Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

$2000 Gaming Only PC

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 27, 2012 10:16:26 PM

First Build

Approximate Purchase Date: May-June

Budget Range: $1700 up to $2300 if "worth it"

System Usage: Almost Exclusively Gaming; Some photo workflow and editing; No music or video storage or editing

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon.com (no tax and free shipping) or newegg.com

Don't Need: Monitor (I'm going to try and use an adaptor to use my 27" iMac until someone releases a better than 1080p 24"er without anti-glare), Windows 7

Country:USA

Parts Preferences: Intel, Nvidia, mid-tower

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Possibly in future

Monitor Resolution: One 2560 x 1440for now - maybe multidisplay at some point but not soon

Additional Comments: I want a very quiet, small footprint, gaming only escape from reality machine. I don't need a lot of hard drive space. I'm leaning towards Ivy Bridge over SB-E because I don't think I will ned to upgrade to IB-E in the future just for gaming and I would like low power/heat/noise right now. Perhaps you can convince me otherwise.


Initial Build:

CPU: Intel i7-3770K - $317

MOBO: ASUS Deluxe Intel Z77 ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1155 Motherboard P8Z77-V DELUXE - $269
http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Intel-Motherboard-P8Z77-V-...
Supposedly has better audio than Sabertooth or Pro
or
Intel BOXDZ77GA70K LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - $229
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This site seems to like it: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dz77ga-70k-ivy-brid...

Perhaps these are overboard for someone who is new to building and won't be overclocking a lot, if at all, but I want something very reliable, with good internal sound, and easy to work with.

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue 8 GB (2X4 GB) PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit - $44
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-PC3-12800-1600m...

Should I consider Mushkin or G-Skills? Do I need low profile? Should I opt for 16GB at $96?

Graphics Card: Some sort of GTX 680 - $500
I'm willing to wait until I can actually find one for that price. Are any makers better than others? I don't think I need a super-overclocked one or anything.

Power Supply: Corsair HX Professional Series 850-Watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - $161
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Professional-850-Watt-Cer...
I know 850 is probably overkill from other threads but I may add another 680 in the future. Is 850 still overkill? Do I need the professional series?

Heat Sink: I'm not really sure what I need here. I don't plan on pushing the limits of the 3770. I do want whatever it is to be very quiet, so maybe liquid - perhaps something like the Corsair Hydro Series H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CWCH80) - $84
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Series-Performance-Liquid...
Thoughts?

SSD: Crucial 256 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT256M4SSD2 - $261
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-CT12...
or
Samsung 830 - Series MZ-7PC256D/AM 256 GB 2.5 Inch SATA III MLC Internal SSD - $329
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-830-MZ-7PC256D-Internal-D...

HDD: None. I use my iMac and Macbook Pro for A/V shenanigans. I may add an HDD later if I switch from Aperture to Lightroom for my photo workflow.

Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D Aluminum Mid Tower ATX Enthusiast Computer Case - Black CC650DW-1 - $162
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Obsidian-Aluminum-Enthusi...
or
NZXT Phantom 410 Mid Tower USB 3.0 Gaming Case - Black - $98.39
http://www.amazon.com/NZXT-Phantom-Tower-Gaming-Case/dp...
or
Corsair Carbide Series 500R Mid Tower Gaming Case CC-9011012-WW - $116
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carbide-Series-Gaming-CC-...
or
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $99
http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Nine-Hundred-Black-Computer...

Optical Drive: Samsung Blu-Ray Combo Internal 12XReadable and DVD-Writable Drive with Lightscribe SH-B123L/BSBP - $63
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-12XReadable-DVD-Writable-...
May watch a Blu-ray every now and then.

Monitor Adaptor: ATLONA AT-DP400 Dual Link DVI to Mini DisplayPort Converter - $68
http://www.amazon.com/ATLONA-AT-DP400-Dual-DisplayPort-...

Other:
If I get a Mobo that doesn't have great built-in sound, perhaps I should look at separate sound card.

Total Price: $1762 - $1986
That should leave enough for a keyboard and mouse.

What do you think? Thanks!

More about : 2000 gaming

a b 4 Gaming
April 27, 2012 10:44:34 PM

Deluxe is probably overkill and I think the general concensus is even the best truly onboard sound is not as good as something like an x-fi (even a cheap one).

8GB RAM is fine (can't go wrong with 16 tho if you have money to burn) and the corsair low profile will ensure compatibility with any cpu cooler.

Power supply is overkill even with two 680s (750W should be safe) and modular is nice but not critical with todays case routing.

Not sure about the other two, but the corsair cases are not a small footprint. I have the 500r and it's a monster for being "mid tower" (I love it nonetheless). Small and quiet would be like a Fractal R3 since you're not doing crazy overclocks.

Stock fan in a case like the R3 would be fine if you don't plan to overclock. Closed loop water is low risk but standard air is no risk.

Either of the SSDs should be good but the samsung seems to get recommended more.

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 27, 2012 10:46:18 PM

Whoever told you that water cooling is quieter than air cooling is wrong. The best closed-loop wc system is beaten in noise and efficiency by the Noctua NH-D14.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 27, 2012 11:50:04 PM

@ J_E_D_70

Thanks for your response. It looks like this site will be testing under $230 mobos with ivy bridge soon. Maybe I'll wait to see what the results are.

As for cases, I guess I am more concerned with width than anything else. Something like 20 x 9 x 20 is fine so all but the Phantom should be small enough.
m
0
l
April 27, 2012 11:55:44 PM

Thanks azeem. I wondered whether liquid would be a good way for me to go. I'll take a look at the noctura though it looks like the only models i'm finding are made for lga 2011.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 27, 2012 11:58:05 PM

Both the Hyper 212 EVO and the Noctua NH-D14 can be installed on an LGA 2011 CPU.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 28, 2012 4:59:42 AM

Just for looks, I like the Corsair Vengeance C70 case too but they're either not out or sold out.
m
0
l
April 28, 2012 4:39:57 PM

azeem40 said:
Both the Hyper 212 EVO and the Noctua NH-D14 can be installed on an LGA 2011 CPU.


Yes, but can the Noctua NH-D14 be installed on an LGA 1155? The 3770 CPU I plan on using is an 1155 Ivy Bridge.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 28, 2012 6:45:25 PM

@ the OP. Seeing how you don't plan on doing any hard core over clocking yet want the option to run dual vid cards then check out this Asus board down below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $144.99 FREE SHIPPING
ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Another good board worth taking a look at...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $134.99
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z77%20Extre... <----- another look at that board

For a psu to run dual 680's in SLI...this one down below is manufactured by Seasonic for XFX like that Corsair psu you have up there. It's semi modular and Silver rated.

http://www.amazon.com/XFX-ATX-850-Power-Supply/dp/B0050... $122.75 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
XFX ATX 850 Power Supply - P1850SNLB9

For a case...it's the Corsair 500R hands down. There isn't a case in that class for that price that has near the size, features, and options as the Corsair 500R.

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carbide-Series-Gaming-CC-... $116.16 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Corsair Carbide Series 500R Mid Tower Gaming Case CC-9011012-WW

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005D0AE8K/ref=ox_sc_a... $229.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Mushkin Chronos 240 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive (MKNSSDCR240GB)

or....

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-HyperX-2-5-Inch-SH103S3-... $279.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Kingston HyperX 3K 240 GB SATA III 2.5-Inch 6.0 Gb/s Solid State Drive SH103S3/240G

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_link_6500672_29?ie=UTF8... <----- Sound cards

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-2... $34.95 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Profile-PC3-128... $54.03 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8 GB PC3-12800 1600mhz 240-Pin DDR3 Dual Channel Memory Kit SDRAM CML8GX3M2A1600C9
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 28, 2012 7:20:35 PM

radiomir said:
Yes, but can the Noctua NH-D14 be installed on an LGA 1155? The 3770 CPU I plan on using is an 1155 Ivy Bridge.

It sure can. I have seen many pictures of that CPU Cooler on an i5-2500k CPU.
m
0
l
May 1, 2012 3:33:05 PM

I plan on incorporating many of the suggestions, so thanks everybody. I am still leaning towards the Crucial M4 at that $260 price, but I like the XFX PSU, the mobo options, and the air-cooling suggestions. I have also all but decided on the 500r case. I do still have a few questions though.

I proposed getting a 3770K just because IB is probably the last to use the 1155 socket so the CPU I get now will likely be in my build for quite some time. Also, although the common wisdom is that a 3570 will be more than I need for gaming, I thought the 3770 would give me a boost in photo editing. What does everyone think?

Also, does XFX/Seasonic make a comparable 750W PSU that is quality but brings savings vs. a Corsair? Even if I SLI 2 680s down the road, do I really need 850W?

Next, where my computer will be located for the next few months, I will often be using Wifi (only using my long ethernet cable when I am playing multiplayer games). Is there any advantage to using a mobo with built in wifi vs. getting a usb wifi dongle? I imagine not, but just wanted to check.

Finally, any recommendations on sound cards?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 1, 2012 3:36:13 PM

radiomir said:
I plan on incorporating many of the suggestions, so thanks everybody. I am still leaning towards the Crucial M4 at that $260 price, but I like the XFX PSU, the mobo options, and the air-cooling suggestions. I have also all but decided on the 500r case. I do still have a few questions though.

I proposed getting a 3770K just because IB is probably the last to use the 1155 socket so the CPU I get now will likely be in my build for quite some time. Also, although the common wisdom is that a 3570 will be more than I need for gaming, I thought the 3770 would give me a boost in photo editing. What does everyone think?

Also, does XFX/Seasonic make a comparable 750W PSU that is quality but brings savings vs. a Corsair? Even if I SLI 2 680s down the road, do I really need 850W?

Next, where my computer will be located for the next few months, I will often be using Wifi (only using my long ethernet cable when I am playing multiplayer games). Is there any advantage to using a mobo with built in wifi vs. getting a usb wifi dongle? I imagine not, but just wanted to check.

Finally, any recommendations on sound cards?

Seasonic manufactures psu's for the entire XFX line up and the mid and upper tier Corsair psu's (TX/HX/AX). So whatever comes in at the best price between Seasonic, XFX, and those Corsair psu's I mentioned.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 1, 2012 5:14:32 PM

Guess it depends on the definition of photo editing but never had a problem even on an old 2.66 core 2 duo.

Thinking SLI 680s system with IB pulls maybe 550-600W at full load (help anyone?). 200w per gpu, 100w for IB, 50w for random components?

Found a down side to the 500r's size last night when I finally started to build. Corsair 750TX (non modular) 8-pin power cable only reached the top of the ASRock Extreme4 by coming in from the small, top left cutout. It had no grommet so I reinforced the cable with electrical tape (probably unnecessarily). Almost done!
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 10:30:24 PM

Why_Me said:
@ the OP. Seeing how you don't plan on doing any hard core over clocking yet want the option to run dual vid cards then check out this Asus board down below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $144.99 FREE SHIPPING
ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Another good board worth taking a look at...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $134.99
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard




The Asus ASUS P8Z77-V LE has a couple features I would pay $20 over the LK for, but it only has one PCIe 3.0 slot. Would this be a problem going forward if I ever add a second GTX 680? If so, I might consider the V. I was planning on getting a wifi card anyway and the Asus ASUS P8Z77-V has built in wifi.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 3, 2012 10:56:48 PM

radiomir said:
The Asus ASUS P8Z77-V LE has a couple features I would pay $20 over the LK for, but it only has one PCIe 3.0 slot. Would this be a problem going forward if I ever add a second GTX 680? If so, I might consider the V. I was planning on getting a wifi card anyway and the Asus ASUS P8Z77-V has built in wifi.

The LE isn't meant for dual vid cards. It doesn't support SLI, it runs dual cards @ x4.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $429.98 save: $20.00 FREE SHIPPING
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Smart Digi+, Wi-Fi GO! Fan Xpert2, USB BIOS Flashback PCI Express 3.0 x16: 2 (x16/0 or x8/x8)

m
0
l
May 3, 2012 11:45:59 PM

This build focuses more on stability and minimum noise.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Amazon)
You can opt to save $100 by going i5, but I just included an i7.
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU Cooler ($69.70 @ NCIX US)
This is the best air cooler you can get right now. Super-quiet and keeps your CPU very cool.
Motherboard: Intel DZ77GA70K ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($237.86 @ Newegg)
Intel motherboards are generally more stable, with Intel-approved things. Dual gigabit LAN, 2 PCI-E 3.0 x16, and that really cool skull thing :p . Also, 10-channel audio.
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($86.98 @ NCIX US)
This is pretty much the best RAM that actually fits under the Silver Arrow.
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($116.95 @ B&H)
The M4 is one of the most stable SSDs out there.
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
You still need to store things.
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($429.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($429.99 @ NCIX US)
Though the HD7970 has lower single card performance, Crossfire 7970s are better than SLI 680s. Reference cards are not bad at all, and this looks SEXEH.
Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Titanium Grey ATX Mid Tower Case ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
USB 3.0 case that is very, very quiet.
Power Supply: SeaSonic 860W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($187.00 @ Newegg)
Super-quiet PSU, 80+ Platinum and SeaSonic makes some of the best PSUs.
Optical Drive: LG WH12LS39 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($83.59 @ Mwave)
BluRay burner.
Total: $2197.03
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-05-03 19:41 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 4, 2012 12:23:53 AM

UVB076 said:
This build focuses more on stability and minimum noise.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Amazon)
You can opt to save $100 by going i5, but I just included an i7.
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU Cooler ($69.70 @ NCIX US)
This is the best air cooler you can get right now. Super-quiet and keeps your CPU very cool.
Motherboard: Intel DZ77GA70K ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($237.86 @ Newegg)
Intel motherboards are generally more stable, with Intel-approved things. Dual gigabit LAN, 2 PCI-E 3.0 x16, and that really cool skull thing :p . Also, 10-channel audio.
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($86.98 @ NCIX US)
This is pretty much the best RAM that actually fits under the Silver Arrow.
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($116.95 @ B&H)
The M4 is one of the most stable SSDs out there.
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
You still need to store things.
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($429.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($429.99 @ NCIX US)
Though the HD7970 has lower single card performance, Crossfire 7970s are better than SLI 680s. Reference cards are not bad at all, and this looks SEXEH.
Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Titanium Grey ATX Mid Tower Case ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
USB 3.0 case that is very, very quiet.
Power Supply: SeaSonic 860W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($187.00 @ Newegg)
Super-quiet PSU, 80+ Platinum and SeaSonic makes some of the best PSUs.
Optical Drive: LG WH12LS39 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($83.59 @ Mwave)
BluRay burner.
Total: $2197.03
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-05-03 19:41 EDT-0400)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $69.99
Cooler Master TPC 812 RR-T812-24PK-R1 120mm Sleeve with Dual Vertical Vapor Chamber TPC 812 CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

Add this fan down below to that CM cpu cooler up above for a "push - pull" effect to help bring cpu temps down even more.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-BladeMaster-Silent-... $11.06 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Cooler Master BladeMaster 120mm PWM High Air Flow Silent Case Fan R4-BMBS-20PK-R0

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=265... <----- that's a review on that h/s

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm <----- top 10 rated cpu heat sinks according to Frosty Tech
m
0
l
May 4, 2012 12:39:26 AM

Why_Me said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $69.99
Cooler Master TPC 812 RR-T812-24PK-R1 120mm Sleeve with Dual Vertical Vapor Chamber TPC 812 CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

Add this fan down below to that CM cpu cooler up above for a "push - pull" effect to help bring cpu temps down even more.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-BladeMaster-Silent-... $11.06 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Cooler Master BladeMaster 120mm PWM High Air Flow Silent Case Fan R4-BMBS-20PK-R0

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=265... <----- that's a review on that h/s

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm <----- top 10 rated cpu heat sinks according to Frosty Tech

I'm pretty damn sure the Silver Arrow is better. The Silver Arrow outperforms even the C14/D14 (I keep on forgetting which is which D:) .
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 4, 2012 1:09:31 AM

UVB076 said:
I'm pretty damn sure the Silver Arrow is better. The Silver Arrow outperforms even the C14/D14 (I keep on forgetting which is which D:) .

That Cooler Master I posted is new on the market...like it just came out.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=265... <------This test was done with a single fan, add that fan I posted up above for a "push - pull effect" and the temps on that heat sink go down even more. The Silver Arrow is on that list also.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 4, 2012 2:25:35 AM

I'd check anand's review of the R3 with stock fans before putting a pair of 7970s in there. It is *barely* quieter than a Carbide 500R but worse thermals.

If you don't mind huge, the Rosewill Thor V2 is impossible to beat for the price in both acoustics and cooling. I's have bought one but just didn't have the space.
m
0
l
May 4, 2012 4:43:11 PM

Ok, here is what I'm thinking now.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - for now. If I get into OCing, I'll get something better.
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8 GB PC3-12800 1600mhz
SSD: Samsung 830 256 GB
GPU: GTX 680 (it will be awhile before I get a second card so I'd prefer to go with the 680 over a 7970)
Case: Probably a Corsair 500R or 600T though my fiancee really likes the red NZXT Phantom 410 and that Rosewill Thor looks badass. I'm not worried about footprint anymore. I like the Fractal R3 a lot too so who knows.
PSU: XFX PRO850W XXX Edition Semi-Modular or a SeaSonic Platinum-860 if I buy by tomorrow (15% discount)
Optical Drive: LG WH12LS39 Blu-ray rewriter

$1730 with Thor v2 and SeaSonic Platinum 860
m
0
l
May 4, 2012 4:50:20 PM

Wow, price on Crucial M4 256 dropped to $200 on Amazon today, so.... I'll probably get that instead of the Samsung.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 4, 2012 5:27:36 PM

Sounds like a plan. Just make sure your CPU is the K model or you can't effectively overclock.

Don't need much more than the Evo for decent IB clocks. I was able to hit 4.4GHz (29.4% OC) stable right at 60C with default voltage. Power consumption and heat crank up rapidly too much above that without really elaborate cooling solutions.
m
0
l
May 4, 2012 7:47:22 PM

SeaSonic > XFX
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 4, 2012 7:50:48 PM

UVB076 said:
SeaSonic > XFX

????????????????/

Who do you think manufactures XFX psu's? Try SeasSonic. Seasonic manufactures all XFX psu's and the mid and upper tier line of Corsair psu's (AX/HX/TX)
m
0
l
May 4, 2012 7:52:10 PM

Why_Me said:
????????????????/

Who do you think manufactures XFX psu's? Try SeasSonic. Seasonic manufactures all XFX psu's and the mid and upper tier line of Corsair psu's (AX/HX/TX)

I'm talking about the specific PSUs. I have a XFX Core Edition Pro 750W PSU.
m
0
l
May 4, 2012 8:59:55 PM

Just thought i'd post the build I just completed that has very similar components to what you are looking at:

Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (black)
PSU: Corsair GS800, 800W Gaming PSU
CPU: i7 3770k
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (4x4)
GPU: Galaxy GTX 680
SSD: 120 GB Intel 520
Mech: 1 TB WD Caviar Blue
Optical: LG 12x Blur-Ray RW

+

Added:

Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Heatsink
2x BitFenix 140mm Case fans

Build was just over $2000.

Not sure how loud you are used to but this build is far quieter than my old Intel Duel core PC. I think it's mainly because of the Coolermaster 212 Evo instead of the stock fan. It's deadly silent.
m
0
l
May 4, 2012 9:16:15 PM

Get a Noctua or a Thermalright. Hyper 212 is for poor people.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 4, 2012 9:36:33 PM

"Get a Noctua or a Thermalright. Hyper 212 is for poor people."

Ouch. I guess mebbe now I can get food stamps!
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 4, 2012 10:30:50 PM

Quote:
Hi, thats a nice build overall, it will good for gaming for a long time, i suppose you are going to play @1080p
anyways... if i were you i will make a few parts:

Try this: Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (it has "tomshardware approved" award)

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... you cant go wrong with 16GB ;)  and this ram sticks are low profile, that ensures you that they will be compatible with ANY cpu cooler!

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... its a 950W silencer MKII (Really good brand) dual gtx 680 requieres 750w but more power is never bad, and its cheaper than your original psu and will be just as good (if not better) than the psu you originally choosed

CPU cooler: DONT GET a cloosed loop cpu cooler, they suck! get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (its REALLY quiet)

SSD: get the samsung 830 if you have the money

Case: out of all cases you choose the best one is the Corsair Obsidian 650D but if i were you i would get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... its ultra quiet

gpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (get this version, its super quiet, i have a gtx 460 with that same cooler and you can barely hear it)

well... i focused in choosing parts that will give you a ultra quiet pc, without sacrificing perfomance and giving you low temperatures.

Agreed on the motherboard and that 680, but that CM V8 was an over priced paperweight when it was first released some years back and it hasn't improved with time. And 16GB of RAM for a gaming build is crazy. 8GB of RAM for a gaming build is over kill, but it's so cheap atm that everyone is going for it. Also that psu is a good one, but the XFX 850w Silver rated and modular psu at amazon can be had for $120 atm.

And if you read the reviews on the 650D, it did bad in regards to thermal temps compared to less expensive cases like the Corsair 500R.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 4, 2012 11:49:13 PM

A few years? Try 5+. Most people replace their system in that time.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 5, 2012 12:20:50 AM


http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carbide-Series-Gaming-CC-... $114.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Corsair Carbide Series 500R Mid Tower Gaming Case CC-9011012-WW

http://www.corsair.com/pc-cases/carbide-series-pc-case/... <---- another look at that case

http://www.amazon.com/XFX-ATX-850-Power-Supply/dp/B0050... $122.75 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
XFX PRO850W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80 Plus Silver Certified 850 Watt Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $404.98
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX806237I53570K
ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z77%20Extre... <----- another look at that board

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WPHXIS/ref=ox_sc_a... $69.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Cooler Master TPC 812 RR-T812-24PK-R1 120mm Sleeve with Dual Vertical Vapor Chamber TPC 812 CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

Add this fan down below to that CM cpu cooler up above for a "push - pull" effect to help bring cpu temps down even more.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-BladeMaster-Silent-... $11.06 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Cooler Master BladeMaster 120mm PWM High Air Flow Silent Case Fan R4-BMBS-20PK-R0

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $59.99 FREE SHIPPING
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-8GAB

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-AD-7280S-0B-Internal-Drive-B... $21.27 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive (Black)

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Intern... $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003

http://www.amazon.com/Mushkin-Chronos-Deluxe-2-5-Inch-M... $255.98 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive (MKNSSDCR240GB-DX)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $524.99
GIGABYTE GV-N680OC-2GD GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Total: $1,685.90


http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Buil... $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack
m
0
l
May 5, 2012 3:52:53 AM

@UVb076
Lol. I think. You may be right, but I can buy an extra game with that $60!

@ Why_Me
That XFX PSU you link to at amazon is for model number P1850SNLB9, which I believe is a Bronze rated PSU and not the XXX edition.

@everyone
Why does everyone want me to get ASRock over Asus mobo?

@frozonic
Yes, I anticipate a second GTX 680 in the future. I will be running at 2560 x 1440 not 1080p. Also, I really wanted to get the Samsung 830 but I don't think I can justify paying $109 more than the now $200 M4.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 5, 2012 4:04:42 AM

I just built this PC a couple days ago with the ASRock Extreme4. It has all the connectors I need, a good power delivery system, and a very, very good price. It overclocked the 3570K to 4.4GHz on a 212 Evo at stock voltages and remained stable. What's not to love?

But, if you like Asus, get a "warm fuzzy" from their longer history of making mobos, or just feel better about getting a board that costs more since that certainly implies it has better engineering/parts/stability, then get it :)  If I wasn't trying to stay on a strict budget I'd probably have gotten a $200 Asus and been just as happy.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 5, 2012 4:07:58 AM

radiomir said:
@UVb076
Lol. I think. You may be right, but I can buy an extra game with that $60!

@ Why_Me
That XFX PSU you link to at amazon is for model number P1850SNLB9, which I believe is a Bronze rated PSU and not the XXX edition.

@everyone
Why does everyone want me to get ASRock over Asus mobo?

@frozonic
Yes, I anticipate a second GTX 680 in the future. I will be running at 2560 x 1440 not 1080p. Also, I really wanted to get the Samsung 830 but I don't think I can justify paying $109 more than the now $200 M4.

Good catch on that psu. I just ran it through google.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <---- that's the modular version.

With the Asrock board I believe it comes down to features and performance vs price. Other than wi fi the Asus board doesn't offer anything that the Asrock board has.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 5, 2012 4:32:09 AM

Quote:
hmmmm how exactly do plan to decently play games at 2560 x 1440 with high details with a sub 250$ card? i will suggest you to play at 1080p (same aspect ratio as 2560 x 1440) with the high details and some AA, i would never trade details for resolution and neither should you... games look ugly with low details :??:  well maybe its just me, idk, but you will get to play with the game setting once you buy your system!

The OP stated in that quoted post you made that he plans on eventually going with two gtx 680's. That's over $1000 in video cards.
m
0
l
May 9, 2012 9:11:18 PM

So.... I went ahead and ordered the Seasonic Platinum 860 because with the discount, it was only $30 more than the XFX XXX 850 Gold. I realize that I don't need the power of either of those now, but, from my experience with high end audio amplification, power supply is very important to me. It can never be too clean or too much.

Also, I went ahead and got the Crucial M4 256 GB for $200. Yes I wanted the Samsung 830, but I wasn't willing to pay $109 extra for it.

After seriously considering changing from the ASUS to the ASRock Extreme 6, I have decided to remain with ASUS for its support for the upcoming thunderbolt add-on card. This will be great for future photography workflow and possibly future displays and even external GPUs.

I'm still debating on a case, though. Right now I like the Corsair 500R and 600T, the Fractal R3, and the NZXT Phantom 410 and Switch 810. My PSU is too big for the Silverstone Raven rv03, unfortunately. I really wish the 500R or Fractal R3 had a window. It would then be a no brainer.
m
0
l
May 9, 2012 11:52:48 PM

Switch 810 or 600T. However I personally like the 650D.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 10, 2012 12:31:27 AM

UVB076 said:
Switch 810 or 600T. However I personally like the 650D.

If you look at the thermal test on the Corsair cases the 500R trumps them all. The 650D is a hot box unless you load it up with every little 120mm fan that it can hold.
m
0
l
May 10, 2012 9:38:59 PM

The 500R is an amazing case, extremely cool.
m
0
l
May 10, 2012 10:31:30 PM

If you're still going for the Samsung 830 256gb SSD via Amazon, Newegg has it for $289 last I checked.
m
0
l
May 11, 2012 2:22:44 PM

Thanks for all the help. This is what I ended up ordering:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - $229
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe - $269.49
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL5 (because it's blue...and a good cooler) - $99
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8 GB PC3-12800 Blue 1600mhz - $50
SSD: Crucial M4 256 GB - $200
GPU: EvGA GTX 670 - $399
Case: Corsair 500R White - I plan on modding a window - $119
PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-860 - $187
Optical Drive: LG WH12LS39 Blu-ray rewriter - $80
DVI to Mini DisplayPort Converter - ATLONA AT-DP400 - $65

Total Price: $1698

I saved a bit going with the 3570K over the 3770K, the 670 over the 680 (and its actually available), and by getting the M4 SSD over the Samsung 830. On the other hand, I splurged a bit on the mobo, fan, and PSU.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
May 11, 2012 4:18:07 PM

Congrats :)  Love the 500R - very quiet for being such a well-ventilated case. Good luck on the mod! I like having that giant fan on the side. Keeps things very, very cool.
Share
May 14, 2012 12:16:15 AM

Best answer selected by radiomir.
m
0
l
!