Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GSM Cingular in Alabama is 850?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
July 26, 2005 8:22:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I have Nokia 6230 phone that supposedly works in Tri mode GSM/GPRS/EDGE
850/1800/1900

I think the Cingular towers here are 850. Anyone know? How to find out?
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 5:17:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Nice Phone.

Cingular has both 1900 and 850.

Depending on your location, will pin-point if your using 1900 or 850.

Central and North Alabama Cities are on 1900, while rural areas use 850.

But, you have access to both.

I hope this helps.

Max Brooks
World Wide Wireless
www.Wireless-Satellite.net
July 29, 2005 3:03:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Thanks, Unicel says the tower connects to either one, which seems strange.
I would think one would be preferred.
"wireless-satellite" <info@wireless-satellite.net> wrote in message
news:952e966010c7de9065e32360a3bb67ed@localhost.talkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
> Nice Phone.
>
> Cingular has both 1900 and 850.
>
> Depending on your location, will pin-point if your using 1900 or 850.
>
> Central and North Alabama Cities are on 1900, while rural areas use 850.
>
> But, you have access to both.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Max Brooks
> World Wide Wireless
> www.Wireless-Satellite.net
>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 3:05:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Cingular coverage in Alabama has changed in the last few weeks, looks like
TDMA coverage is less, some places that were strong TDMA are AMPS only now.
This has been a big change in battery life. No big changes in GSM coverage.
This is using an outside antenna and GATI phone (GSM 850/1900 Mhz, TDMA
800/1900 Mhz, AMPS 800 Mhz). My thinking is Cingular is converting the
TDMA/AMPS customers to GSM by reducing TDMA coverage, guess selling just gsm
phones was not working and improving GSM coverage is expensive.

This map is not even close to a coverage map:
http://onlinestoree.cingular.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv...

This map shows the coverage hole in cullman but is not close as a coverage
map anywhere else:
http://onlinestoree.cingular.com/html/Maps/payasyougo.p...

Birmingham 850 some 1900 (old at&t)

Blont county north spoty Cingular coverage on 850 Mhz mostly Corr wireless
(gsm cingular roaming) and Verizon (cdma not gsm)
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorContr...

T-mobile is on most of the interstates and large cities 1900 Mhz gsm, they
have a island of coverage in Curry north of Jasper.
http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/Default.asp

Southern Linc (iden not gsm) has good coverage over most of Alabama
https://onlinestore.southernlinc.com/storefront/zipcode...


Do you have a list of where in Alabama you would like to use your phone ?
If you want GSM only then t-mobile has the best coverage. If you want
Cingular find a GATI phone or use a prepaid CDMA/AMPS Tracfone (verizon
service) to fill the coverage holes.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 6:30:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <LpiGe.10181$8g5.3439@bignews4.bellsouth.net> on Thu, 28 Jul 2005 23:05:36
-0500, "Stanley Reynolds" <nospam_stanley_reynolds@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Cingular coverage in Alabama has changed in the last few weeks, looks like
>TDMA coverage is less, some places that were strong TDMA are AMPS only now.
>This has been a big change in battery life. No big changes in GSM coverage.
>This is using an outside antenna and GATI phone (GSM 850/1900 Mhz, TDMA
>800/1900 Mhz, AMPS 800 Mhz). My thinking is Cingular is converting the
>TDMA/AMPS customers to GSM by reducing TDMA coverage, guess selling just gsm
>phones was not working and improving GSM coverage is expensive.

Other way around: Selling GSM-only phones *is* working, and network capacity
is being shifted from TDMA to GSM to reflect the changing subscriber base.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 6:30:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

> Other way around: Selling GSM-only phones *is* working, and network
capacity
> is being shifted from TDMA to GSM to reflect the changing subscriber base.
>
Customers maybe moving to GSM but their phones are not working as the GSM
coverage is not what TDMA coverage was. For Alabama we don't have network
capacity problems what we have is a migration to CDMA and iden from poor GSM
coverage. Fact is I can not recall a network busy here. I know the new
Cingular needs to reduce overlap between Blue and Orange networks and
convert to GSM but they need to speed up the process. Strike one was
discontiune GATI phones/plans before GSM network was in place, strike two
was to buy AT&T wireless and try to combine networks. Hope the large markets
where Cingular needed capacity are in better shape than here, where we
needed more digital coverage and got less. So far we don't have a increase
in GSM but do have a decrease in TDMA. It appears the strong 800Mhz Cingular
network is going away and the weak AT&TW 1900 Mhz is the new replacment.
AT&TW was ahead on conversion to GSM by at least a year. I know each
location is different as I travel a lot and have over 10 active cell phones
to compare providers with. Oh the one problem with the more bars all over
sales pitch is Cingular renting the billboard with the bars sticking out the
top next to a verizon cell antenna on the same billboard.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 2:10:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

> Cingular needs to reduce overlap between Blue and Orange networks and
> convert to GSM but they need to speed up the process. Strike one was
> discontiune GATI phones/plans before GSM network was in place, strike two
> was to buy AT&T wireless and try to combine networks.

Guess they know they have a problem:

"Cingular Wireless Investing More Than $125 Million in Alabama/Northwest
Florida Network This Year"

http://cingular.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=press_release...

The improvements are not much but then $125,000,000 doesn't go a long way
guess 56 new sites is good, or $2,232,142 per site. I'am sure that is high
as all the money is not spent on new sites.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 5:42:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <DrBIe.13615$BA5.10727@bignews6.bellsouth.net> on Thu, 4 Aug 2005 22:10:15
-0500, "Stanley Reynolds" <nospam_stanley_reynolds@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Cingular needs to reduce overlap between Blue and Orange networks and
>> convert to GSM but they need to speed up the process. Strike one was
>> discontiune GATI phones/plans before GSM network was in place, strike two
>> was to buy AT&T wireless and try to combine networks.
>
>Guess they know they have a problem:
>
>"Cingular Wireless Investing More Than $125 Million in Alabama/Northwest
>Florida Network This Year"

Not necessarily a problem -- Cingular is investing nationwide.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 5:42:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

> >"Cingular Wireless Investing More Than $125 Million in Alabama/Northwest
> >Florida Network This Year"
>
> Not necessarily a problem -- Cingular is investing nationwide.

I hope they do well, as a customer I would like better coverage. Notice Ca
got 1,000,000,000 but ya'all have more people and land to cover. The
generators for the Gulf are a good idea just hope they have the people to
keep them going next hurricane.
!