Narra3 and the AMD Phenom II X4 850

I saw a posting on the HP website that someone actually managed to get the AMD Phenom II X4 840 working on the Narra3-GL8E motherboard, and I am seriously considering getting this if it is legit. What are your opinions on this?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/Changing-CPU-on-Asus-M2N68-LA-Narra3/td-p/237790/page/3

Should I take a dive and try the 850 on my motherboard?
6 answers Last reply
More about narra3 phenom
  1. That will be a bit tricky. The computer is broken and I was getting parts to fix it, which included a motherboard and CPU. So I got the same motherboard, but a better CPU to give it a little boost. Would it be possible if you could find out if a BIOS Update would be needed in order to use an AMD Phenom II X4 850 on it? Also, what would happen if I installed the CPU chip without the update?
  2. BIOS features:

Less than 3800+
    - System BIOS core brand: Award
    - Keyboard combination to used to enter BIOS: F10

I am not sure what that core brand is, but that is the BIOS specifics for my motherboard that I got
  3. With a bit of research, it seems someone managed to get the AMD Phenom II X4 840 working on their Narra3 motherboard. If someone managed that, would a step up from that work as well?

Btw, I sent a message to the person who sold me the motherboard. I should get a response back soon on what update the motherboard currently has
  4. I know the motherboard is factory refurbished, but the question is.... did they bother to update it? We'll find out soon XD
  5. Just out of curisoity, what would happen if you installed a CPU into a chip that it may not support? (Even though the motherboard supports up to 95W and the CPU is a 95W)
  6. Oi.. how would an overload happen if the voltage is the same? Would turning it on for a mere 5-10 seconds cause it to overload, in that worse case scenario?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Motherboards Phenom