blurry viewfinders?

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 26, 2005 2:40:44 PM

I just looked thru the optical viewfinders of about fifteen different 4-7 mp
digital point and shoot cameras from Canon, Nikon, Kodak, and sony. In
every case, the image was sharp and in focus at the near end of the zoom
range, and out of focus and blurry at the far end. None of these cameras
have diopter corrections. Just to be sure it wasn't my eye, I had another
person try the same cameras, with the same report.

Does anyone know if this blurriness is a given with this class of camera, or
if there exist any 5-6 mpixel cameras that don't manifest the blur. I
realize the optical finder is mostly for composition, but I find it
distracting when the image is that much out of focus, even tho the captured
image may be fine.

thanks

Mike

More about : blurry viewfinders

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 2:40:45 PM

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:40:44 -0400, "mike nelson" <mike_nelson@acm.org> wrote:

>I just looked thru the optical viewfinders of about fifteen different 4-7 mp
>digital point and shoot cameras from Canon, Nikon, Kodak, and sony. In
>every case, the image was sharp and in focus at the near end of the zoom
>range, and out of focus and blurry at the far end. None of these cameras
>have diopter corrections. Just to be sure it wasn't my eye, I had another
>person try the same cameras, with the same report.
>
>Does anyone know if this blurriness is a given with this class of camera, or
>if there exist any 5-6 mpixel cameras that don't manifest the blur. I
>realize the optical finder is mostly for composition, but I find it
>distracting when the image is that much out of focus, even tho the captured
>image may be fine.
>
>thanks
>
>Mike

No problem with my Sony W1, even though there is
no diopter ajustment, with my Panason Z15 the EVF
has a diopter adjustment, this makes for a superb
imaging viewfinder.
June 27, 2005 2:15:03 PM

"mike nelson" <mike_nelson@acm.org> a écrit dans le message de news:
42bebe4f$0$5706$9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.com...
>I just looked thru the optical viewfinders of about fifteen different 4-7
>mp digital point and shoot cameras from Canon, Nikon, Kodak, and sony. In
>every case, the image was sharp and in focus at the near end of the zoom
>range, and out of focus and blurry at the far end. None of these cameras
>have diopter corrections. Just to be sure it wasn't my eye, I had another
>person try the same cameras, with the same report.
>
> Does anyone know if this blurriness is a given with this class of camera,
> or if there exist any 5-6 mpixel cameras that don't manifest the blur. I
> realize the optical finder is mostly for composition, but I find it
> distracting when the image is that much out of focus, even tho the
> captured image may be fine.
>
> thanks
>
> Mike
>
> Obviously, you've not tested the Pentax *istDs. Give it a try, you will be
> amazed at the quality of the viewfinder. This was a determining factor in
> my choice of a DSLR
Jean.

June 27, 2005 3:29:36 PM

my question was only with regard to point and shoot cameras, not DSLRs which
do not have this problem...

"JD" <no.spam.jdon@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
> "mike nelson" <mike_nelson@acm.org> a écrit dans le message de news:
> 42bebe4f$0$5706$9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.com...
>>I just looked thru the optical viewfinders of about fifteen different 4-7
>>mp digital point and shoot cameras from Canon, Nikon, Kodak, and sony. In
>>every case, the image was sharp and in focus at the near end of the zoom
>>range, and out of focus and blurry at the far end. None of these cameras
>>have diopter corrections. Just to be sure it wasn't my eye, I had another
>>person try the same cameras, with the same report.
>>
>> Does anyone know if this blurriness is a given with this class of camera,
>> or if there exist any 5-6 mpixel cameras that don't manifest the blur. I
>> realize the optical finder is mostly for composition, but I find it
>> distracting when the image is that much out of focus, even tho the
>> captured image may be fine.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> Obviously, you've not tested the Pentax *istDs. Give it a try, you will
>> be amazed at the quality of the viewfinder. This was a determining factor
>> in my choice of a DSLR
> Jean.

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 10:29:30 PM

"mike nelson" <mike_nelson@acm.org> wrote in message
>I just looked thru the optical viewfinders of about fifteen different 4-7 mp digital
>point and shoot cameras from Canon, Nikon, Kodak, and sony. In every case, the image
>was sharp and in focus at the near end of the zoom range, and out of focus and blurry at
>the far end. None of these cameras have diopter corrections. Just to be sure it wasn't
>my eye, I had another person try the same cameras, with the same report.
>
> Does anyone know if this blurriness is a given with this class of camera, or if there
> exist any 5-6 mpixel cameras that don't manifest the blur. I realize the optical finder
> is mostly for composition, but I find it distracting when the image is that much out of
> focus, even tho the captured image may be fine.
>
> thanks
>
> Mike

My Pentax Optio 750Z is a 7 mp P&S that has a diopter adjustment
on the viewfinder.

One reason I bought it was that I wanted a useful viewfinder in a small
P&S camera because I didn't like using the LCD on the back or in
an EVF as much.

I'm happy with the camera - though you should read the professional
reviews to be sure you'll like what you get.

Alan
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 7:09:28 PM

mike nelson wrote:
> I just looked thru the optical viewfinders of about fifteen different 4-7 mp
> digital point and shoot cameras from Canon, Nikon, Kodak, and sony. In
> every case, the image was sharp and in focus at the near end of the zoom
> range, and out of focus and blurry at the far end. None of these cameras
> have diopter corrections. Just to be sure it wasn't my eye, I had another
> person try the same cameras, with the same report.
>
> Does anyone know if this blurriness is a given with this class of camera, or
> if there exist any 5-6 mpixel cameras that don't manifest the blur. I
> realize the optical finder is mostly for composition, but I find it
> distracting when the image is that much out of focus, even tho the captured
> image may be fine.
>
> thanks
>
> Mike

Hi,
What do you mean? My Oly and Panasonic has diopter adjustment.
Tony
!