Sign in with
Your question

I5-2500K Overheating 92 C (under prime95)

Last response: in CPUs
August 10, 2012 11:12:36 PM

I have a I5-2500K processor, idle it is 35-45 C when I use prime95 it jumps to 91-92 C, I read that 70 is a ok temperature for the 2500k under stress, as mine is 20 C higher I suspect no good. Before it was idle 45-55 C and under stress (just L.A. Noire at highest) it was 98 C (!!) I took off and re-attached the stock cooler because I guessed it might be that and it gave me as it shows about -10 C, but it is still very hot under full load.

Any suggestions on actions I should take to get this baby down? I took off the side of my case just to see if It make a difference it did nothing and my room is normally pretty cool anyway. Should I get new thermal paste and cooler? If so what ones and a guide on how to do it correctly (Never done that before..)

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and comments. :D 

(I saw the other thread about I5-2500k but my under stress temps are much higher)
a c 109 à CPUs
August 10, 2012 11:30:26 PM

Please list your CPU cooler, and preferabley a HWMonitor and CPU-Z Screenshot while you're doing stress tests. The information you have posted is inadequate for people here to make an educated decision..too many factors. :) 

Once you post those, we'll be glad to help!
Related resources
a c 109 à CPUs
August 10, 2012 11:58:40 PM

Hmm now that's very concerning...

Did you take off your cooler before these temperatures started appearing? Or is it the way you left it?

Also, what is your current room temperature? (Preferably in C :)  ) And is there any dust build up in your case?

One thing you could also try is taking off the side panel on your case and running Prime95, and see if that helps your temperatures any. This would lead me to believe it's more of an airflow issue.
August 11, 2012 12:12:02 AM

I think it was the way I left it that it wasn't correctly on perhaps? My brother put it in for me as he knows building computers better than I.

I'm not sure of the exact temperature as what the AC says is only relevant to upstairs but probably 70-75 C at the moment, although it gets colder through the night.

And with the side of the case off http://imgur.com/7SGUU does not seem to be any difference.
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2012 12:32:17 AM

is the cooler itself hot to the touch?

If not, then heat is not flowing from the CPU->Cooler. Redo thermal grease and heatsink (properly, not just remove it and put it back on). Read guide:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.ht...

If cooler is Hot, then heat is flowing from cpu->cooler, but cooler cannot keep up.
You should try a more robust cooler.
Coolermaster 212evo (or plus) is often recommended as an affordable choice, but takes slightly more effort to install
August 11, 2012 12:47:57 AM

It is not hot to the touch, quite cool.

It did not come with any more thermal compound, it already stuck onto the heat sink when It arrived.

I also do not have any of the tools to remove the compound.. do you have the links for were I could get both the thermal compound and the removing products? (newegg.ca/tigerdirect.ca perferably).

And would it be worth getting the other cooler? (Will it make a lot of difference, do you think/be worth it as the shipping for just the thermal and such will probably be the same as the actual thermal)
a c 109 à CPUs
August 11, 2012 12:50:45 AM

zeckor said:
It is not hot to the touch, quite cool.

It did not come with any more thermal compound, it already stuck onto the heat sink when It arrived.

I also do not have any of the tools to remove the compound.. do you have the links for were I could get both the thermal compound and the removing products? (newegg.ca/tigerdirect.ca perferably).

And would it be worth getting the other cooler? (Will it make a lot of difference, do you think/be worth it as the shipping for just the thermal and such will probably be the same as the actual thermal)

Yes, yes, and yes! Getting a different cooler will CERTAINLY make a HUGE difference.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... I HIGHLY recommend this cooler, and so will other people on this forum. It's not very expensive, and it's one of the best coolers in it's price range. It also comes with some Thermal Compound inside the box so you don't have to worry.

As for removing your old compound, all you have to do is get some 99% Isopropyl Alcohol (70% will also suffice), and a paper towel (I use coffee filters) and wipe the surface of your CPU and heatsink :) 

Here's a guide for a better set of instructions - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/333968-28-thermal-pas...
August 11, 2012 12:58:17 AM

Thank you very much! Just bought the cooler (am I too trusting? xD) and will look around for the 99/70% Isoproply Alchohol :D 

Also, until I get the new cooler, would you suggest I leave the thermal on? I won't be doing any real gaming/anything that puts stress on my computer until I get the new one just for internet and such

(I love this forum :3)
a c 109 à CPUs
August 11, 2012 1:02:04 AM

***DELETED POST DUE TO DOUBLE POSTING***

Sorry.
a c 109 à CPUs
August 11, 2012 1:04:07 AM

zeckor said:
Thank you very much! Just bought the cooler (am I too trusting? xD) and will look around for the 99/70% Isoproply Alchohol :D 

Also, until I get the new cooler, would you suggest I leave the thermal on? I won't be doing any real gaming/anything that puts stress on my computer until I get the new one just for internet and such

(I love this forum :3)

Oh nah I wouldn't consider that 'too trusting'! :lol:  I use the same cooler (Pretty much basically, Hyper 212 Plus is an older version of the Evo...look in my siggy :)  ) And many others use it too, so it's a VERY trusted and very reputable cooler! :) 

And yes, I suggest you keep everything the way it is until you get the new cooler, don't want to run your PC without it! :lol: 

Glad you like this forum :)  And have fun+good luck!

**EDIT***

For your reference :)  Just in case! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSltsAMIoAs
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2012 3:44:40 AM

along those lines, just reset the bios first
August 11, 2012 5:03:17 AM

Quote:
Double-check all the push pins..make sure they're all clicked in.
You could disable a core to keep heat down until you get a new cooler.
Also..you got up to 1.3v @ stock..Something's wrong there...Can you lower voltage?

raytseng said:
along those lines, just reset the bios first

All the pins are secure, and I'm not sure how I would lower the voltage.

Also not sure about how to reset the bios... :s
August 13, 2012 3:32:31 AM

http://imgur.com/h2vC7,diu7S

The blue and white cord is from the power button, what I did was (assuming for counting the pin numbers from left to right and then the second level being #3 unplugged the cord from 1+2 and turned it sideways and plugged it into 2+3 yet it still says 1.3 V what have I done this time? :s

Thanks in advance, and is 1.3 v bad? :s
August 13, 2012 7:04:13 PM

Hmm, when I run prime 95 it starts at 1.3 volts but after a few seconds goes down to mid 1.2 ish and after a bit longer (still in same test) its at 1.1 ish (but moving back between 1.2 and 1.1) Was it just the timing of the pic that gave you the wrong impression? Or is this still not good?

I also saw I was at 4300MHz 4.3 GHz the stock speed for my processor is 3.3 did my processor come pre-overclocked? (I'm not really complaining more speed is good and will have nice cooler tomorrow

Cooler here wasent sure if I installed the thermal right but with prime95 the highest is has gotten is 62C on one of the cores, idle about 30ish :D 
!