Power Supply Help

Penhead

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Hello, Alright so here's the deal i'm starting to build my custom gaming computer, and i'm putting the list together of what i need to go get... So Far i have
Motherboard: Asus KGPE-D16
Processor: Intel Core I7-3960X
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz Edition
HDD’s: 6x Seagate Barracuda HDD 2 TB SATA-600
Ram chips: 8x Vengeance 16GB Channel DDR3 Memory Kit
ODD: DVD-ROM Half Height SH-118AB
Case: Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T Mid Tower Case

Now, i know for sure that's what i'm getting so far... but i don't know what i should get for a Power supply, any suggestions? i need something to work... if you could help i'd be very grateful!

Penhead

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

a buddy of mine told me it would work...., i need 128GB of Ram+ so as much as i can get, any ideas? would you help me? i need 128Gb of ram+ i have a 3 screen set up already, i need a high power processor, power supply i'm not completely sure about... also usb 3.0's are a must as there will be no internal HDD, do let's plays on youtube and hate windows OS but i need to use it as my fans request games i can't play on my current mac -_- so i'll be transferring the recorded video by an external 3.0 drive and editing with imovie. so yeah and motherboard to make it all work, i'm not used to picking the parts out myself just building them at school, so the names and everything don't really mean anything to me, if someone could please for the love of god help me here. money isn't an issue, youtube is supplying that nicely i just don't want to pay the god awful prices of some company building it for me, and charging me 600 bucks for the label on it... thanks guys

You don't NEED 128GB of RAM. I can 100% guarantee you that. NOTHING that you will be doing requires more than 16GB, much less 128GB.

Besides, to be able to use 128GB, you'd need to go to a dual Xeon server setup (which you also DON'T need).

The board that I linked above will do ALL you need and more, trust me (capable of 64 GB of RAM itself, which is still WAY more than you need. Again, trust me).

That 3960x with 16-32GB of RAM and that GPU will be a great gaming system and a brilliant editing machine as well.

Also, your "buddy" obviously ISN'T very computer literate. I'm guessing HE'S the one that told you you NEED 128GB of RAM, right? No. Just no.

Edit: I also HAVE to ask this. Why no internal drives? That just seems crazy. 2 or 3 External drives, I can see, I guess, but 6? I just don't get it. That board that I linked has 4 USB 3.0 ports on the back panel plus internal connectors for 2 more on the case's front panel, so it'll work, I suppose, but I just don't understand what you're thinking there.

At least have ONE internal drive for the boot/system drive. It just doesn't make ANY SENSE AT ALL to have the boot drive be external.

Penhead

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

i record, so more ram, equals better play and better for running skype, my recording software, my game and my music, while i'm playing multiplayer. for all my games plus i need a big video card, but thanks i'll look into it, i might just put like a little 250Gig internal HDD for boot, but otherwise, i'll be transferring all saved records to my rendering computer... because i hate windows computers just the fans want more games so yeah..