Need major help, PC keeps freezing.

Keyvaniath

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
Okay, My 13 year old little brothers computer keeps Freezing.
Let me back up
He has a 2 year old HP laptop no more warranty and the fan is under the computer(yea i know Not the best design.) So in the past couple of weeks it has been freezing and he keeps freaking out so I had to step in. I ran MalwareBytes and found 36 items, Removed them. Ran AVG+Internet scan After found problems, Fixed it. It still keeps freezing. currently the scan is running. Im trying not to do anything with the computer because it might freeze. From there I just checked and the Idle temps with only Control Panel open is around 70C mobo 62 GPU etc Everything on speccy is orange and red. So it is leading me to believe that the computer is freezing because it is overheating. He has a USB fan on the botom of his PC and I just turned it on to see if the temps changed. Went down by about 1-2 C.. still 70+, He tells me it crashes when he games(i would assume so) Making me think its overheating. I just need help for this computer problem. Thought id turn here to the worlds best PC minds. Anyhelp is much Appreciated.

-Keyvaniath

airanp

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012

With the warranty being gone, I would suggest getting a can of compressed air and breaking open the laptop and really clean it out. It could be that all the dirt and dust of the past two years has blocked air flow causing the high temps. Or it could also be that over the years the CPU is no longer adequately cooled. But definately get the canned air and clean it out and see if that helps.

Keyvaniath

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011

i think thats what im gonna do. Sounds like a stupid question, but how does that void that warranty?
thanks very much airanp