Selecting a PSU - Please help!

mwiz79

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Hi,

I am building a machine based on AMD X2 939 3800+ and I have the following parts:
1) AMD X2 939 3800+
2) Asus A8N-E Mobo
3) PNY 6600 Graphics card PCI-Express
4) Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Sound card
5) Corsair PC 400 DDR RAM

I am yet to buy a power supply and am not sure which one to go for (as in the wattage/type/Brand). Is there a separate power connector needed (last machine I assembled was a PIV which needed a separate 4 pin connector for the CPU). Are there any such pecularities with the AMD CPU as well that I need to take care of while buying a power supply.

Shall be grateful I somebody can help me with this.

TIA,
M

PS: While installing stock HSF do I need additional thermal paste?

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Hmm... well before I answer this let me ask you something. Have you thought about socket AM2? It's got slightly better performance and has a great upgrade path. Now I don't know if you plan on upgrading but I"m just throwing that out there. Anyways...

For that I'd probably say.... around 500 to keep the heat low... but as for brands it comes down to this: do you want modular or not? If you want modular look around at Enermax... if you don't I'd recommend something by PC Power and Cooling if you have the budget. If not I'd probably say a decent seasonic or an Antec PSU... who knows... you'll probably do good at around 450 or maybe even just 400 watts depending on how you use your comp.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006

The HS/F doesn't come with thermal paste pre-applied, and you shouldn't put more than a pea-sized dab. Better yet, use Arctic Silver, as it will keep the CPU cooler than what comes with it.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006

The HS/F doesn't come with thermal paste pre-applied, and you shouldn't put more than a pea-sized dab. Better yet, use Arctic Silver, as it will keep the CPU cooler than what comes with it.

Errr retail CPU's ship with thermal paste/thermal pads.

But I think this is what you meant to say :)

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006

Wonder what happened to Pengwin... He is normally right on threads about power supplies. He's not (gasp) studying is he?