Sign in with
Your question

New Mobo and Ram Old H-Drive cannot Format or re-install

Last response: in Systems
April 27, 2012 7:35:17 PM

I very recently replaced my Asus P5N32-E SLI board with an Asus P5G41T-M LX board. I also replaced my DDR2 800Mhz with DDR3 1333Mhz (Corsair xms3). I kept my Q6600 cpu as well as my H-drive. I replaced the heatsink as well with an Artic Freezer 7 Pro. My os is Vista 64 sp 2. I thought when everything was up and running I would go into Bios settings and boot my Vista 64 sp 1 disc from the sata dvd drive, formatt my h-drive and re-install Vista.

When I powered up the system for the first time I was very pleased with my efforts as everything came on from front panel power light to cpu fan, case fan and the fan on my GPU which is an Asus GTX 560. I entered Bios and everything was displayed and working, HOWEVER I set the boot priority to first try the DVD rom which I had loaded up with my Vista disc it didnt load or even try too, instead it offered to start in safe mode command prompt ect. I realise I should have formatted my H-drive prior to installing the new hardware. Please can anyone come up with a speedy solution to my problem. I have already backed up everything i want from my H-drive so wiping it clean is what I want to do. Thanks for reading.
April 27, 2012 7:48:03 PM

You goal is to boot from the OS disc via the opotical drive. That will let you format the HDD. Try a different data port on the MB. Set the BIOS to only boot off the optical drive. Make sure it is set right for the drive as well (AHCI vs SATA)
April 27, 2012 8:02:20 PM

While your PC is starting its POST you can press F8 to select a BOOT DEVICE. Also your DVD burner may be listed as CD/DVD Drive, or like mine it could be further down on the boot list and actually name the burner (An Asus in my case).

Fungi
April 27, 2012 9:54:54 PM

Thanks all, problem solved , my DVD drive had died, replaced with another and booted up Vista disc no problem.
!