Sign in with
Your question

Really annoying issue with sound - cannot get speakers working, HELP:(

Last response: in Systems
April 27, 2012 1:46:28 PM

Hi, sorry that this is my second post about this but I am having an absolute nightmare with getting sound to work on my new build.

Ill start from the start.

Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V LX Intel Z68
Graphics: 6850
i5 2500k
600W PSU

The main problem is that I cannot get sound to play through my speakers.

I bought cheap speakers for my new build as I don't really care about sound quality and they do not work on every single USB port on the PC. When I plug the speakers in they turn on and you can hear static through them ( like if you get a phone call beside them for example)

The speakers are definitely on as a they are lit up blue but windows does not recognise that they are on i.e. nothing comes up, downloading new drivers.

I have tried these speakers on my other PC and they work fine and I have tried different speakers on the computer with the issue and they do not work.

All my drivers are defiantly updated fine and the speakers do not require drivers as I read from the manufactures website, they should just plug in and work. I have tried uninstall and then installing, still no fix.

That is a picture of what it looks like in control panel > sound. This is with the speakers plugged in. As you can see they are not recognised.

It must have something to do with my graphics card. In that pic there is sound playing through AMD HDMI output, that is a youtube video playing in the background. There is defiantly audio playing through HDMI output. Im assuming this is my monitor, I cant hear anything as my monitor has no sound. How can I get my computer to forget about this HDMI output and play through speakers.

All help is greatly appreciated, I hope someone can get a fix for this problem!

Thanks

More about : annoying issue sound speakers working

April 27, 2012 2:04:38 PM

2581728,1,1148032 said:
Hi, sorry that this is my second post about this but I am having an absolute nightmare with getting sound to work on my new build.

Ill start from the start.

Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V LX Intel Z68
Graphics: 6850
i5 2500k
600W PSU

Hi
Set your speakers as main in configuration panel and set your onboard sound as enabled instead of automatic.
April 27, 2012 2:10:04 PM

Also make sure they are in the right hole. You should have 6 holes of different colors in the back. Open your Sound Manager (I think its called...the icon should be on your task bar towards the right), and when the picture of the 6 holes shows up, you can click on each hole and set it for what you want to do. So if you plugged it in the green hole, click on the green hole and choose speakers.
Related resources
April 27, 2012 2:21:21 PM

Quote:
Hi
Set your speakers as main in configuration panel and set your onboard sound as enabled instead of automatic.

It wont let me do this. The speakers are grayed out I cannot selected them at all.

Quote:
Also make sure they are in the right hole. You should have 6 holes of different colors in the back. Open your Sound Manager (I think its called...the icon should be on your task bar towards the right), and when the picture of the 6 holes shows up, you can click on each hole and set it for what you want to do. So if you plugged it in the green hole, click on the green hole and choose speakers.

They are defiantly in the right hole when I plug them in to the green hole, which is the correct one they make a sort of static sound but windows will not recognise them !!1
April 27, 2012 2:21:31 PM

in you r picture you have the HDMI as the defualt audio device. That means the sound is going to the monitor. You want the sound to go to the speakers. So right click on the realteck device and set it as default.
April 27, 2012 2:28:03 PM

Quote:
in you r picture you have the HDMI as the defualt audio device. That means the sound is going to the monitor. You want the sound to go to the speakers. So right click on the realteck device and set it as default.

I cant do that though, take a look at this picture

When I go to set my speakers as default, it's grayed out and will not let me select it.

It's saying speakers are not plugged in which they are..
April 27, 2012 2:34:57 PM

Just because they are making static it doesn't mean they are in the right hole. I had the exact same problem. 2 or 3 of the holes made static. When I went and told it which hole was what, mine worked.

Also make sure your master volume is turned up. There are two different icons with speaker pictrures on them. One is like a control board for sound with sliders, the other has several tabs and you want the tab that shows pictures of the holes.
April 27, 2012 2:40:10 PM

In last picture , you can select properties and set it to default device
April 27, 2012 2:42:09 PM

Quote:
Just because they are making static it doesn't mean they are in the right hole. I had the exact same problem. 2 or 3 of the holes made static. When I went and told it which hole was what, mine worked.

where can I find the sound manager I cant seem to find it when I am searching.? I have tried every hole in the back and not one of them work anyway.

Quote:
Also make sure your master volume is turned up. There are two different icons with speaker pictrures on them. One is like a control board for sound with sliders, the other has several tabs and you want the tab that shows pictures of the holes.

The master volume is defiantly turned up
April 27, 2012 2:59:42 PM

don't forget to change onboard sound to enabled in your bios instead of auto
April 27, 2012 3:18:30 PM

I just tried that in the BIOS same result, cannot get speakers working.
April 27, 2012 3:26:00 PM

Is there really no fix for this? It seems as if I have tried everything. It seems such a simple issue that wont fix.... What other ways can I get my PC to emit audio, without using headphones? EDIT: its also worth noting that headphones will not work on any port on the computer either..
April 27, 2012 4:56:25 PM

Ok I have managed to get this far now by installing a driver again. It seems to think that there is speakers plugged in but there is still no sound from them??? can anyone help?

May 1, 2012 3:37:04 PM

I have the exact same problem... Very frustrating.

Does anyone know the solution??
May 1, 2012 3:37:23 PM

I have the exact same problem... Very frustrating.

Does anyone know the solution??
May 2, 2012 9:09:50 PM

Sorry for the late reply. I seem to have fixed my issue by just buying a very cheap sound card (£15) I just installed my sound card and plugged the speakers in there.

It must have been an issue with the green input in the back on the motherboard. I still have no idea what went wrong with it.
July 7, 2012 1:52:51 AM

I've been having the same issue since I updated the BIOS on the P8Z68-V LX
!