What do I do now?

MassHysteric4256

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Okay so recently, I posted about my graphics card not being detected.. and it ended up that the graphics card is fried. So, my brother gave me his old EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS. Which I think is an amazing card.

I was literally jumping up and down only to be disappointed with connecting it. I connected it into the pci-e slot (didn't realize it needed a 6-pin power connector then) and turned on the computer to hear this obnoxious screeching beep. I told my brother and he said that I couldn't use it on my computer, I felt as if he was lying so I looked further into it.

I then realized that it needed a 6-pin power connector (doh!). And I got excited once again because I had a 6-pin power connector lying around after some rummaging through my brother's stuff. xD So I put it in and came to the realization of having no idea where to put the 4 pin peripheral power cables. I did some thorough searching on the internet to figure out where to put it, but there is absolutely nothing on where to put it. All it says is to plug it into the PSU...?

I'm not really good at hardware (umm actually not good at all...) so I may come out as being a little thick to some of you. Can someone please explain where I plug those blasted 4 pin peripheral power cable?!

I think I may need a new PSU? I'm willing to buy a new one so I can use this awesome card, but shouldn't there be a place to put those power cables with the PSU I got with my computer?

In.most cases the psu that comes with a prebuilt home pc will not power a higher end.card.
You can buy a new psu that can replace the existing one on newegg or tiger direct. Antech seasonic or corsair of 500w or better can powrer that card with ease and will have the 6 pin connector you will need and.also work with an adapter
if you dont see.the connections available to your stock power supply then it is time for a new one.

MassHysteric4256

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Alright, I'm okay with buying a new psu, but are you sure there's no other way to connect it without buying one? My prebuilt one is able to handle the card cause it's 500w, but there's no other way than buying a new psu?

chosen12k6

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
there is another option you can get a 4pin to 6 pin adapter I know that my 550ti came with one some dont some do but look on newegg for it; Also are you saying that the 4pin from your psu has no place to go and how did you connect the 6 pin into the psu or is it not attached at all. Explain in simpler terms because sometimes I read too much into things therefore I can better assist you

MassHysteric4256

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
The 6 pin connects to the card perfectly fine, but there's no place to put the 4 pin. It's not attached to my psu because there's no place to attach it to, I don't think. and I already have a 4-pin to 6-pin adapter, it came with it.

chosen12k6

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
okay i think i understand what you are saying, you have a graphic card that has a 6pin connect slot so you grabbed the adapter and plugged it in but there is no place to plug in the 4 pin end. Correct? Answer so I can further assist you with your issue

chosen12k6

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Also find you PSU online by looking at the model number on the psu and post the link or just type the model # with brand. have you looked at all the wires coming from the PSU I cannot believe it would have a 4 pin ply a 3 pin with the plastic thick cap (thats what i call it will fit into a 4 pin and work just fine. But dont do anything until you post brand and model# of your PSU

Edit: Check along the cables like connectors sometimes dangle off the side that you cant see also how old is your PC is it a prebuilt or did you build it yourself. Need more info on system specs