Will an i3 2120 bottle neck a GTX570?

cakexxxx

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
As above, I would like to pair the MSI N570 Twin Frozr II with the I3 2120 that supports HT. Will any bottleneck be imposed here? I will be running games at Full HD, also my mobo will be a GA-Z68A-D3H. Major upgrade coming up early next year (planned as ASRock Z77 Pro Fatal1ty+i7 3770/and another 570 for SLI), this current setup is just to comply to my current budget.

You would think it simple but its very complicated.
Generally speaking it wont bottleneck the card. It will restrict it in some games and that will mostly be down to it not being a native quad core chip when playing games that can take advantage of the extra cores.
Obviously a faster CPU will get more FPS however the 2120 cant be over clocked the same as say a 2500K can which has the extra cores and can be over clocked to 4GHz.

This review should show the difference between games I mention http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/20

You will see sometimes its next to nothing other times its quite a bit. The review is using a card about 10% weaker than your 570 certainly close enough to draw a direct comparison.

Any more questions just ask

Mactronix :)

Mactronix summed it up pretty well. I will add for the sake of system longevity, you would be wise to save up for another paycheck or whatever, and at least get an i5-2400 or 3450 in there. Lest you be stuck in the boat where 6 months down the road you're tossing your $120 in the garbage that you paid for the i3 in order to put an i5 in.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010

You will be just fine with that setup my friend. There are no games out that you won't be able to easily run with good framerate and pretty graphics :) Looks like you are going to make it into a beast next year also, nice rig!

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
I like it too.
just stay outta BF3 multiplayer and you can manage just fine..

but yes, a quad core 2400 or better would be optimal..

Why would you say that?

The i3 2120 can run BF3 multiplayer with ease...1080p 64 player server, no problems. ESPECIALLY with a GTX 570.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
I already spoke it...what I said was truth. THE i3 2120 CAN RUN THE BF3 MULTIPLAYER WITH EASE.

Every rig has a sweet spot in BF3, all you have to do is play around with the settings a little bit. The game still looks gorgeous in 1080p even with low-med settings and lowered AA/AF. Hell the game even looks gorgeous on 720p. This dude is getting a 570, that card is an absolute beast, he will have no issues.

P.S. Hyper-threading is well-known to kill performance in BF3...

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Using data from a year old unoptimized beta? :lol: logic denied.

Get with the times and don't be so foolish. The i3-2120 can run BF3 Multiplayer with ease whether you want to believe it or not.

Keep trying to disprove it though, ignorance amuses me.

Hey were's a thought maybe the OP don't wan't to play stupid BF3 anyway :kaola:

Now I don't play the game but the way I see it is that you dont always have to have all the settings to ULTRA !! Big concept I know.
Also I don't know the truth of it and I certainly cant be bothered to find it again but I remember reading somewhere that BF3 is actually quite cute when it detects hyper threaded CPU's and reduces the load. less NPC's I think it was ?

Mactronix :)

You're wrong. Sit down and be quiet, lest I sick Missy on you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhu0KPGUevc

BF3 multiplayer is well known for its heavy CPU usasge. We have a fellow whos usually banned from the forums because hes not quite as nice as I am when smacktards don't know what they're talking about. But his GTX 480 SLi configuration and overclocked 2500K is nearly maxed out in Windows Task manager. If it does that to his system, what do you think is gonna happen with an i3 thats half the CPU a 2500K is?

At least Verbilizer posted something to back up his claim, all you have is harsh words and empty assurances.

That may be, but are there any NPCs to remove in multiplayer? I've played BF3 single player, its different from multiplayer, in that SP only runs 2 cores. The campaign is pretty lousy though, both in plot script and gameplay. BF3 isn't worth buying unless you're doing MP.

It should be fine yes. Its not the best setup, but it should work. Its the 64 man air maps that will really hurt you @ fully maxed out settings in 1080.

Oddly enough, I'm more into BattlefieldPlay4Free than BF3.. Mainly cus I'm better at it, I'm the terror of Dragon Valley in an APC.