Problem with Power Settings in Windows XP Pro SP2

Problem with Power Settings in Windows XP Pro SP2

I have a problem with power settings in Windows XP Pro SP2, to which I have
not been able to find a convenient workaround. We have in our company many
portable computers and users, who want to be able to show presentations etc
outside the office with the help of different presentation equipment. To do
that in a practical way it is necessary, among other things, to be able to
change the power settings of the computer. It is at that point my problem
starts since the user is not allowed to do that without changing his
credentials to for instance those of a "Power User".

I have, with great success, used a tip supplied by Microsoft (se below) in a
scheduled BAT-file (see below) which is running in an administrative context
to fix this problem (normal users can now access and change power settings)
on the computers of our company.

------- Part of BAT-file
REM see MS technet
ms-help://MS.TechNet.2004AUG.1033/server03techref/regini_remarks.htm
regini scriptfile.txt
------- End of BAT-file

The content of scriptfile.txt is only:
"\Registry\Machine\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Controls
Folder\PowerCfg" [1 5 9 13 17]

This works fine for most of our portables, but not for the latest
generation, HP NC8000. I am completely at a loss and do not really now what
to do apart from promoting the users to power users, which I don't really
want to do!

I have also tried the RUNAS-command in connection with powercfg.cpl but that
does not really help since Microsoft seems to store current power setting in
the machine part of the registry and the power schemes with the user
profiles. That means that I can change the power settings with RUNAS (with
admin-rights) but the result is that the user's power scheme is corrupted,
that is the name of the scheme is the same but the content of the scheme has
changed.

Any help with this would be most appreciated!

Stefan Hammar

Stefan Hammar Wrote:
> Problem with Power Settings in Windows XP Pro SP2
>
> I have a problem with power settings in Windows XP Pro SP2, to which I
> have
> not been able to find a convenient workaround. We have in our company
> many
> portable computers and users, who want to be able to show presentations
> etc
> outside the office with the help of different presentation equipment.
> To do
> that in a practical way it is necessary, among other things, to be able
> change the power settings of the computer. It is at that point my
> problem
> starts since the user is not allowed to do that without changing his
> credentials to for instance those of a "Power User".
>
> I have, with great success, used a tip supplied by Microsoft (se below)
> in a
> scheduled BAT-file (see below) which is running in an administrative
> context
> to fix this problem (normal users can now access and change power
> settings)
> on the computers of our company.
>
> ------- Part of BAT-file
> REM see MS technet
> ms-help://MS.TechNet.2004AUG.1033/server03techref/regini_remarks.htm
> regini scriptfile.txt
> ------- End of BAT-file
>
> The content of scriptfile.txt is only:
> "\Registry\Machine\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Controls
> Folder\PowerCfg" [1 5 9 13 17]
>
> This works fine for most of our portables, but not for the latest
> generation, HP NC8000. I am completely at a loss and do not really now
> what
> to do apart from promoting the users to power users, which I don't
> really
> want to do!
>
> I have also tried the RUNAS-command in connection with powercfg.cpl but
> that
> does not really help since Microsoft seems to store current power
> setting in
> the machine part of the registry and the power schemes with the user
> profiles. That means that I can change the power settings with RUNAS
> (with
> admin-rights) but the result is that the user's power scheme is
> corrupted,
> that is the name of the scheme is the same but the content of the
> scheme has
> changed.
>
> Any help with this would be most appreciated!
>
> Stefan Hammar

Stefan,
I too have been having the same problem, and a brief surf I located
this helpfull Web site, full of resourceful info - Hope this page
helps...
http://www.theeldergeek.com/power_schemes.htm
P33jay

--