Sign in with
Your question

CPU Upgrade?

Last response: in CPUs
August 11, 2012 1:43:03 AM

I recently have been having some issues while doing some video editing. I know part of it may be due to the length of movies I have been working on, which has increased greatly, so I am wondering what kind of upgrade(s) I should be looking at. Although limited because of the mobo I installed, I'm wondering if a new CPU would work or if I should just look at building a whole new machine. With the updated BIOS, I could put a Quad Core processor in and was wondering what others may think of that. At least for starters. The current machine was built in 2004 and with only a few upgrades, works fantastically. Except for the video editing. There's no real specific part except I continuously receive the "not responding" message for about 10-15 sec and then everything works fine. Even when I just try to splice a video clip.

I haven't seen anything to show red flags, i.e. hdd overloaded or any temps being too high (cpu and mobo run about 40 degrees celsius), but it's just frustrating since I was asked by other person to help them with a video. Oh, and the current software I'm using is Pinnacle Studio 15 Ultimate.

Here are the specs of my current machine:

Operating System: Win 7 32bit
CPU: Pentium 4 550 3.4ghz 90nm technology 800mh FSB
RAM: Corsair Xms3 4gb DDR2 @ 334mhz (5-5-5-15) (yes, I know only 3gb are recognized since it's a 32bit os)
Mobo: Asus P5W Dh Deluxe
Video: ATI Radeon HD 5570
HDD: Sata 500gb
PSU: 500w Thermaltake

More about : cpu upgrade

a c 234 à CPUs
August 11, 2012 2:12:37 AM

It's time for a new computer. I can't even imagine how painful doing video editing on a Pentium 4 is although I used to do it. Thankfully I have blocked the memories of that experience out. :kaola: 

Seriously something that takes 2 hours with that Pentium 4 could be done in 10 minutes with my i7 2600K.

You would be limited to an early Core2Duo with that motherboard.

If you have a budget I can help you put a build together. Just for reference for video editing I would look at:

i7 2600K or i7 3770K
Z77 motherboard
8 to 16GB of DDR3 1600
64 bit Windows 7
128-256GB SSD
500GB - 2TB of hard drives for storage.

The video card will not matter too much but I would replace the PSU just because Thermaltake brand power supplies are generally trash.
m
l
August 11, 2012 2:39:33 AM

Thanks anort. I was pretty much assuming that. Given the computer was built nearly 10 years ago, it is time to move on. Just gonna take me a little bit to save up some dough. On some sort of bright side, I could at least turn this computer over to a family one :-)

One other question for ya. What video editing software do you prefer? I'm a little fond of Pinnacle, but it definitely has some limitations and headaches. I'd love to switch to Adobe Premier, but I don't do that much editing to spend the time and learning it. What do you think about Corel Videostudio Pro X5?
m
l
!