Feb 19, 2012
i have amd radeon 6670 hd graphic card and samsung 20inc led
i want to convert vga to hdmi ,there is only vga slot in led no hdmi
is it possible to convert using vga to hdmi cable
can it cause any damage to my led and gpu

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
There are inexpensive adapters that let you connect a VGA display to a DVI connector. Most video cards with DVI adapters use a DVI-I interface. This interface carries both DVI-D digital and DVI-A analog signals. A DVI to VGA adapter passes the DVI-A signal.

You can also find adapters that convert between HDMI and DVI. Unfortunately, since these adapters only carry the DVI-D signals, you cannot use one of these with a DVI-A adapter to go from HDMI to VGA. The only way to do this is with a more expensive signal converter.

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010

Did you not read the description for this cable?

NOTE: this cable don't support signal from VCR, COMPUTER or LAPTOP output.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
An active VGA to HDMI converted would be needed to convert VGA to HDMI, but you will not get the HDCP or sound via HDMI that would be standard. If it is possible directly connect to the TV via VGA/DVI if avalible or simply buy a new card ~ it will be cheaper than a VGA to HDMI adapter that works...

Kari

Splendid

if it wasn't clear already, here's an informative review from that very link^
151 of 156 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!, April 21, 2011
By
Jimmy P - See all my reviews
This review is from: HDMI to VGA HD15 (Male) Cable (Electronics)
What everyone needs to understand here is that you need to research before you buy. This product is not meant to take a digitanl signal and allow you to connect to an analog display, or vica versa. This cable does not do a digital to analog, or analog to digital, converion. Most HDMI devices are going to be digital, while most VGA devices are going to be analog. You cannot connect the two with a cable. You have to actually convert the signal. This cable is meant for the very few devices that can actually output analog from the HDMI connector. This is very rare and you should pretty much always assume your HDMI connection cannot support analog, and your VGA connection cannot support digital.

Do some research on your devices. The manual should tell you what is supported on each connector.

also 6670 should have DVI-I output that carries analog signla as well, so simple DVI-VGA adapter could be used, the card likely came with one bundled...