Tech setup upgrade questions.

verified

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Alright, so basically I've always wanted an extremely powerful laptop for absolutely no reason. The only thing I do that actually requires speed is a few robust brograms (key word BRO) that I write for no reason other then learning purposes. Right now I have a dell studio 1558 with these specs
http://screensnapr.com/e/YXVRTj.jpg

Money isn't really a problem.
Other info:
-Laptop upstairs connected to wireless router located downstairs (speedtest) -> http://www.speedtest.net/result/1917887827.png

anything I can do for better results? Better modem, router etc. I do a lot of streaming and downloading, so any router upgrades, or tips for a faster net are welcome.

current router model: Netgear WNR2000v2.

-REALLY in to media, I have a server downstairs with A LOT of media on it, but it's just an old computer with network sharing. What should I buy for it so streaming is faster, and files transfer faster?
-What's your preference on filesharing OS's?
-Should I just make my own laptop(must be a laptop), if so, where should I start there?

I'll probably add more if I think of something. Ask any questions that will help you helping me.
Thanks.

Oh and basically parents don't know I have large amounts of money, so I can buy computer parts etc without them knowing, but I can't do anything major like buying a different internet plan.

"basically parents don't know I have large amounts of money" not good. fix it.

googling "brograms" could decide if you were

Brograms | Broga Yoga
www.brogayoga.com/brograms/
Intro to Broga video. Broga is a yoga class geared for men.

or if you were

Urban Dictionary: brogram
www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=brogram
A group of male soccer players that act gay together and treat women with disrespect. Often cracking women jokes and always known for making hand g...

----------

In any case: "What should I buy for it so streaming is faster, and files transfer faster?" If you are getting 10MB/sec thats about the limit of current wireless. Even an old drive will stream 10MB/sec. The old medai serving PC should be hard wire connected to the router, you don't want to take two wireless hops, that will kill your throughput.

"What's your preference on filesharing OS's?" Google 'freenas' it a linux based nas server

"Should I just make my own laptop(must be a laptop), if so, where should I start there? " Not sure how you can make a laptop.