Closed

Will an AMD 1005t at 3.6ghz bottleneck a 7970 or 670?

what the title says. I can probably overclock it up to 4ghz too since im cooling it with an h60 but i kind of want to keep it cooler unless its a must.

1055t phenom x6 is what the title should say
9 answers Last reply
More about will 1005t 6ghz bottleneck 7970
  1. Hi

I have a 1090t overclocked to 4013 mhz with crossfired 6950's unlocked and overclocked to 920 mhz

the cpu does not hold anything back in fact it works very very well.

i have run lots of benchmarks and they all show awsome results.

All games maxed at 1920 X 1080

BF3
    Skyrim
    Call of duty ops/mw2/Mw3
    Crysis 1/2
    Dragon age 1/2
    Fallout NV
    Need For Speed the run
    Rage
    The witcher 2
    star craft
    the list goes on but no prob
  2. Best answer selected by seven7hseal.
  3. Breaz said:
    Hi

I have a 1090t overclocked to 4013 mhz with crossfired 6950's unlocked and overclocked to 920 mhz

the cpu does not hold anything back in fact it works very very well.

i have run lots of benchmarks and they all show awsome results.

All games maxed at 1920 X 1080

BF3
    Skyrim
    Call of duty ops/mw2/Mw3
    Crysis 1/2
    Dragon age 1/2
    Fallout NV
    Need For Speed the run
    Rage
    The witcher 2
    star craft
    the list goes on but no prob

ill bet a lot to say that you have a bottleneck in skyrim. actually i will go so far to say that you do. theres no way that you dont. i loose fps in skyrim going from 4.0 ghz to 3.5 ghz with an i7 with a single 6950 and your going to say that with 2 6950's that you dont have a bottleneck with an inferior cpu? just because you dont notice a bottleneck doesnt mean there isnt one. Try again.

BigMack70 said:
    The short answer to your question is no, an overclocked 1055T is not going to bottleneck the 7970.

the long answer is yes especially in games like skyrim and to a lesser extent BF3. To anyone that wants to say BF3 isnt cpu bound i ask you to show me a MP bench.

OP the 1055t will not give you the best fps in most games but the difference between the 1055t and a sandybridge is maybe 5-10 on average with a high end gpu like those.
  4. If you compare the performance gained by Intel's i3's, i5's and i7's then I'm afraid to say that it will bottleneck the cards.
  5. cbrunnem said:
    ill bet a lot to say that you have a bottleneck in skyrim. actually i will go so far to say that you do. theres no way that you dont. i loose fps in skyrim going from 4.0 ghz to 3.5 ghz with an i7 with a single 6950 and your going to say that with 2 6950's that you dont have a bottleneck with an inferior cpu? just because you dont notice a bottleneck doesnt mean there isnt one. Try again.

the long answer is yes especially in games like skyrim and to a lesser extent BF3. To anyone that wants to say BF3 isnt cpu bound i ask you to show me a MP bench.

OP the 1055t will not give you the best fps in most games but the difference between the 1055t and a sandybridge is maybe 5-10 on average with a high end gpu like those.

You beat me to it. 1+
  6. BigMack70 said:
    I play Skyrim a lot currently. I play at 1080p with all settings ultra, 4xAA, all STEP 2.0 mods installed (including r5 Skyboost), some ultra+ ini config options (e.g., 8192 shadow res), ugridstoload=7... I get a rock solid 60fps 90% of the time, and the minimum framerate that I have seen is 40 at one specific point in Markarth. Typical gameplay minimum frames are ~50

So yeah... I don't think that counts as my CPU (which is basically equivalent to an OC'd 1055T) "bottlenecking" anything. The game is optimized like crap, but if you use the 1.4 patch + skyboost you can fix a lot of the trash code that the game shipped with.

And it's also not true that Sandy Bridge guarantees you better frames in games than with the OC'd Phenom II x6. The vast majority of games are GPU bound (for example, Crysis 2) and will perform exactly the same regardless of which of those two CPUs you use, perhaps with a slight difference in minimum framerate. The only time the card is truly bottlenecked is in RTS games, which don't need much GPU power anyways and which will chew through as much CPU power as they can get.

The long answer to the question is not "yes" but rather "there are some particular gaming workloads which will make your CPU struggle, regardless of your GPU". It's not a true hardware bottleneck (which would instead mean that the CPU is just not fast enough to feed information to the card to get it to run at ~100% of it's capacity - this is not the case).

i get those exact frame rates with one 6950... face it your cpu bottlenecks.

i would agree with the rest of your statement if we were talking about 1 gpu but we arent we are talking about a gpu thats as powerfull as maybe 1.5 current gpus which will bottleneck in more cpu hundgry games. bf3 and skyrim and gta4 games like that. but not as much in gpu bound games. but even in gpu bound games when you have a really strong gpu you start to put even more pressure on the cpu.
  7. Everything ultra except x4 and x8 filters but that doesnt matter cause if i drop my overclock below 4.0 i start loosing frame rates with 1 6950. that would only mean that with two 6950s it would take an even higher overclock.
  8. BigMack70 said:
    ... comparing ultra to what I have setup is an irrelevant comparison... the mods + ini tweaks make the game much more demanding on the GPU

And, we're still not technically talking about a true hardware bottleneck (see above posts).

I run between eight to ten mods including high res textures. Bht i challenge you this, lower your overclock and see how fast you fps drop. They will drop im telling that. They will increase if you raise the overclock too. This is a hardware bottleneck.
  9. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Overclocking Cooling Bottleneck AMD Graphics