asus cusl2 cant install soudcard help!

G

i have been trying to install a pci soundblaster 16 sound card in this asus culs2 and everytime i load the drivers and then shutdown insert the sound card windows comes up and say its found new hardware but not a soundblaster 16.
it says it found a new audio multimedia device???????
so when i try to point the drivers out to install the hardware it says this driver was nor written for your specific device {its the software that came with the card}
so if i go ahead and force it to use the software it freezes my computer!!!!!!!!!
maybe this sound card is not compadable with my system?
any suggestions would help
hell maybe someone has had the same problem and can tell me what sound card to use with the asus CUSL2
thanks

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
that would be my guess... the sound card is too old for the system.
a sb live wont cost u very much at all.
and the sound will be ALOT nicer

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have created"~Darth Vader, Star wars

G

well you know the thing about this is i bought this sound card 3 or 4 weeks ago....
so why the technology would be so outdated is strange to me
but maybe wal-mart has sound cards for years before they actually sell them

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Windows is giving you an IRQ conflict. If you had a different soundcard in there before, remove the lines that refer to it from Autoexec.bat, then go into BIOs and set it to "PNP OS-NO" This will allow BIOS to assign the IRQ's for your card and it should not lock after that!

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

you know its strange that you mention that because i have done that very thing in bios....
i built this computer new so it has never had another sound card in it....
any other suggestions ?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
YOu also have to remember that certain slots share IRQ's with other slots and devices. I have had my soundcard mounted in both slots 3 and 4 with good success. So you may need to just rearrange your cards!

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

i dont have anything on the board now...
all of the pci slots where empty when i tried to install the sound card....
i did eventually get a modem installed but that was after alot of hell...
i sent you a pm
what kind of sound card are you using with your asus cusl2?

tartarhus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Update your bios, clear your cmos (or remove your mobo battery), disable all mobo audio and modem features (including gameports, etc.), then disable serial ports 1 and 2. Install your sound card in the last pci slot 6, and don't put any cards into the 1st or second slot (the first slot should always be a pci graphics card or empty). That should do the trick. Also, you should try both the newest and oldest drivers for your sound card. It's very important that if you are using win98 or win2000 that you install the latest inf files from intel !!!before!!! you install any system drivers, especially sound and video. You should also try installing the latest directx before installing your video or sound card.

-- Chaos is the better order.