Photoshop Elements 3.1 (Windows) Instruction Error "0x2346..

Each time I exit my Photoshop Elements 3.1 (Windows), I get this
message: The instruction at "0x23461be9" referenced memory at
"0x23ad9e0c". Memory could not be referenced.

I have a Dell Dimension 4400, Pentium 4, 1.99 GHz, 1 GB RAM, Windows XP

SP2.
4 answers Last reply
More about photoshop elements windows instruction error 0x2346

    On 26 Jun 2005 04:02:12 -0700, "irandolph@hotmail.com"
    <irandolph@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Each time I exit my Photoshop Elements 3.1 (Windows), I get this
    >message: The instruction at "0x23461be9" referenced memory at
    >"0x23ad9e0c". Memory could not be referenced.
    >

    >I have a Dell Dimension 4400, Pentium 4, 1.99 GHz, 1 GB RAM, Windows XP
    >
    >SP2.

    From my own experience, I can think of a few possible reasons. Others
    will probably find more.

    There's a possibility that PE is written wrong; I doubt that in this
    case.
    The other possibilities revolve around the RAM or memory controller;
    either could be bad.
    The error message says that one instriction is telling he OS to find
    data of some sort at another location; for some reason, the OS is not
    finding that data. It's either not there, or the RAM is bad.
    There are many free RAM checking utilities available; a Google search
    on shareware will find many shareware sites. Pick oe that looks good
    to you.
    If the RAM checks out OK, well, there may be another problem like the
    memory controller, and, if so, you'll be getting other similar
    problems eventually, but with a Gig of RAM, maybe not many.
    Or, you may have a conflict with other apps or processes
    (CTRL+ALT+DEL, then the Processes tab to see what's running); one or
    more may be conflicting.

    Good luck!
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Thanks, Bill

    irandolph@hotmail.com wrote:

    > Each time I exit my Photoshop Elements 3.1 (Windows), I get this
    > message: The instruction at "0x23461be9" referenced memory at
    > "0x23ad9e0c". Memory could not be referenced.

    My guess is a background app like AV software is conflicting.

    --

    Stacey

    irandolph@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Each time I exit my Photoshop Elements 3.1 (Windows), I get this
    > message: The instruction at "0x23461be9" referenced memory at
    > "0x23ad9e0c". Memory could not be referenced.
    >

    > I have a Dell Dimension 4400, Pentium 4, 1.99 GHz, 1 GB RAM, Windows XP
    >
    > SP2.

    The problem is fairly common on 'doze 98 system with more than 256 meg
    of RAM but I thought it was fixed in XP. What is happening is when PS
    exits it flushes the part of RAM it flagged as being used (not the
    scratch disk, that is done separately) and when Windows kernel won't
    give it up, you get that message.

    One fix which sometimes works is to set the size of Windows virtual
    memory to a fixed size. Windows will not let you set a swap file over
    4092 Megabytes in size on any given drive. A lot of heavy users add
    another hard drive and use that in two partitions. One for Windows swap
    and the other for Photoshop's scratch file.

    If you hard drive is over 60% full, Windows begins to economize of the
    floating size of the default swap file so setting it to a fixed size
    might solve your problems. I'd do a live reinstall of windows too. There
    is a new Windows Installer just released (version 3) with fixes some
    issues which occur during software installation.

    Douglas

Photoshop Photo Memory Cameras