Computer keeps freezing. Please help!

aday395

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Hi,

I have a ASUS X83VP-A1 and it freezes for 5s to 2min several times a day especially if I'm watching youtube, streaming music (google music, songza), or downloading a torrent while watching something on VLC player. While it's frozen, the sound will be like someone is talking in super slow-motion through a fan and occasionally a message that says "Display driver was unresponsive, but has recovered" will show up after it unfreezes.

I've updated the display driver several time, cleaned it out with a can of air, reformatted the disk, and replaced the hard drive all to no avail. Memtest ran fine, Prime just kept going and got super hot so I stopped it, and FurMark made the temp on gpu-z go over 100c so I stopped that as well.

Could someone please help me figure out what's going on?

Here are the specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53G on Intel PM45
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 w/ 1GB VRAM DDR3
4GB DDR2 800

I also had HWMonitor while it froze the last couple times, but don't know how to interpret this:
http://goo.gl/71q9v

EDIT: Also the cooling fan is always on but, it seems to kick into high gear at the same time it unfreezes as well. I thought temp might be the problem, but the HWMonitor report said the gpu max temp was 63c.

Solution
A fresh windows install should fix you up.
If your not comfortable with that, you can try using driversweeper to get rid of all your ati/amd/catalyst drivers and programs including CCC and then reboot and install the latest driver from amd.com
A fresh windows install should fix you up.
If your not comfortable with that, you can try using driversweeper to get rid of all your ati/amd/catalyst drivers and programs including CCC and then reboot and install the latest driver from amd.com

Solution

aday395

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, driversweeper/ reinstall of the amd driver didn't work so I'm going to have to try the windows reinstall.

I've tried both of these before though and they didn't work so if there are any other ideas I'd love to hear them :)!