and ran my comp the whole day with no problems. All voltage issues have gone away which practically confirms both of our previous ideas/guesses.

I am advanced RMAing it with Corsair(yay for being in California as well), and hopefully that will completely solve the issue.

Thanks again for your help, appreciate it.