AMD Phenom II X4 965 vs Intel Core i3-2100??

tonytech6

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Hello All

Once again I seek the council of this sites fellow users. I am currently looking up the final pieces on my 1st build. I have done a bunch of piece compatibility research.

I have narrowed it down to the AMD Phenom II X4 965. My question is why is Intel such a desired CPU amongst most you DIY 'ers. I am trying to keep my budget under $400. That is why i have not considered any of the intel CPU's. Although this week i did notice that Intel Core i3-2100 is on sale for $90 with rebate and coupon.

As you can tell i know very little about computers and such. I need some incite on these options.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 vs Intel Core i3-2100??

Is it like comparing a FORD vs NISSAN? i just dont know why everyone is suggesting an INTEL build. Is AMD a bad product or faulty or randomly lame?

Solution
For a low budget quad core CPU than can be overclocked and has pretty decent overall performance prior to overclocking, then Phenom II X4 965 is a pretty good deal.

tonytech6

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
This helps me out a bit. I really like the specs of the AMD 965 (also the price)

These are all things I use my PC for.

- Minor audio editing (Splitting tracks, Adding effects and encoding MP3's from extrenal Vinyl turntables)
- Minor Video editing (Splitting segments of some video)
- Web browsing and streaming video (Youtube and NETFLIX)

I think I am going to stick with the AMD 965. It just seems a lot of people are looking down on the AMD line. That is my reason for asking

maui67

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Unless you plan to upgrade within 12-18 months this is failed advice, in my opinion (which doesn't mean much sometimes...lol). Haswell will be out by then and it will be on a different socket. At least with the Phenom II 965 (with AM3+ board) you have the possibility of upgrading to Piledriver. However, we don't know for certain what Haswell or Piledriver will bring at this point.

+1 great point.

From what I understand, Piledrive will be around 10-15% faster than Bulldozer. But I can predict it to be even slower than the current Ivy chips, so don't expect much :lol: but who knows, right? I may be wrong.

1155 is also a dead socket from what I understand, so if you're going to upgrade to Haswell, you'll most likely have to buy a new board.

However, if OP does intend to upgrade his CPU from an i3 to an i5/i7 later down the road (say 5-6 months), he has a tremendous upgrade path he will be able to take.

i3-21xx ---->i5 2500k/3570k, i7 2600k/2700k/3770k

Anyway, @ OP, for your usage, I would prefer to get the X4 965 just because of it's two extra physical cores. It may give the Phenom chip a little bit of an edge in your working environment.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/289?vs=102

tonytech6

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
I dont plan on upgrading for at least a couple of years. I dont think i will over clock. I know the 965 BE is using a wattage of 125w What is the minimum power supply should i be using for this. I was looking at getting a 300W power supply. My video card will only pull 68w.

Is this the wrong power supply amount for this CPU?

Thats a dumb idea. One I have never understood. If you're "upgrading" the CPU within a year, you should have saved up enough money to buy the right CPU to meet your needs in the first place. If upgrading 2 years from now, the socket has changed, which means if you want the most current CPU, you're buying a new mobo.

+1 for this..

Also great recommendation on the CX430v2, I forgot about the CX series for a sec there :lol:

tonytech6

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012

this is the video card i am aiming to get my system.

Radeon HD 6670 1GB DDR3 PCI-E w/ DVI, HDMI
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX36525

I dont play much games. I dabble but not a true gamer

tonytech6

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012

That power supply is right up my alley of cheapness. Its seems to have to the ideal reviews. That is gonna be my power supply choice now. Thank you very much. :D

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
+1 to that last.
Although, using a 80+ 430w PSU can limit a bit what you can do. As far as I recall, 550TIs are a bit power hungry, which can lead to pushing limits on the PSU. Basically, calculate 80% from 430 and thats the ideal limit for the supply. Keep that in mind with any graphics card. Great suggestions though, and my addendum might not even be to consider in you case.

(125w CPU, 75w(pci)+150w(6-pin) Graphics, Peripherals ... you get about 350w maximum power draw?)

Id go with the 7770.

As for the GPU: Get the Radeon HD 7770 over the nVIDIA 550 Ti. The Radeon HD 7770 is better and it uses less power.

As for the CPU: The Phenom II X 4 965 would be the best option for you. Like everyone else is saying. The only reason to go with the Intel Core i3 2100 is if you plan to upgrade to core i5-i7 in the future. I'd imagine an Intel Core i7 2600K still being a good processor in 2015. The Core i7 920 is still an excellent processor and it is 4 years old. It can be bought used on ebay right now for only $155. Upgrading later is still a good option with an Intel board... But only if you can find the CPU for a cheap enough price. Even outdated and used Intel processors are often sold at a high price and it's usually just not worth it.

I agree with you on the 7770. My 550 TI isn't horrible for what I do, but I'm bout ready to ditch it for a 7870 Sapphire GHz edition here in the a couple months. I'm like the OP, I'm more or less a casual gamer. But when I do game, I want more than the 550 TI has to offer. But my Phenom II hasn't let me down yet.