[SOLVED] I5-2500k Major Overheating (Idles 75-98C)

Tyronis3

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
I have a I5-2500k Sandy Bridge. I haven't had any problems with it until just now. I tried to open Minecraft, but my PC slowed WAY down. I manually held down the power button until it turned off. I tried restarting it a few times, but it would only turn on for a few seconds before shutting down again. I waited a minute or so and tried again. This time it booted to BIOS and told me my CPU temp was ~205F. When I saw this I immediately shut down. I waited 30-40 mins before booting again. This time it launched fine, but when I checked Real Temp it told me my CPU was at 95C idling. As I finish writing this, it's dropped to 75C minimum.
I'm pretty sure something is wrong here, can someone help me out?

voodooking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012

We are going to need alot more information than that. How long hve you had it? Have you cleaned the inside of the case? ect. ect ect.

D

Deleted member 217926

Sounds to me like you need to reseat the heatsink and reapply thermal paste before you try turning the computer on again.

And if it's the stock cooler (which I'm guessing that it is), you need to make sure that when you re-seat it, you get all 4 pins in securely. The pins on those stock Intel coolers are a bear to get right. You may think that you have it right, but you still need to be sure.

Tyronis3

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Thanks for all the replies.
Here is some more info:

Using the stock cooler
Not overclocking
I've had the computer for a little over a year I think.

I will look into reseating the heat sink and putting on more thermal paste.

I hope you mean cleaning off the old paste and reapplying new one. Putting on more will have the reverse effect :)

Tyronis3

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Thanks so much for all the help guys!
My thermal paste was complete dried up. I got all the dust out of my system, removed the old, dry, thermal paste and put on new paste. Now I idle at a cool 40C