Well, that was interesting....

Last response: in Video Games
January 6, 2005 7:03:32 PM

After having some freeze up probs, I decided to remove and fresh install
BF1942 all the way to DC Final.
Once I got online and entered a DC game, to my amazement, I could not see
any buildings!
Nothing but landscape and a lot of players running around. I could see the
enemy through the structures! It was like a weird hack.
Anyway, knowing the map, I played to my advantage for a few minutes and
ambused several guys easily. Heck, I could see 'em coming for miles!
The disadvantage was not being able to see doorways and windows.
In the end, it got boring real fast. I'm a big opponent of cheating. No
challenge in it.
I'm in the process of dumping and installing all again and hope it goes back
to normal.
But my question is, what would cause such a glitch as this?
Running XP, 1.7g, 512mb, ATI AIW
....and if I killed anyone, I'm really sorry. ;>(
--
gunnie_jim

More about : interesting

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 8:58:56 PM

Let's see, in DC, I can randomly land planes in water, occasionally see
hovering exploded vehicle hanging in mid-air. Sometimes my guns make
noises when I shoot them, sometimes they're eerily silent. Occasionally, I
can throw a grenade and watch it blow up, sometimes it just goes "poof"
into an unknown dimension until it magically appears back in my grenade
stack. DC is really really buggy.

gunnie_jim wrote:

> After having some freeze up probs, I decided to remove and fresh install
> BF1942 all the way to DC Final.
> Once I got online and entered a DC game, to my amazement, I could not see
> any buildings!
> Nothing but landscape and a lot of players running around. I could see the
> enemy through the structures! It was like a weird hack.
> Anyway, knowing the map, I played to my advantage for a few minutes and
> ambused several guys easily. Heck, I could see 'em coming for miles!
> The disadvantage was not being able to see doorways and windows.
> In the end, it got boring real fast. I'm a big opponent of cheating. No
> challenge in it.
> I'm in the process of dumping and installing all again and hope it goes
> back to normal.
> But my question is, what would cause such a glitch as this?
> Running XP, 1.7g, 512mb, ATI AIW
> ...and if I killed anyone, I'm really sorry. ;>(
> --
> gunnie_jim
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 8:58:57 PM

"JTorres176" <spam@bot.com> wrote in message
> Let's see, in DC, I can randomly land planes in water, occasionally see
> hovering exploded vehicle hanging in mid-air. Sometimes my guns make
> noises when I shoot them, sometimes they're eerily silent. Occasionally,
> can throw a grenade and watch it blow up, sometimes it just goes "poof"
> into an unknown dimension until it magically appears back in my grenade
> stack. DC is really really buggy.

Wish I could say I haven't seen the same things. Anway, what graphics
drivers are you using Gunnie? I know with Nvidia drivers there was a
problem with objects not being rendered. This was fixed in a later version
so if you have the latest drivers (and are using Nvidia hardware) then that
should fix if for you.

Oh, my favorite was flying into a mountain that wasn't there. Funny, when I
exploded the mountain suddenly appeared.
Good luck and Semper Fi!
January 6, 2005 9:17:28 PM

"gunnie_jim" <nospam@xx.ff.ll> wrote in message

> But my question is, what would cause such a glitch as this?

What graphics drivers were/are you using?

L.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 11:01:34 PM

"JTorres176" <spam@bot.com> wrote in message
> occasionally see hovering exploded vehicle hanging in mid-air.

Thats a little glitch caused by the anti-smacktard mod.

Lorian.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 12:11:20 AM

Haha, I forgot also, in the Dustbowl map, I walked into something and
couldn't get around it, so I pressed the e key and entered a shika. I
checked the outside cam and it was there, so I got out, looked again, and
it was gone. I hit the e key again, got into it, and it was visible from
there on out, even after I got out of it. Haven't smacked any invisible
mountains though.

Halon1211 wrote:

> "JTorres176" <spam@bot.com> wrote in message
>> Let's see, in DC, I can randomly land planes in water, occasionally see
>> hovering exploded vehicle hanging in mid-air. Sometimes my guns make
>> noises when I shoot them, sometimes they're eerily silent. Occasionally,
>> can throw a grenade and watch it blow up, sometimes it just goes "poof"
>> into an unknown dimension until it magically appears back in my grenade
>> stack. DC is really really buggy.
>>

> Wish I could say I haven't seen the same things. Anway, what graphics
> drivers are you using Gunnie? I know with Nvidia drivers there was a
> problem with objects not being rendered. This was fixed in a later
> version so if you have the latest drivers (and are using Nvidia hardware)
> then that should fix if for you.
>
> Oh, my favorite was flying into a mountain that wasn't there. Funny, when
> I exploded the mountain suddenly appeared.
> Good luck and Semper Fi!
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 1:08:29 AM

Lorian wrote
>"JTorres176" wrote
>> occasionally see hovering exploded vehicle hanging in mid-air.
>
>Thats a little glitch caused by the anti-smacktard mod.

Go on Lorian, you *have* to explain to everyone here what the
anti-smacktard mod is!! Its brilliant!

--
[AGB]Villy Vonka
Sheffield, UK

"Villy Vonka" <Villy@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
> Lorian wrote
>>"JTorres176" wrote
>>> occasionally see hovering exploded vehicle hanging in mid-air.
>>
>>Thats a little glitch caused by the anti-smacktard mod.
>
> Go on Lorian, you *have* to explain to everyone here what the
> anti-smacktard mod is!! Its brilliant!
>
> --
> [AGB]Villy Vonka
> Sheffield, UK
> http://www.villyvonka.co.uk

It can be more annoying than brilliant at times. Like when an invisible tank
is on the repair pad rendering it useless for the extent of the map.
Invisible tank on the airfield that destroys every plane that attempts to
take off...
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 3:17:33 AM

I once had a glitch where all the vehicles had no texture, just white
material; and the troopers were invisible EXCEPT for their headgear, ammo
belt, and their primary wep...invisible soldiers! didnt last long tho cause
it just froze later on. The prob was bad RAM that i just got that day.

"gunnie_jim" <nospam@xx.ff.ll> wrote in message
news:o jdDd.217005$6w6.133797@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> After having some freeze up probs, I decided to remove and fresh install
> BF1942 all the way to DC Final.
> Once I got online and entered a DC game, to my amazement, I could not see
> any buildings!
> Nothing but landscape and a lot of players running around. I could see the
> enemy through the structures! It was like a weird hack.
> Anyway, knowing the map, I played to my advantage for a few minutes and
> ambused several guys easily. Heck, I could see 'em coming for miles!
> The disadvantage was not being able to see doorways and windows.
> In the end, it got boring real fast. I'm a big opponent of cheating. No
> challenge in it.
> I'm in the process of dumping and installing all again and hope it goes
back
> to normal.
> But my question is, what would cause such a glitch as this?
> Running XP, 1.7g, 512mb, ATI AIW
> ...and if I killed anyone, I'm really sorry. ;>(
> --
> gunnie_jim

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 2:18:24 PM

I had a momentary glitch in FH where I was in a jeep and if I looked through
the windscreen there were no trees or bushes! Only lasted a few seconds,
though.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 2:34:36 PM

On 2005-01-06 21:11:20 GMT, JTorres176 <spam@bot.com>
wrote in <YPhDd.800$3m6.564@fe2.texas.rr.com>:

> Haha, I forgot also, in the Dustbowl map, I walked into something and
> couldn't get around it, so I pressed the e key and entered a shika. I
> checked the outside cam and it was there, so I got out, looked again, and
> it was gone. I hit the e key again, got into it, and it was visible from
> there on out, even after I got out of it.

I've seen this with an APC in vanilla; the only reason I discovered it
was because of flame and sound from the MG and a name tag floating in
thin air. Other than that it was invisible (and it never did show up
before it 'expired' after the player had left it). Don't know if other
players could see it, but it seemed like it (no one ran into it, at
least, and there was much traffic in that area).

Only had it happen once in all my vanilla games, though, so I wonder if
some texture hadn't been properly loaded by my system that round.

-R.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 5:43:13 PM

Yes, Nvidia drivers. I'll check again for latest.
I had a helluva time getting DCF to run in the first place.
Many problems...
Mainly my graphics card is an ATI All-In-Wonder, which is not the fastest
card for games but after much fussing I finally got DCF running great for a
couple of weeks, then more freeze-ups and CTD's, then the invisible
buildings.
I gave up and dumped it completely (for now) but no worries,
I have a older machine running 98SE, 1.3mhz, 512RAM, ATI 9500 installed
BF1942 up to DCF and it works just fine, albeit slower to load.
Once my headache goes away, I'll try installing again on my faster machine.
;>)
--
gunnie_jim

"Halon1211" <sentry40@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Wish I could say I haven't seen the same things. Anway, what graphics
> drivers are you using Gunnie? I know with Nvidia drivers there was a
> problem with objects not being rendered. This was fixed in a later
> version so if you have the latest drivers (and are using Nvidia hardware)
> then that should fix if for you.
>
> Oh, my favorite was flying into a mountain that wasn't there. Funny, when
> I exploded the mountain suddenly appeared.
> Good luck and Semper Fi!
<snip>
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 5:43:14 PM

> Yes, Nvidia drivers. I'll check again for latest....

> Mainly my graphics card is an ATI All-In-Wonder

Hmmm, this COULD be a problem... ;-)
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CingularDuality

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 14:43:13 GMT, "gunnie_jim" <nospam@xx.ff.ll>
wrote:

>Yes, Nvidia drivers. I'll check again for latest.
>I had a helluva time getting DCF to run in the first place.
>Many problems...
>Mainly my graphics card is an ATI All-In-Wonder, which is not the fastest
>card for games but after much fussing I finally got DCF running great for a
>couple of weeks, then more freeze-ups and CTD's, then the invisible
>buildings.
>I gave up and dumped it completely (for now) but no worries,
>I have a older machine running 98SE, 1.3mhz, 512RAM, ATI 9500 installed
>BF1942 up to DCF and it works just fine, albeit slower to load.
>Once my headache goes away, I'll try installing again on my faster machine.
>;>)
go to www.guru3d for the latest in graphics card drivers.
OC
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 5:46:07 PM

LOL!
--
gunnie_jim

"Lorian" <nospam@lorian.nod> wrote in message

> "JTorres176" <spam@bot.com> wrote in message
>> occasionally see hovering exploded vehicle hanging in mid-air.
>
> Thats a little glitch caused by the anti-smacktard mod.
>
> Lorian.

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 5:50:26 PM

Nvidia.
I probably need to check for latest drivers...again.
Please look for my response I just posted to Halon1211
--

> "gunnie_jim" <nospam@xx.ff.ll> wrote in message
>
>> But my question is, what would cause such a glitch as this?
>
> What graphics drivers were/are you using?
>
> L.

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 5:57:43 PM

In a certain map, there are bushes that have what I can only describe as a
magnifying lens. Lay in a certain spot and it eliminates the tree or leaves
blocking your view, giving you clear precise sniper shots. Awesome with the
..50cal !
--
gunnie_jim

"Allan" <zen19100@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
>I had a momentary glitch in FH where I was in a jeep and if I looked
>through
> the windscreen there were no trees or bushes! Only lasted a few seconds,
> though.

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 7:48:43 PM

BK24 wrote
>"Villy Vonka" wrote
>> Go on Lorian, you *have* to explain to everyone here what the
>> anti-smacktard mod is!! Its brilliant!
>
>It can be more annoying than brilliant at times. Like when an invisible tank
>is on the repair pad rendering it useless for the extent of the map.
>Invisible tank on the airfield that destroys every plane that attempts to
>take off...

Does Anti Smacktardo 2000 really cause those sort of glitches? I've
seen the "dead" planes and helos occasionally hovering over enemy bases,
but that's a small price to pay for the entertainment value alone ;)

I wasn't aware of any other issues with AS2000...always considered
invisible stuff and disappearing mountains to be game bugs rather than
anything particular to our server.

--
[AGB]Villy Vonka
Sheffield, UK

Thanks!
--
gunnie_jim

<Old Chieftain> wrote in message
> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 14:43:13 GMT, "gunnie_jim" <nospam@xx.ff.ll>
> wrote:
>
>>Yes, Nvidia drivers. I'll check again for latest.
>>I had a helluva time getting DCF to run in the first place.
>>Many problems...
>>Mainly my graphics card is an ATI All-In-Wonder, which is not the fastest
>>card for games but after much fussing I finally got DCF running great for
>>couple of weeks, then more freeze-ups and CTD's, then the invisible
>>buildings.
>>I gave up and dumped it completely (for now) but no worries,
>>I have a older machine running 98SE, 1.3mhz, 512RAM, ATI 9500 installed
>>BF1942 up to DCF and it works just fine, albeit slower to load.
>>Once my headache goes away, I'll try installing again on my faster
>>machine.
>>;>)
> go to www.guru3d for the latest in graphics card drivers.
> OC
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 6:36:50 AM

>>> Yes, Nvidia drivers. I'll check again for latest....
>>
>>> Mainly my graphics card is an ATI All-In-Wonder
>
>> Hmmm, this COULD be a problem... ;-)
>
> Yep. But T.V. looks great on it!

If TV looks great on it, then I highly doubt that you were running
Nvidia drivers an an ATI card...
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CingularDuality
TacticalGamer.com Administration
http://www.TacticalGamer.com
CS:Source server: 67.19.90.171:27017
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 9:24:30 PM

Kev> I once had an experience where George Bush wasnt president of the
Kev> US and people all over the world liked the Americans.

Kev> Then I woke up.

When did they *ever* like the Americans?

--
Michael Bain
Anonymous

> In a certain map, there are bushes that have what I can only describe as a
> magnifying lens. Lay in a certain spot and it eliminates the tree or
leaves
> blocking your view, giving you clear precise sniper shots. Awesome with
the
> .50cal !
> --
> gunnie_jim

I once had an experience where George Bush wasnt president of the US and
people
all over the world liked the Americans.

Then I woke up.

Kev
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 9:26:30 PM

> I once had an experience where George Bush wasnt president of the US and
> people
> all over the world liked the Americans.
>
> Then I woke up.
>
> Kev

I had a similar experience; except in mine, countries all over the world
stopped begging for American money. They stopped lobbying for the billions
in foreign aid the US sends outside it's borders making sure a school gets
built in someplace like Somalia when it can't repair/replace it's own
schools. They stopped trying to lure American businesses to come to their
country. Best of all they stopped being two-faced nations who beg for
money quietly, yet criticize and breed hate publicly.

Boy, what the hell was I thinking!
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 8:15:39 PM

Halon1211 wrote
>I had a similar experience; except in mine, countries all over the world
>stopped begging for American money. They stopped lobbying for the billions
>in foreign aid the US sends outside it's borders making sure a school gets
>built in someplace like Somalia when it can't repair/replace it's own
>schools. They stopped trying to lure American businesses to come to their
>country. Best of all they stopped being two-faced nations who beg for
>money quietly, yet criticize and breed hate publicly.

The Somali schoolchildren are probably very grateful, have you asked
them?

--
[AGB]Villy Vonka
Sheffield, UK

> The Somali schoolchildren are probably very grateful, have you asked them?

ya know, that's a great point. When will the news media start reporting the
news? Instead the only thing you see every night is a running death toll.

Why am I talking about this in here... let's go blow something up!
Guess I just let that post get my goat.
my apologies
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 8:21:15 AM

Michael Bain wrote:

> Kev> I once had an experience where George Bush wasnt president of the
> Kev> US and people all over the world liked the Americans.
>
> Kev> Then I woke up.
>
> When did they *ever* like the Americans?

I think it was at the end of WW2 when the Yanks help liberate Europe. People
liked them at that time :)

Maybe they be liked again when they get rid of that idiot Bush.

Kev
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 8:00:01 PM

Kev (The Car Collector) wrote
>I think it was at the end of WW2 when the Yanks help liberate Europe. People
>liked them at that time :)
>
>Maybe they be liked again when they get rid of that idiot Bush.

Your comments are a bit harsh Kev, while many of us (me included) might
have a few things to say about American foreign policy and
commercialism, I don't think it is true that anyone dislikes the people.
Just the bleedin' politicians!

--
[AGB]Villy Vonka
Sheffield, UK

> harm. But hang on - look at the number of home grown loonies in the US...
> Sad.
>
> Kev

And just what country are you from you pompous ass? Every country on the
planet has its share of "loonies".

By the way, if you're going to be inflammatory, I'd suggest you take your
OFF TOPIC comments to another group.

January 17, 2005 12:28:47 PM

"Halon1211" <sentry40@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:

>And just what country are you from you pompous ass? Every country on the
>planet has its share of "loonies".

Some other countries still show some attempts to remain fair. It's not
like a certain one which demands pictures and fingerprints taken from
every foreigner while the locals don't have to do that.

JK'05
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 12:28:48 PM

> Some other countries still show some attempts to remain fair. It's not
> like a certain one which demands pictures and fingerprints taken from
> every foreigner while the locals don't have to do that.

Really? And you know this how? Funny how folks who don't really know have
an opinion. As a "local" my fingerprints, pictures and DNA are all
documented with the government just like every "foreigner".
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 12:27:26 AM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 05:21:15 GMT, Kev (The Car Collector)
<scotsman_uk@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe they be liked again when they get rid of that idiot Bush.
>
> Kev

I would never hold it against someone that their leader is an idiot. Most
leaders are more or less nuttcases, thats why they seek power :-). You
Brits had Maggie, but people didn't go around dislikeing you for 12 years
(was it 12?).

--
Flashhart
Anonymous

Flashhart <no@spam.no> wrote:

>You
>Brits had Maggie, but people didn't go around dislikeing you for 12 years
>(was it 12?).

Everyone has disliked the Brits forever. Bad example. ;^)

JK'05 aka Elkrider
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 1:45:09 AM

Flashhart wrote
>I would never hold it against someone that their leader is an idiot.
>Most leaders are more or less nuttcases, thats why they seek power
>:-). You Brits had Maggie, but people didn't go around dislikeing you
>for 12 years (was it 12?).

Was it only 12 years, wow, believe me it felt like a lifetime :(

Don't get me started on snatcher!

--
[AGB]Villy Vonka
Sheffield, UK

Flashhart wrote
>Jan Kannemacher wrote:
>> Everyone has disliked the Brits forever. Bad example. ;^)
>
>You have had a few bad leaders in Gremany as well, haven't you ;-)

Heh, a couple of particularly bad ones come to mind...

--
[AGB]Villy Vonka
Sheffield, UK

>>You have had a few bad leaders in Gremany as well, haven't you ;-)
>
> Heh, a couple of particularly bad ones come to mind...

Just a couple. Although I guess thing someone will say is that they were
great leaders who just did really bad things.

Actually, I don't know anyone who dislikes the brits where I live. I've
worked with quite a few and they were more easy going and fun to work with
than the "locals".

January 18, 2005 2:04:53 AM

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 22:15:09 +0100, Jan Kannemacher <varros@gmx.de> wrote:

> Flashhart <no@spam.no> wrote:
>
>> You
>> Brits had Maggie, but people didn't go around dislikeing you for 12
>> years
>> (was it 12?).
>
> Everyone has disliked the Brits forever. Bad example. ;^)
>

> JK'05 aka Elkrider

You have had a few bad leaders in Gremany as well, haven't you ;-)

--
Flashhart
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 8:52:00 AM

Flashhart <no@spam.no> wrote:

>You have had a few bad leaders in Gremany as well, haven't you ;-)

It's the other way round. We've had a very few good ones during the last
1200 years. The rest...<SIGH> ;^)

JK'05
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 8:52:24 AM

Villy Vonka <Villy@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

>>You have had a few bad leaders in Gremany as well, haven't you ;-)
>
>Heh, a couple of particularly bad ones come to mind...

Only a couple? Lucky you! ;^)

JK'05
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 8:55:57 AM

"Halon1211" <sentry40@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:

>Just a couple. Although I guess thing someone will say is that they were
>great leaders who just did really bad things.

Leave the guessing and thinking to the horses. They have bigger heads
than you.

>Actually, I don't know anyone who dislikes the brits where I live.

You wouldn't know irony if having it shoved it up far enough your ass
that it dangles out of your nose.

JK'05
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 6:31:22 AM

Stoned Again wrote:
> just don't wait til you've been overrun to call uncle sam again.
Hauling
> France's chestnuts out of the fire is getting old. But, as they say
in the
> Miller High Life commercial, "You gotta hand it to them for
mayonaise. Way to
> go, Pierre."
>
> all in good fun.

You must be stoned again ;)

Where do I start? Well, he is from Denmark. When exactly did Uncle Sam
liberate Denmark then? Hint: Never. Really. Denmark was liberated by
British troops in May 1945 but you don't hear us Brits bragging to the
Danes that "we saved your sorry asses". Oh no.

A few comments, not aimed at you personally but I'm sick and tired of
the "saved your sorry asses" argument and petty bitterness especially
regarding France's decision not to involve themselves in the inept
shambles in Iraq.

How many times has Uncle Sam "hauled France's chestnuts out of the
fire"? Hint: The US helped to liberate France (stress helped, in a
coalition of many countries) once. The D-Day invasion force comprised
roughly 40% American, 40% British and 20% Canadian forces. Funny how
we only ever hear about Omaha and Utah, eh?

The first war? no chance. France held the line, sustained 1.4 MILLION
dead and over 4 MILLION wounded - in a country with a population of 40
million - remaining the senior partner on the Western Front for 4
years. Yep, if you want to know who won WW1 (if in fact anybody *won*
WW1, Germany signed an armistice not a surrender), it was primarily
France. And the naval blockade, I'll credit that one to the RN. The
French with their allies always had a greater reserve of manpower and
even by 1916 due to the attritional nature of war on the Western Front,
it had proved decisive. Germany was as good as defeated after Verdun
and the Somme, "the muddy grave of the German field army". Commander
in Chief of the allied forces was a Frenchman, Marshall Foch.

Western front March 1918 : 174 allies divisions : 99 French + 58
British + 12 Belgian + 3 US + 2 portuguese.
Western Front November 1918 : 211 Allies divisions : 104 French + 60
British + 30 US + 12 Belgian + 2 portuguese + 2 Italian + 1 Polish.

Remember Yorktown? You have the French to thank for American
independence. French finance, French equipment, French troops and the
French fleet at Chesapeake Bay. A little more respect for your old
allies wouldn't go amiss.

Other than those that were invaded, every major nation that became
involved in both world wars did so because of their own self interest.
Not to help anybody out. The US declared war in WW1 because its
shipping was being attacked, thus damaging international trade. In WW2
the US declared war because its fleet was attacked.

Lets get things in perspective, please. Again, not aimed at you
personally, just a few points to redress the balance and counter all
this moronic anti-French claptrap eminating from a minority of
uninformed American couch patriots on Usenet.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 6:08:18 PM

"[AGB]Villy Vonka" <villy@villyvonka.co.uk> wrote:

>In WW2 the US declared war because its fleet was attacked.

Slight correction: Germany declared war on the USA because the Axis
Treaty with Japan demanded it.

JK'05 aka Elkrider
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 7:40:34 PM

Jan Kannemacher wrote
>"[AGB]Villy Vonka" wrote:
>
>>In WW2 the US declared war because its fleet was attacked.
>
>Slight correction: Germany declared war on the USA because the Axis
>Treaty with Japan demanded it.

Fair point, though I'd refer to it as a clarification rather than a
correction, since the above statement holds true. I was thinking
December 8th when Congress declared war on Japan, rather than events
over the next few days, as the Tripartite (sp?) Pact meant the
declaration against Japan would almost inevitably lead to war with
Germany and Italy.

--
[AGB]Villy Vonka
Sheffield, UK

On 21 Jan 2005 03:31:22 -0800, "[AGB]Villy Vonka"
<villy@villyvonka.co.uk> wrote:

>Stoned Again wrote:
>> just don't wait til you've been overrun to call uncle sam again.
>Hauling
>> France's chestnuts out of the fire is getting old. But, as they say
>in the
>> Miller High Life commercial, "You gotta hand it to them for
>mayonaise. Way to
>> go, Pierre."
>>
>> all in good fun.
>
>You must be stoned again ;)
>
>Where do I start? Well, he is from Denmark. When exactly did Uncle Sam
>liberate Denmark then? Hint: Never. Really. Denmark was liberated by
>British troops in May 1945 but you don't hear us Brits bragging to the
>Danes that "we saved your sorry asses". Oh no.
>
>A few comments, not aimed at you personally but I'm sick and tired of
>the "saved your sorry asses" argument and petty bitterness especially
>regarding France's decision not to involve themselves in the inept
>shambles in Iraq.
Who would want french 'military' help anyway?

>How many times has Uncle Sam "hauled France's chestnuts out of the
>fire"? Hint: The US helped to liberate France (stress helped, in a
>coalition of many countries) once. The D-Day invasion force comprised
>roughly 40% American, 40% British and 20% Canadian forces. Funny how
>we only ever hear about Omaha and Utah, eh?

Well this I buy into- everyone else more or less strolled up the beach

>The first war? no chance. France held the line, sustained 1.4 MILLION
>dead and over 4 MILLION wounded - in a country with a population of 40
>million - remaining the senior partner on the Western Front for 4
>years. Yep, if you want to know who won WW1 (if in fact anybody *won*
>WW1, Germany signed an armistice not a surrender), it was primarily
>France. And the naval blockade, I'll credit that one to the RN. The
>French with their allies always had a greater reserve of manpower and
>even by 1916 due to the attritional nature of war on the Western Front,
>it had proved decisive. Germany was as good as defeated after Verdun
>and the Somme, "the muddy grave of the German field army". Commander
>in Chief of the allied forces was a Frenchman, Marshall Foch.

It did take american entrance into the war and troops on the ground to
convince hthe heinies that maybe an armistice was a good idea.
otherwise I think the french would have been forced to fight on for a
few more years, in which the germans may have got their act together
vis-a-via armour.

>Western front March 1918 : 174 allies divisions : 99 French + 58
>British + 12 Belgian + 3 US + 2 portuguese.
>Western Front November 1918 : 211 Allies divisions : 104 French + 60
>British + 30 US + 12 Belgian + 2 portuguese + 2 Italian + 1 Polish.

this is true.
>Remember Yorktown? You have the French to thank for American
>independence. French finance, French equipment, French troops and the
>French fleet at Chesapeake Bay. A little more respect for your old
>allies wouldn't go amiss.

and certainly a little more contempt for your old enemies the english.

>Other than those that were invaded, every major nation that became
>involved in both world wars did so because of their own self interest.
>Not to help anybody out. The US declared war in WW1 because its
>shipping was being attacked, thus damaging international trade. In WW2
>the US declared war because its fleet was attacked.

although they could have stayed right out of the european theatre, it
was a treaty thing I think.
>Lets get things in perspective, please. Again, not aimed at you
>personally, just a few points to redress the balance and counter all
>this moronic anti-French claptrap eminating from a minority of
>uninformed American couch patriots on Usenet.
Forgive Villy he still thinks the sun never sets on the brittish
empire. The sad truth of the matter is Brittain more or less has
devolved to the gmp and importance of a third world nation. Post WW II
their only claim to fame was as america's largest aircraft carrier
during the cold war.
I could go on, and eventually probably will...
OC
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 2:01:39 AM

"[AGB]Villy Vonka" wrote:

> [...]
> British + 30 US + 12 Belgian + 2 portuguese + 2 Italian + 1 Polish.
>
> Remember Yorktown? You have the French to thank for American
> independence. French finance, French equipment, French troops and the
> French fleet at Chesapeake Bay. A little more respect for your old
> allies wouldn't go amiss.
>
> Other than those that were invaded, every major nation that became
> involved in both world wars did so because of their own self interest.
> Not to help anybody out. The US declared war in WW1 because its
> shipping was being attacked, thus damaging international trade. In WW2
> the US declared war because its fleet was attacked.
>
> Lets get things in perspective, please. Again, not aimed at you
> personally, just a few points to redress the balance and counter all
> this moronic anti-French claptrap eminating from a minority of
> uninformed American couch patriots on Usenet.

six paragraphs to respond to one inane throw away comment? getta life.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 2:05:36 AM

Stoned Again wrote:
> Achtung Ecco wrote:

>>I consider the whole Europe/US split completely lunatic, with both sides
>>to blame. What the hell do we have in common with China for instance, or
>> Russia for that matter. Anyway, it probably doesn't matter. If, for
>>instance, China in a decade or two turns into a menacing world power,
>>common interest will automatically renew the relevant alliances.
>>
>>regards,
>>
>>Achtung Ecco
>

> just don't wait til you've been overrun to call uncle sam again. Hauling
> France's chestnuts out of the fire is getting old. But, as they say in the
> Miller High Life commercial, "You gotta hand it to them for mayonaise. Way to
> go, Pierre."
>
> all in good fun.

Hey, I am dane. We gave up serious war a couple of centuries ago.
Anyway, there is *nothing* the US can teach Europe about war and the
consequences of war. NOTHING. If the US had sustained some 10 or 20 mio
dead in WW2, that might have been a bit of damping influence on foreign
adventures.

Even Denmark has felt some of the effects. In the WW1, the southern part
of Denmark was then part of Germany. Basically all adult males were
killed while serving in the German army (conscripted).

And during the fairly soft and peaceful German occupation of Denmark in
WW2 (nothing to be proud of, I know, but what was the realistic
alternative anyway?), some 4000 civilians were killed, and around 4000
(out of 8000) soldiers volunteering in the German army (on the eastern
front) were also killed. In a population of then some 4 mio people,
that's around 0.2% of the population. Which is not that far away from
the percentage of the US losses in WW2, as part of the total population
(am I right?). And Denmark was probably the most peaceful spot in Europe
during WW2 (apart from the neutrals).

All this is not to say, that there aren't strong and warm feelings
toward the allies of WW2 and the sacrifices they made to liberate
Europe. There certainly still are (you would probably be surprised). It
is just an attempt to describe why Europeans in general are a bit more
reluctant towards the use of force. On the other hand, should Europe
ever be really threatened again, I have no doubt the response could be
as ruthless as on other occasions in history.

Anyway, as I said, I think the current situation basically has been
allowed to arise, because there are no strong common interests currently
(terrorism is dangerous, but it is not something that threatens the
existence of the western bloc). However, if some serious threat arises,
I think the western countries will get back together quite quickly.
There are no other countries in the world with as many shared values.

regards,

Achtung Ecco
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 2:14:26 AM

[AGB]Villy Vonka wrote:
> [...]
> British + 30 US + 12 Belgian + 2 portuguese + 2 Italian + 1 Polish.
>
> Remember Yorktown? You have the French to thank for American
> independence. French finance, French equipment, French troops and the
> French fleet at Chesapeake Bay. A little more respect for your old
> allies wouldn't go amiss.
>
> Other than those that were invaded, every major nation that became
> involved in both world wars did so because of their own self interest.
> Not to help anybody out. The US declared war in WW1 because its
> shipping was being attacked, thus damaging international trade. In WW2
> the US declared war because its fleet was attacked.
>
> Lets get things in perspective, please. Again, not aimed at you
> personally, just a few points to redress the balance and counter all
> this moronic anti-French claptrap eminating from a minority of
> uninformed American couch patriots on Usenet.

Just to add a short comment. As the historian Norman Davies notes in his
book "Europe, A History", most of the second world war is basically a
struggle between Germany and the USSR. This conflict dwarfs all other
aspects of the war in terms of scale of military effort and loss of
human life.

Anyway, the book is brilliant, highly recommended.

regards,

Achtung Ecco
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 2:14:27 AM

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:14:26 +0100, Achtung Ecco <nospam@spam.no>
wrote:

> [...]
>> involved in both world wars did so because of their own self interest.
>> Not to help anybody out. The US declared war in WW1 because its
>> shipping was being attacked, thus damaging international trade. In WW2
>> the US declared war because its fleet was attacked.
>>
>> Lets get things in perspective, please. Again, not aimed at you
>> personally, just a few points to redress the balance and counter all
>> this moronic anti-French claptrap eminating from a minority of
>> uninformed American couch patriots on Usenet.
>
>Just to add a short comment. As the historian Norman Davies notes in his
>book "Europe, A History", most of the second world war is basically a
>struggle between Germany and the USSR. This conflict dwarfs all other
>aspects of the war in terms of scale of military effort and loss of
>human life.
>
>Anyway, the book is brilliant, highly recommended.

too true I dearly wish operation sea lion had gone off.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 3:37:24 AM

Stoned Again wrote
>six paragraphs to respond to one inane throw away comment? getta life.

Get a calculator or some more fingers...

--
[AGB]Villy Vonka
Sheffield, UK

<tuzWQqKxGa8BFw4P@srobertson.net>, Villy@[127.0.0.1] said...
> Comments like "surrender monkeys" "you would all be speaking German"
> "saved your sorry asses" etc etc from ignorant morons (*not* referring
> to the OP as I clearly stated) really make my blood boil.
>
> Freedom fries indeed... ;)

Thanks for putting these words down Villy. I'm sure many euros agree and
support you in this.
--
Lansenerd
www.agbgaming.com

Some drunk wrote
>too true I dearly wish operation sea lion had gone off.

I've ignored most of your rants, but this one made me laugh.

You would have been happy to see a Nazi dominated Europe? Your
credibility goes down another few notches for that comment alone...

Sealion was a recipe for German catastrophe, put that bottle of toilet
duck down for a few minutes and have a read of this excellent synopsis
outlining the likely issues if it had gone ahead:

http://www.flin.demon.co.uk/althist/seal1.htm

--
[AGB]Villy Vonka
Sheffield, UK