First build

Mcast

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Hello,
Hey need some advice on my first build. It's gonna be used for gaming mostly mmos and anything else new that catches my eye. After a few days of watching videos on different sites I have gotten This far:

intel I7 3930k
asus P9x79 pro mother board

Need advice on the rest of the stuff. Like I said I don't know much about this stuff any help will be appreciated. Thanks

niknovacain

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
The difference between an i5 2500k and a i7 3930k for gaming will not be too noticeable at all.

And if you are going with that combo I assume you are going with a gtx 680 or 2, because graphics are way more important than processor and motherboard.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
If you're going to be running "mostly mmos and anything else new" then why do you need an i7 3930K again? Seems to me like an i5 2500K paired with a good graphics card such as a GTX 680 or a Radeon HD 7970 would do a great job for a lot less money. Why not save a little where you can and splurge on the graphics cards where it will do you more good. Those six core CPU's really strut their stuff when doing video rendering tasks but the difference is less noticable when running games. For what you would save on the CPU/ Motherboard combo you could get an extra graphics card and run SLI/Crossfire on the graphics.

Mcast

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Ok this might sound crazy... Like I said before don't know much about computers so here it goes.

Why not? Using the 3930k with gtx 680 will handle any game out now and anything they can throw at me for a few years. Right?

l0v3rboi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

What parts do you need (i.e. do you need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc...)?

If you really insist on getting those parts, your MoBo, CPU, and Video card is going to cost 1500 by themselves. That leaves you with 500 for the rest (you said your budget is 2k right). I'm assuming you still need everything which means RAM, PSU, Case, Monitor, HDD, SSD, Keyboard, Mouse. 500 is not enough for those. Where are you going to buy these from so we can help you price it (country and website please). Thanks.

Mcast

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Amazon or newegg look like the best place I'm in the US. Money ain't a big thing if i don't have to build a new one in a a year or two. 2 k was my base. (figured average cost of decent comp store bought)

Yes, but so will the 2500k. Unless you're getting into heavy video editing or something along those lines there is absolutely no reason to buy an i7. The i7 features hyperthreading which no game now or likely in the near future will be able to take advantage of. Its a complete waste of money. Most games don't even use 4 cores, let alone the "pretend cores" of Hyperthreading.

Very good. Mcast said its his first build, lets hope he doesn't make a noob mistake and pay more than he has to for something that won't make a difference. +1 to this build, although I'd suggest going with a Corsair TX850v2 for the power.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139022&Tpk=tx850v2

l0v3rboi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

Yah. even if you have the money, you don't have to spend more than what you need. :na: