Constant reboot with PSU warning

I just got my computer running, installed win 7, downloaded the drivers for my mobo. Now, upon restarting, my computer will crash and restart with the message "ANTI-SURGE has shutdown the system to protect from unstable power supply!"

I only have my computer/monitor in this outlet.

Is the power supply bad? Will I need a new one?

CPU= Intel Core i5 2500K CPU
MOBO= ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3
SSD= Patriot Pyro 120GB
PSU= CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W
ODD= ASUS 24X DVD Burner
RAM= CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB
10 answers Last reply
More about constant reboot warning
  1. After trying it in a couple different plugs around the house and it still does the same thing I would say yes to it being the power supply unit. Try resetting the bios back to default also if you made any changes.
  2. I've heard of problems from the Corsair builder series, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is the problem.
  3. So a few things I forgot about:
    -I was trying to run win XP before and was still in IDE mode when I installed win 7. (changed to ahci)
    -had 2 lamps plugged in across the room to the same outlet as the computer. ( doubt this should matter)

I was able to run in safe mode with no trouble for 1 hour. Could it be some of the updates doing this?

Also, just incase, anyone know a better PSU without being too expensive? ($90-110 range would be nice)
  4. I can't even get windows to install now...at the end of installation, it just shuts down and says the surge happened.
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=346489
    Is this topic correct in saying:
    "Lastly, it's worth noting that on start-up, there will be a sudden and major power draw from the PSU which can result in a momentary voltage drop, this could be the 'surge' mis-detected by the motherboard"
    And would taking off the Anti-Surge be worth it? I'm guessing the risk is it could fry my whole system though @@

For my system upon entering bios, the voltages are:
    CPU= 1.136V-1.152
    3.3V=3.312V
    5v=5.080V
    12v=12.096V
  5. It's either a faulty mobo or psu. I'd still try changing out the psu first.
  6. Bah, disappointing :(
    Guess I'll order a new one today.

So my options:

-Should I try for this corsair model again? They do seem to have ok reviews and I could have gotten unlucky with a bad one.

-Seasonic m12II 620

Any other suggestions are welcomed :) .
    Would really like to order today.
  7. I would get that one. seasonic is awesome!
  8. I think I'm going to be stubborn and wait until tomorrow to order.
    I've been reading and I'm not so sure it's a hardware problem yet.

Asus topic

Corsair on the subject:
    Quote:
    BIOS and software readings are never 100% accurate and they can fluctuate. The only way to measure the rails accurately would be to use a digital multi-meter.

ATX spec also indicates that as long as the voltage stays within 5% of the rating for the rail then the PSU is within spec. For instance on the 12v rail this would equate to 11.4v-12.6v.

The biggest thought on my mind at this time is:
    Risks of disabling anti-surge.

With the current PSU(corsair) I bought, it was on-sale and some forums have said it have problems so I have a hard time trusting it. If it is a "bad PSU" then I'm risking my entire system.
    If it's a good one, then really there isn't much to worry about and it's a Asus software issue.

the choices the choices... :whistle:

I'm going to measure with a multimeter first to see if the voltages are correct. I'll report what I find out.
  9. jaraldo said:
    So a few things I forgot about:
    -I was trying to run win XP before and was still in IDE mode when I installed win 7. (changed to ahci)
    -had 2 lamps plugged in across the room to the same outlet as the computer. ( doubt this should matter)

I was able to run in safe mode with no trouble for 1 hour. Could it be some of the updates doing this?

Also, just incase, anyone know a better PSU without being too expensive? ($90-110 range would be nice)

Did you change to AHCI after installing Win 7 or before?

Scratch that previous sugestion. New PSU get this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207014

If you can RAM your old PSU before ordering the new one, may have gotten a bad one.
  10. Well I bought the seasonic.

I'll return the cx600 for a new one still. I need a back up rig anyways, only positive thing I can take away from this :p
    Hoping the return one isn't bad to.

Ty for the help everyone!
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Constant Reboot Computer Systems Product