Artifacts from bios to windows

55Range

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Hey there, I have a gtx 460, used for more than a year w/o any issues whatsoever, but few days back, while using my pc, screen blinked- driver stopped responding. The next day while i booted up the pc- i got artifacts everywhere from bios to windows and the gpu is not even recognized by windows, resolution decreased , was impossible to look at the screen. I opened up the pc, 'vacuumed' the card. It booted up fine. No artifacts and games run well. Ran furmark - 1 hour no artifacts at all- max temps 76 c. Played after that, still no issues.
The next day- same artifacts everywhere. I just inserted my old 9600 gt, So i can use the pc, all is working fine. Is the card gone bad ? I am really unsure because sometimes, the card just works! the next day it doesn't.

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
first off vacuuming is a bad idea. ignoring that you could damage something from hitting it too hard. the vacuum will build up a static charge and can damage your components when discharging.

dust could have built up in the slot. clean the slot with canned air or a soft bristle brush. then try the card again. if it still does the same thing RMA it.

55Range

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Well. Thxs
Dust was removed- didnt have compressed air in hand- Precautions were taken by vaccum. Few days later, my old gpu is doing fine. Guess i will just RMA the 460.