Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First build

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 27, 2012 4:05:16 AM

Hello,
Hey need some advice on my first build. It's gonna be used for gaming mostly mmos and anything else new that catches my eye. After a few days of watching videos on different sites I have gotten This far:

intel I7 3930k
asus P9x79 pro mother board

Need advice on the rest of the stuff. Like I said I don't know much about this stuff any help will be appreciated. Thanks

More about : build

a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 4:07:28 AM

If its only for gaming, I would stick with an i5 + z77 MoBo. That combo is overkill for just gaming.
m
0
l
April 27, 2012 4:09:54 AM

Probably but I don't want to limit myself. Have about 2k to do this build so looking to make it best it can be.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 27, 2012 4:31:58 AM

The difference between an i5 2500k and a i7 3930k for gaming will not be too noticeable at all.

And if you are going with that combo I assume you are going with a gtx 680 or 2, because graphics are way more important than processor and motherboard.
m
0
l
April 27, 2012 4:57:30 AM

EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

About 499.99 looks good

m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 5:15:05 AM

If you're going to be running "mostly mmos and anything else new" then why do you need an i7 3930K again? Seems to me like an i5 2500K paired with a good graphics card such as a GTX 680 or a Radeon HD 7970 would do a great job for a lot less money. Why not save a little where you can and splurge on the graphics cards where it will do you more good. Those six core CPU's really strut their stuff when doing video rendering tasks but the difference is less noticable when running games. For what you would save on the CPU/ Motherboard combo you could get an extra graphics card and run SLI/Crossfire on the graphics.
m
0
l
April 27, 2012 6:08:58 AM

Ok this might sound crazy... Like I said before don't know much about computers so here it goes.

Why not? Using the 3930k with gtx 680 will handle any game out now and anything they can throw at me for a few years. Right?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 6:15:34 AM

Mcast said:
Ok this might sound crazy... Like I said before don't know much about computers so here it goes.

Why not? Using the 3930k with gtx 680 will handle any game out now and anything they can throw at me for a few years. Right?


What parts do you need (i.e. do you need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc...)?

If you really insist on getting those parts, your MoBo, CPU, and Video card is going to cost 1500 by themselves. That leaves you with 500 for the rest (you said your budget is 2k right). I'm assuming you still need everything which means RAM, PSU, Case, Monitor, HDD, SSD, Keyboard, Mouse. 500 is not enough for those. Where are you going to buy these from so we can help you price it (country and website please). Thanks.
m
0
l
April 27, 2012 6:21:22 AM

Amazon or newegg look like the best place I'm in the US. Money ain't a big thing if i don't have to build a new one in a a year or two. 2 k was my base. (figured average cost of decent comp store bought)
m
0
l
April 27, 2012 6:26:15 AM

Oh and parts , ssd, hdd at least a tb storage, ram ( not sure how much I'll need), case, CPU cooling, psu,

I got monitors, keyboard ,mouse
m
0
l
April 27, 2012 6:42:52 AM

I agree about monitors bigger the better. I use to hook up to my 40" plasma tv when ever I could.
m
0
l
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
April 27, 2012 6:43:17 AM

Mcast said:
Ok this might sound crazy... Like I said before don't know much about computers so here it goes.

Why not? Using the 3930k with gtx 680 will handle any game out now and anything they can throw at me for a few years. Right?

Yes, but so will the 2500k. Unless you're getting into heavy video editing or something along those lines there is absolutely no reason to buy an i7. The i7 features hyperthreading which no game now or likely in the near future will be able to take advantage of. Its a complete waste of money. Most games don't even use 4 cores, let alone the "pretend cores" of Hyperthreading.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 6:47:33 AM

i5 2500k: 220 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Gigabyte z77x-Ud5h: 190 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G-Skill Ripjaw Series 2x 4 Gb: 47 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

EVGA Superclocked GTX 680 x 2: 1040 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

WD Caviar Black 1 Tb: 140 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 128 Gb: 179 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

XFX Pro 750 W Silver Certified: 140 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Carbide 500r white: 140 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Grand total: $2096

This build should destroy any game that comes out in the years to come.
m
0
l
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
April 27, 2012 6:50:08 AM

l0v3rboi said:
i5 2500k: 220 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Gigabyte z77x-Ud5h: 190 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G-Skill Ripjaw Series 2x 4 Gb: 47 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

EVGA Superclocked GTX 680 x 2: 1040 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

WD Caviar Black 1 Tb: 140 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 128 Gb: 179 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

XFX Pro 750 W Silver Certified: 140 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Carbide 500r white: 140 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Grand total: $2096

This build should destroy any game that comes out in the years to come.

Very good. Mcast said its his first build, lets hope he doesn't make a noob mistake and pay more than he has to for something that won't make a difference. +1 to this build, although I'd suggest going with a Corsair TX850v2 for the power.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 6:57:56 AM

O.. The build I suggested does not include a CPU Cooler for when your overclocking (30) and OS (100) which now brings the total to 2226 dollars approximately.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 6:58:50 AM

nekulturny said:
Very good. Mcast said its his first build, lets hope he doesn't make a noob mistake and pay more than he has to for something that won't make a difference. +1 to this build, although I'd suggest going with a Corsair TX850v2 for the power.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Yah. even if you have the money, you don't have to spend more than what you need. :na: 
m
0
l
April 27, 2012 7:10:20 AM

Lol thanks guys this set up will do. And I am a noob but wasn't everyone at one point :p 
Have a good night.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 8:14:39 AM

check my sig.

i5 2500k + 2x HD7970's for 2k.
m
0
l
!