Sign in with
Your question

Cannot seem to understand why this card is doing this.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 20, 2012 1:40:51 AM

I have a MX400 card that I want to give top a friend because his card died and he cannot use his computer. In testing this card to see if it still works I am left confused.

If I run Linux (OpensuSE 10.3) the card works fine without installing any drivers myself. But when I try to run the card in Windows XP I run into some problems.

When I boot the machine ( an old HP Pavilion a1110n) I see the BIOS splash screen and can enter the BIOS hinting that the card works. In the loading of windows I can see the Windows XP slash screen, but when Windows XP loads I get a black screen. I hear the default Windows XP load sound and can shutdown via keyboard, but the screen is black- and I do not mean no signal black, I am getting a signal from the card and the signal gives me a black screen.

I have even told the BIOS to use the onboard graphics (Intel 845g) and then installed the proper Nvidia drivers (Forceware 93.71) despite windows recognizing the card with no problem. Still I get perfect signal until the final loading of XP and then black screen.

So I guess my questions are;
Does this card work properly?
How can I get it to work in XP?

More about : understand card

February 20, 2012 3:27:40 AM

Just as an update I could get in using safe mode so the card works.
February 20, 2012 3:45:45 AM

try it in some other PC to be sure. or run some old linux distro (LIVE CD) like Linux DSL (~50mb), it works for me, with my geforce 2 mx400 64mb, in a intel celeron 1100Mhz and 256Mb ram @ 100mhz.

PS: or a puppy linux (~200mb, live cd too). just to see if you can boot the PC

Related resources
February 20, 2012 4:54:34 AM

Just did a fresh install of Windows XP SP3 with the card in and now it seems to work. Have not restarted yet.
February 20, 2012 5:12:20 AM

I guess the previous card's driver wasn't removed properly, so the system tried to use that first - and failed.
I think it failed after the logo, because that's when the driver is loaded, to be able to increase the screen resolution (the logo comes in at a low resolution).
February 20, 2012 5:22:49 AM

juan83 said:
try it in some other PC to be sure. or run some old linux distro (LIVE CD) like Linux DSL (~50mb), it works for me, with my geforce 2 mx400 64mb, in a intel celeron 1100Mhz and 256Mb ram @ 100mhz.

PS: or a puppy linux (~200mb, live cd too). just to see if you can boot the PC

Thanks for the reply.
The issue now is not whether the card works. It is why it will not work in XP.

But it is now working in XP, but before a restart.
February 20, 2012 5:30:38 AM

szaboaz said:
I guess the previous card's driver wasn't removed properly, so the system tried to use that first - and failed.
I think it failed after the logo, because that's when the driver is loaded, to be able to increase the screen resolution (the logo comes in at a low resolution).

The first failing was after a fresh install but without the card installed, running on the integrated 845g.

Just did a restart and it loaded fine. I am going to install forceware 93.71, recomended by Nvidias website.

A bigger question is that in the devise manager it says that the card is by Microsoft so maybe the drivers from Nvidia are the actual problem.

Does anyone know the DirectX version this card is suppose to run at? or OpenGL version?
February 20, 2012 5:41:10 AM

I see. I think it's going to be all right with the driver installed.
You can use GPU-Z to get detailed information of your card, including DirectX version:
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
February 20, 2012 6:28:43 AM

szaboaz said:
I see. I think it's going to be all right with the driver installed.
You can use GPU-Z to get detailed information of your card, including DirectX version:
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Good suggestion.

Forceware 56.73 DX7

Forceware 93.71 is DX9

I bet that was the problem.

Can I get 1440x900 on this driver?
February 20, 2012 6:34:59 AM

If I were you, I would install the latest driver, that has the card on it's "Products Supported" tab. Never mind the DirectX version, these are bundle drivers, with many cards supported.

Or are you saying, that you installed 93.71, and you still have problems?
!