GPU making loud screeching noise

pleasehelpme4

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
I honestly can't take it anymore. My graphics card is making a loud humming, screeching noise, whatever you want to call it.

I can safely say it is the gpu since I took the whole thing out and ran the computer and the noise was gone. I have also done some research and read up on coil whine. I have stuck my ear up to a straw to all the caps and they are not causing the problem (at least I think). I have manually stopped the fan with my hands, noise still occurs. I have ran the computer with the fan and heatsink of the gpu disconnected (only for few seconds), noise still occurs. This also is not some random thing. The noise does not only occur during games, but rather from startup, to idling on the desktop, to shutdown. I have reconnected all my power supply cables to the motherboard, reseated my graphics card multiple times, noise still occurs.

It is not hindering performance from what I can tell, which is a relief. Games still run at normal fps counts and the gpu temps stay reasonable.

Here are my specs...

Mobo-Asus P7H55-M Pro
CPU-i5 760
GPU-Geforce 9800gt
PSU-GS Series BFG Tech 450 watt ATX 12V 2.2

I would like to fix this problem without buying a new card. Please someone help me from going insane.

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

I feel your pain mate, but honestly. There not much you can do about it, you could try the nail polish trick, but that's fairly risky.

If the cards still under warranty, RMA it. But i doubt it would be.

Does it only happen during certain games, and with the framerate running high? like in game menus. The same thing has happened to my GTX 580, it can be fairly bad, but i just havent had the time to RMA it.

pleasehelpme4

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012

Where would this separate power plug be located? Is it next to the fan plug? I am also going to assume this is not the problem since the noise only started about a week ago.

pleasehelpme4

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012

It happens all the time. It happens during games, during internet browsing, during nothing open while staring at my desktop. It's not under warranty anymore.