Sign in with
Your question

Small case, 80mm fan and oldish (hot) parts. Bad idea?

Last response: in Systems
April 27, 2012 2:30:07 PM

I bought a budget case off the internet for £15 and it's a bit smaller than I anticipated.

I have been using the following parts for around 3 years, and I intent to move them into the new case. From sizing up the components, I believe they will just about fit.

intel q6600 stock cooler
ati radeon 4850 HD
4GB RAM (each stick has a small heat sink)
Gigabyte p35-ds3l motherboard

The case also didn't come with a case fan (that part slipped my mind). However, I have an old 80mm case fan that I can use (it's probably 2-3 years old but hasn't been used a lot). It also uses a molex connector instead of the traditional connector (if that matters).

I usually run this hardware in a larger case with a 120mm fan. The temperatures do get quite high, mainly due to the large amount of dust that builds up. After a good clean, the parts still run a bit on the warm side.

Considering I will not need to use the machine for gaming (but hd videos + general web use), is this a terrible idea? I could always return the case and get a new one.

a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 3:48:30 PM

I think it will work fine... setup and check the temps as you test it.
Do you have room to add another fan, so you have one as an intake and one as an exhaust?
m
l
April 27, 2012 4:25:10 PM

No there is no room for another fan unfortunately. I think I will just try it out as you say. It looks like I could fit a 92mm fan in there, perhaps that would help if I bought a fairly good one
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 4:44:13 PM

Sorry, I think if you're using a bigger case and a larger cooling fan and it's running on the warm side or hot that switching to a smaller case with less air movement and a smaller fan is not going to help with cooling. As bucknutty says, with a second cooling fan it might help some but I don't believe it's going to make a difference without some room in the case for air flow. What case did you get?
m
l
April 27, 2012 4:44:43 PM

courtney4 said:
I bought a budget case off the internet for £15 and it's a bit smaller than I anticipated.

I have been using the following parts for around 3 years, and I intent to move them into the new case. From sizing up the components, I believe they will just about fit.

intel q6600 stock cooler
ati radeon 4850 HD
4GB RAM (each stick has a small heat sink)
Gigabyte p35-ds3l motherboard

The case also didn't come with a case fan (that part slipped my mind). However, I have an old 80mm case fan that I can use (it's probably 2-3 years old but hasn't been used a lot). It also uses a molex connector instead of the traditional connector (if that matters).

I usually run this hardware in a larger case with a 120mm fan. The temperatures do get quite high, mainly due to the large amount of dust that builds up. After a good clean, the parts still run a bit on the warm side.

Considering I will not need to use the machine for gaming (but hd videos + general web use), is this a terrible idea? I could always return the case and get a new one.

I use to have a mid tower with crossfire 4850's 4 gigs ddr2 ram and 3 hard drives with a amd b50 quad core cpu with a after market cooler. You should be fine. And the case had 1 side 80mm fan a rear 120mm fan and a top 80mm fan.
m
l
April 27, 2012 4:53:36 PM

suteck said:
Sorry, I think if you're using a bigger case and a larger cooling fan and it's running on the warm side or hot that switching to a smaller case with less air movement and a smaller fan is not going to help with cooling. As bucknutty says, with a second cooling fan it might help some but I don't believe it's going to make a difference without some room in the case for air flow. What case did you get?

The case I purchased was this one here (http://www.dabs.com/products/best-value-oem-717-midi-to...).

As far as I'm aware I'm limited to one fan. I've just done a test between my 120mm fan and 80mm. I'm not sure if this is to be expected, but in terms of power the smaller fan was a lot stronger. Quite noticably so if I placed the fan towards my face.
m
l
April 27, 2012 4:58:14 PM

courtney4 said:
The case I purchased was this one here (http://www.dabs.com/products/best-value-oem-717-midi-to...).

As far as I'm aware I'm limited to one fan. I've just done a test between my 120mm fan and 80mm. I'm not sure if this is to be expected, but in terms of power the smaller fan was a lot stronger. Quite noticably so if I placed the fan towards my face.

It does seem like it does. Do to its pushing air through a smaller area. Trust me a 120 should push more air in a larger area then a small fan.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2012 5:28:31 PM

^ Sorry but that's not the way it works. The rpm's of the fans and the number and pitch of the blades will make a difference in the volume of air being moved by a fan.

It looks like your case has a side vent for a fan. Can you measure the distance between the holes? That should give you an idea of the fan size you can put in there. It does kinda look like your 80mm fan will fit there. Do those holes line up? If so then you can put the 80 mm fan on the side blowing directly on the cpu cooler and the new 120mm fan on the back blowing air out. Do you have brand names and model numbers for the fans? Usually just the model or serial number will be enough to look up the cfm's that your fans can push. If the 120mm only move 50 or 60 cfm's then you can always get a higher rated fan for the back to help move the air through the case. Like this Scythe SY1225SL12SH 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan for $11 from newegg will move 110 cfm's. that will help keep the case cool. Also, the cable management/placement helps if you can keep them out of the way to give room for the air to move through unobstructed, or less obstructed anyway. And don't forget to take into account that the more air the fans can move the louder they are so check for dBa's if you decide to look into other fans.
m
l
!