Photoshop Elements 3.1 (Windows) Instruction Error "0x2346..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Each time I exit my Photoshop Elements 3.1 (Windows), I get this
message: The instruction at "0x23461be9" referenced memory at
"0x23ad9e0c". Memory could not be referenced.

I have a Dell Dimension 4400, Pentium 4, 1.99 GHz, 1 GB RAM, Windows XP

SP2.

On 26 Jun 2005 04:02:12 -0700, "irandolph@hotmail.com"
<irandolph@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Each time I exit my Photoshop Elements 3.1 (Windows), I get this
>message: The instruction at "0x23461be9" referenced memory at
>"0x23ad9e0c". Memory could not be referenced.
>

>I have a Dell Dimension 4400, Pentium 4, 1.99 GHz, 1 GB RAM, Windows XP
>
>SP2.

From my own experience, I can think of a few possible reasons. Others
will probably find more.

There's a possibility that PE is written wrong; I doubt that in this
case.
The other possibilities revolve around the RAM or memory controller;
either could be bad.
The error message says that one instriction is telling he OS to find
data of some sort at another location; for some reason, the OS is not
finding that data. It's either not there, or the RAM is bad.
There are many free RAM checking utilities available; a Google search
on shareware will find many shareware sites. Pick oe that looks good
to you.
If the RAM checks out OK, well, there may be another problem like the
memory controller, and, if so, you'll be getting other similar
problems eventually, but with a Gig of RAM, maybe not many.
Or, you may have a conflict with other apps or processes
(CTRL+ALT+DEL, then the Processes tab to see what's running); one or
more may be conflicting.

Good luck!
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Stacey

irandolph@hotmail.com wrote:

> Each time I exit my Photoshop Elements 3.1 (Windows), I get this
> message: The instruction at "0x23461be9" referenced memory at
> "0x23ad9e0c". Memory could not be referenced.

My guess is a background app like AV software is conflicting.

--

Stacey

irandolph@hotmail.com wrote:
> Each time I exit my Photoshop Elements 3.1 (Windows), I get this
> message: The instruction at "0x23461be9" referenced memory at
> "0x23ad9e0c". Memory could not be referenced.
>

> I have a Dell Dimension 4400, Pentium 4, 1.99 GHz, 1 GB RAM, Windows XP
>
> SP2.

The problem is fairly common on 'doze 98 system with more than 256 meg
of RAM but I thought it was fixed in XP. What is happening is when PS
exits it flushes the part of RAM it flagged as being used (not the
scratch disk, that is done separately) and when Windows kernel won't
give it up, you get that message.

One fix which sometimes works is to set the size of Windows virtual
memory to a fixed size. Windows will not let you set a swap file over
4092 Megabytes in size on any given drive. A lot of heavy users add
another hard drive and use that in two partitions. One for Windows swap
and the other for Photoshop's scratch file.

If you hard drive is over 60% full, Windows begins to economize of the
floating size of the default swap file so setting it to a fixed size
might solve your problems. I'd do a live reinstall of windows too. There
is a new Windows Installer just released (version 3) with fixes some
issues which occur during software installation.

Douglas