Solved

Cannot detect sound card

Hey all, I've got a bit of a problem with my sound card. I am completely unable to detect it. It does not show up in the dxdiag, nor is it listed in the device manager (also no unknown devices listed).

I don't believe it is a hardware issue because I had this same problem with my last sound card, thought it might be the card so I snagged a new one and it seems to have the same problem.

Things I've tried:
-turning "on" Plug and Play in the BIOS
-installing drivers (drivers won't install when it cannot detect the hardware that it is for)
-checking connections/cords/cables
-changing the PCI slot that the sound card was put in
-about a dozen other little things that I can't remember anymore...

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit with a Maximus II Formula mb, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5 GHz and 4 gigs of RAM.

Everything worked just fine before I moved (never move your PC for any reason, ever...)

Please help, thank you.
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cannot detect sound card
  1. Look for updated drivers, make sure they are 64bit drivers and reinstall them regardless if it 'sees' the card or not. Sometimes you have to load the drivers then they will initiate the sound after 'discovering' it.
  2. Made the attempt. No such luck :( Every driver I've tried to install does the same thing "You don't have the hardware to match this driver... blah blah blah"
  3. Do you know the make/model of the sound card?
  4. It is a Sound Blaster Audigy SE
  5. Sadly no :( I gave them a shot but I still get the same problem, "Can't install because we don't see your hardware blah blah blah..."

    I also updated the chipset drivers on my mobo. I figured that MAYBE that would allow my mobo to detect something but to no avail :(
  6. Does your sound card show up in Device Manager under Sound, etc.?
    Is your onboard sound disabled in BIOS? (although that shouldn't make your card invisible)
  7. My sound card does not show up in the device manager, no. I don't have any onboard sound as the mobo is a maximus II which includes a provided sound card. That sound card had the same issue as the one I'm currently working with. I bought the new one thinking that I might have a problem with the original sound card (apparently not an issue and I will likely return it once I get this issue fixed).
  8. If the card doesn't show up in Device Manager and there are no yellow exclamation marks indicating a problem, it appears Windows doesn't even know the card is in the expansion slot. That would indicate the card is dead or the PCI slots are not working. Do you have another PCI device you can test in the slots?
  9. Unfortunately no. The only thing that MIGHT help is that I used my old sound card in a PCI-E x1 slot and had the same problem. This current card uses a PCI slot and neither are detected. It's like my computer won't detect any new hardware, no matter the slot that it's put in.
  10. Best answer
    Strange...
    Check in your BIOS setup to see if the 'Memory Remap Feature' somehow got disabled. (Pg. 3-26 in your manual). If all else fails, do Windows backup image of the HDD (and make a system repair disk when done), and then try a fresh install of Windows 7. See if the card is recognized. If it still won't regognize it, you can always restore your system with the image you made using the system restore disk.
  11. I also have the same problem of not recognizing the PCi sound card.
    My system has Asus Crosshair IV Formula,I installed Creative Soundblaster xFI Elite Pro.Please help how to disable the on board sound or shall I go to "Memory Remap Feature" as above if it is in my mobo manual?Thanks
  12. I think that I'll end up reformatting my computer (it's about that time anyway...) Sorry for the late response. Semester started and I'm teaching for the first time (not as easy as taking a class). Will repost when I get the time to reformat. Thanks again for all of your help.
  13. cgroves said:
    I think that I'll end up reformatting my computer (it's about that time anyway...) Sorry for the late response. Semester started and I'm teaching for the first time (not as easy as taking a class). Will repost when I get the time to reformat. Thanks again for all of your help.


    I have the same card as you and the same problem. What did you see, cgroves? What do you know!??
  14. McNuts said:
    cgroves said:
    I think that I'll end up reformatting my computer (it's about that time anyway...) Sorry for the late response. Semester started and I'm teaching for the first time (not as easy as taking a class). Will repost when I get the time to reformat. Thanks again for all of your help.


    I have the same card as you and the same problem. What did you see, cgroves? What do you know!??



    Please, somebody i have the same problem but with a ASUS XONAR DS !! HELP
  15. vinocks said:
    I also have the same problem of not recognizing the PCi sound card.
    My system has Asus Crosshair IV Formula,I installed Creative Soundblaster xFI Elite Pro.Please help how to disable the on board sound or shall I go to "Memory Remap Feature" as above if it is in my mobo manual?Thanks


    To disable the on-board sound, go to your BIOS setup and find Advanced/OnBoard Device Configuration/HD Azalia Device. That is your onboard sound chip. You can disable it there. (page 3-25 in your motherboard manual) Then be sure you remember to set the sound card as the default device in Windows instead of the onboard.

    If you need help with a problem, you will have better luck starting a new thread rather than hi-jacking another's thread.
  16. McNuts said:
    cgroves said:
    I think that I'll end up reformatting my computer (it's about that time anyway...) Sorry for the late response. Semester started and I'm teaching for the first time (not as easy as taking a class). Will repost when I get the time to reformat. Thanks again for all of your help.


    I have the same card as you and the same problem. What did you see, cgroves? What do you know!??


    Unfortunately, I ended up rebuilding my PC (video card was virtually dead as well) which, as you would imagine, solved the problem. Afraid this is a mystery that I never solved...
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Components