Video card upgrade question

lonehunter23

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
I'm looking to upgrade my brother's video card on his computer, the only problem is I'm not entirely sure what the computer has for available PCI slots. It's still under warrenty so I can't open it without voiding it.

The computer is a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113108

I see it says it says (1/1) PCI-E x16 (0/1) PCI-E x1 (2/2) PCI, but I'm not 100% as to what that actually means in terms what video card the computer can support.

The computer is only 2 years old or so, so I'm assuming it can handle something decent, just looking for some guidance and or suggestions.

It's mainly used for gaming (Diablo 3, WoW, Starcraft 2, Star Wars: TOR)

If I bring the computer to BestBuy (where we bought it) they will install any hardware.

So how are you going to install a new video card if you can't open the computer??

Secondly your link doesn't work and you'll need to know what the power supply is before you can even consider a video card upgrade. It's likely you will need a new power supply and it's it's a Gateway, it's probably not even a standard size power supply.

I'm not going to make any suggestions. The low end card I was going to suggest is a HD6670, but even that is going to require more than a 300w power supply imo.

That's the price you pay when you get a pre-built, it's built as cheaply as possibly and isn't meant for upgrades.