Constant reboot with PSU warning

jaraldo

Honorable
I just got my computer running, installed win 7, downloaded the drivers for my mobo. Now, upon restarting, my computer will crash and restart with the message "ANTI-SURGE has shutdown the system to protect from unstable power supply!"

I only have my computer/monitor in this outlet.

Is the power supply bad? Will I need a new one?

CPU= Intel Core i5 2500K CPU
MOBO= ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3
SSD= Patriot Pyro 120GB
PSU= CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W
ODD= ASUS 24X DVD Burner
RAM= CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB

suteck

Distinguished
After trying it in a couple different plugs around the house and it still does the same thing I would say yes to it being the power supply unit. Try resetting the bios back to default also if you made any changes.

jaraldo

Honorable
So a few things I forgot about:
-I was trying to run win XP before and was still in IDE mode when I installed win 7. (changed to ahci)
-had 2 lamps plugged in across the room to the same outlet as the computer. ( doubt this should matter)

I was able to run in safe mode with no trouble for 1 hour. Could it be some of the updates doing this?

Also, just incase, anyone know a better PSU without being too expensive? ($90-110 range would be nice)

jaraldo

Honorable
I can't even get windows to install now...at the end of installation, it just shuts down and says the surge happened.
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=346489
Is this topic correct in saying:
"Lastly, it's worth noting that on start-up, there will be a sudden and major power draw from the PSU which can result in a momentary voltage drop, this could be the 'surge' mis-detected by the motherboard"
And would taking off the Anti-Surge be worth it? I'm guessing the risk is it could fry my whole system though @@

For my system upon entering bios, the voltages are:
CPU= 1.136V-1.152
3.3V=3.312V
5v=5.080V
12v=12.096V

jaraldo

Honorable
I think I'm going to be stubborn and wait until tomorrow to order.
I've been reading and I'm not so sure it's a hardware problem yet.

Asus topic

Corsair on the subject:
BIOS and software readings are never 100% accurate and they can fluctuate. The only way to measure the rails accurately would be to use a digital multi-meter.

ATX spec also indicates that as long as the voltage stays within 5% of the rating for the rail then the PSU is within spec. For instance on the 12v rail this would equate to 11.4v-12.6v.

The biggest thought on my mind at this time is:
Risks of disabling anti-surge.

With the current PSU(corsair) I bought, it was on-sale and some forums have said it have problems so I have a hard time trusting it. If it is a "bad PSU" then I'm risking my entire system.
If it's a good one, then really there isn't much to worry about and it's a Asus software issue.

the choices the choices... :whistle:

I'm going to measure with a multimeter first to see if the voltages are correct. I'll report what I find out.

mopman411

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008

[strike]Did you change to AHCI after installing Win 7 or before?[/strike]

Scratch that previous sugestion. New PSU get this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207014

If you can RAM your old PSU before ordering the new one, may have gotten a bad one.