Solved

Dead CPU or dead motherboard? {UNSOLVED}

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Processors
  • Motherboards
Last response: in CPUs
August 10, 2012 1:48:12 AM

Hi my computer went dead after cleaning it a month ago because it was overheating. I dropped the Processor when i was cleaning it and broke a pin. (Pin closet to the gold arrow left side.) after that i tried booting up with the CPU inside, and the monitor displayed "No Signal." So i figured it was a dead CPU because of the pin. All the fans turned on such as the PS fan, cpu fan, GPU fan.

I ordered a AMD FX-6200 Processor, 3.8 6 Socket AM3, and my motherboard is a ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD. According to Newegg, this motherboard does not support the FX series of AMD processors. But i put it in anyway, and the monitor gave me the same message, "No Signal."

So i am in the process of returning the AMD FX-6200 Processor back to amazon, and i also ordered the AMD Phenom II X4 965 AM3 3.4Ghz 512KB 45NM 125W 4000MHZ processor instead because my motherboard supports the Phenom.

Do you guys think that this new processor will fix the problem or is it the motherboard?
All the lights on the motherboard light up. But the MOBO never posts, it came like that though. i have been playing it for a good year until i broke the processor.

I also tried putting the dropped processor into my firends computer that uses a am2+ mobo, in another computer. His monitor gave me the same message "No signal."

Computer Specs
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3 (Dropped processor, with broken pin)
GPU: EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Mobo: ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
Powersupply: hec HP585D 585W ATX12V Power Supply

More about : dead cpu dead motherboard unsolved

Best solution

a c 283 à CPUs
a c 137 V Motherboard
August 10, 2012 2:33:12 AM

Yeah, that board definitely doesn't support any of the FX CPU's, even with a BIOS update. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A87TD_EVO/#C...

To answer your question though, yes, I'm almost positive that the 965 will "fix" the issue. A broken pin on the 1055T couldn't really have damaged the motherboard in any way.

Edit: That's a POS PSU, by the way. I have one in an older system, and it's the worst piece of junk imaginable. Very lightweight, and very unstable voltages, combined with the fact that it's nowhere near a true 585W PSU.
August 10, 2012 2:35:44 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yeah, that board definitely doesn't support any of the FX CPU's, even with a BIOS update. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A87TD_EVO/#C...

To answer you question though, yes, I'm almost positive that the 965 will "fix" the issue. A broken pin on the 1055T couldn't really have damaged the motherboard in any way.

Thank you for you quick post, The Phenom X4 comes tomorrow when i get home from work, ill install it and see if i get my monitor to come on. Thanks again

Hopefully tomorrow this all gets squared away.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 10, 2012 2:35:57 AM

Wait for the CPU, it will be fine. The 'No Signal' is because without a CPU, the computer can't turn on fully, so even though the video card is getting power, it doesn't know what to do with it, so it does nothing, thus the screen doesn't get video and displays the no signal.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 10, 2012 2:36:12 AM

Indeed it will fix but who told you to buy fx cpu which are not compatible with your board.
m
l
August 10, 2012 2:39:16 AM

xtreme5 said:
Indeed it will fix but who told you to buy fx cpu which are not compatible with your board.

My roommate. hes pretty high-speed with computers, sometimes.
m
l
August 10, 2012 4:58:30 AM

Best answer selected by pro_method.
m
l
August 10, 2012 10:28:44 PM

just got the new processor today, put it in and the machine is still now working same symptoms...
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 137 V Motherboard
August 10, 2012 10:34:29 PM

pro_method said:
just got the new processor today, put it in and the machine is still now working same symptoms...

Hmm. I don't understand. There's literally no reason at all that I can think of that the 965 wouldn't work.

Well, I suppose it's possible that the motherboard was the original problem to begin with (what actually died when it shut down the first time). That makes the most sense at this point.

Edit: It could even be the PSU, since that's very low quality unit.
m
l
August 10, 2012 10:46:50 PM

Were gonna try the power supply next
m
l
!